Talk

Advanced search

Lazy spa for home birth

(11 Posts)
massagegirl Mon 15-Apr-13 16:59:14

I just wondered if anyone has used one of these inflatable spas for a home birth?
I really like that you can keep it warm and can use it beforehand to ease pregnancy aches.
Has anyone got any experiences or recommendations?

Thank you!

QTPie Mon 15-Apr-13 17:49:10

Do you want to use the pump?

I wouldn't think that it would've a good idea at all. Pumps (whether jacuzzis, jacuzzi baths, pools or lazy-spas) collect nasties (bacteria and general icky-ness). It doesn't matter how much you attempt to clean the pump, it still won't be completely sanitary. So even if you fill the pool with clean water, the water that you are passing through the pump will pick up bacteria from the pump - so the recirculated water will not be clean. Firstly - unless the pump was unused and brand new - the recirculated water would be a very undesirable medium to birth a baby into. Secondly, water births can create their own (fresh) mess (that tend to require "fishing nets" or agood pool clean afterwards...): not stuff that you want getting into your spa pump to be recirculated another day...

So I wouldn't use the pump. Unless maybe you bought a brand new one for the occasion and then got rid of it...

massagegirl Thu 18-Apr-13 20:35:01

Thanks for your reply. I'd read about others using them but if bacteria etc isn't going to be safe for the baby then clearly not an option. Just when you look at hiring a pool that stays warm it's over £200 and I hate the idea if being in a birth pool which doesn't stay warm, I wouldn't find that soothing it would just piss me off!

QTPie Thu 18-Apr-13 21:27:23

Hi

You could ask a midwife - it isn't impossible that I could be wrong - but logically it doesn't seem like a good idea.

Do you know anyone who has had a home water birth? Ask them about keeping it warm. A friend of mine has had two and didn't mention the water getting cold (although I didn't specifically ask...).

QT

brainonastick Thu 18-Apr-13 21:31:32

I had one, it was specifically marketed for births, so you had to regularly add disinfecting powder. Was bloody lovely for floating around for a week or so before birth, which was just as well, as didn't get to use it for the actual labour!

brainonastick Thu 18-Apr-13 21:35:17

If your concern is the warmth of the water during labour - really don't bother about spending the extra. I had a regular pool second time, which I did actually use in labour. Provided your boiler can crank out a decent amount of hot water, it's easy to get it to the right temperature. (I'm assuming it was anyway - clearly wasn't my remit on the day!) You'll probably find that you want the temp to drop as labour goes on anyway, as it's such bloody are work you get quite hot!

brainonastick Thu 18-Apr-13 21:35:37

hard work

massagegirl Fri 19-Apr-13 00:26:32

Thanks brain... Yeah like the idea of using it for ante natal floating! Which brand did you use?

massagegirl Fri 19-Apr-13 00:29:34

Also our boiler is ancient so not sure could rely on to fill whole pool whilst in labour.

noeyedeer Fri 19-Apr-13 17:36:08

pump cleaning - Put pump in a bucket with milton solution, attach hose to pump and put other end in bucket. Leave running for 1/2 an hour. Simples.

I had a bog standard birth pool in a box and DH found it easy enough to keep warm with the odd kettle of boiling water added and bucket of cold taken away. We did have a good boiler though.

brainonastick Fri 19-Apr-13 19:00:56

Our boiler was ancient too, but unless you have a very fast labour, there's plenty of time to get it on and warming a whole tank, fill up the pool, then on for another tank. It didn't seem to be a problem. Top tip was to add all the hot you have first, then dilute with cold, as you can always make it colder, but hotter might take time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now