Talk

Advanced search

Stitches burst after episiotomy - hyper-sensitive pubic area

(11 Posts)
Novia Sun 14-Apr-13 19:53:36

Hi - just trying to find out if anyone else has had this issue and has any advice?

I had my baby 10 days ago after a ventouse/episiotomy. My stitches burst after a couple of days and following this I got three different infections. This has been incredibly painful and I'm terrified of the end result when it's finally healed. I've been on antibiotics for the last couple of days and they are finally beginning to kick in.

Over the last few days I have had hyper-sensitivity in my clitoral/front pubic area, which is increasingly uncomfortable. I have no idea what it is, or what to do about it.

I just feel traumatised enough by the whole episiotomy issue and adding this in too is a bit crushing. I suppose Im looking for some reassurance that this is normal and it will go? Has anyone else got any experience they could share?

Thank you.

MyBalletShoes Sun 14-Apr-13 22:23:27

Hi Novia!

I could have written your post. Ventouse, episiotomy plus a tear, Stitches came undone too soon, followed by infections that never seemed to clear up mainly due to the fact that I had reactions to two types of antibiotics. hmm Not a happy time at all!

But, it got better. I won't lie. DS is 6 months (tomorrow) and he was 3 months before it started to feel easier and 4 months before I woke up one day and thought 'wow, no pain at all!'

I remember those first few weeks of feeling like I would never be right again, I'd never feel better, never be able to walk without pain. It just took time.

My only advice would be to keep bothering people and don't feel bad! I refused to be signed off from the midwives until 3 weeks (ish - its a slight blur!) after the birth and they were still coming every 24/48 hours within that period because I just wasn't right. In the following months I went to the doctors a few times as I needed the reassurance of them saying it was all healing, even if it was just doing so very slowly. I was glad I did because one doctor caught another infection before it got out of hand.

When did you last see a midwife/doctor? Can you get an appointment for someone to check you over tomorrow?

cravingcake Sun 14-Apr-13 23:15:52

Congratulations on your new baby. As myballetshoes says, it really does get better and it is still very early days. Each week that passes will be an improvement on the last.

The main thing to try to do is avoid infection. Salt baths are good. A drop or 2 of Tea tree oil on a maternity pad. Dry the area after shower/bath with a hair dryer rather than rubbing, or very gently pat and if you can let the area have some air, lay down on a clean towel on the bed for 10 mins legs akimbo. Definitely go back to your gp at anytime if you need to, its what they are there for. And for now take pain killers as required (ibuprofen and paracetamol both fine if breastfeeding).

As for long term, everyone is different. I'm 18 months on and still have pain along my scar when my period is due and some days it just aches but its managable.

Novia Mon 15-Apr-13 10:17:11

Thanks for your replies, much appreciated. It is so upsetting, but at least I feel like the antibiotics might finally be working. The episiotomy area is feeling less painful, but over the last few days I've developed a sort of hyper-sensitivity around the clitoral area and doing my kegel exercises is quite painful - did you have this? And if so, did it go? It's really uncomfortable and constant.

MyBalletShoes Mon 15-Apr-13 10:43:24

It is upsetting but you sound like you're doing great. I felt like I could have planned for anything but not that amount of pain after the birth! So, it's really important to be kind to yourself.

As for the pain, I didn't have any hyper sensitivity like you're describing which is why it's probably best to go back to the doctors and get them to check. And for what it's worth the physiotherapist I saw told me not to do the pelvic floor exercises if I was in pain so I didn't start mine for quite a bit after the birth.

It is very early days and you will heal. Trust your body to do what it needs to do but also trust your instincts - if something just doesn't seem right, go back to the doctors.

cravingcake Mon 15-Apr-13 11:54:21

I don't think I had the same pain that you describe, but I had a 4th degree tear along with forceps and shoulder dystocia as well so the whole area was just agony. I do remember having sort of sharp pains towards the front/clitoral area occasionally but I just put this down to my body trying to heal itself, and it wasn't regular or constant. I would suggest you mention it to your midwife, health visitor or your gp. I don't think it would be anything to worry about, more that it could be something simple to treat like a UTI.

KelleStar Tue 16-Apr-13 08:23:53

Novia, I had an episiotomy when I had DD, my surface stitches dissolved quickly and brought in infection, the muscular ones stayed in place much longer and held everything together, roughly. I found lots of 'airing' helped.

I remember that when BF'ing I had some really tingly sensitivity in the clitoris area, it passed though after feeding and was occasional over the following 8 weeks, it also wasn't every feed.

Novia Wed 17-Apr-13 15:49:07

Checked again today and still not healing. Now taking three types of ABs - 15 pills per day!

TheYoniKeeper Wed 17-Apr-13 15:58:02

I had exactly this and a weird dull ache that sort of went around the clitoral area (but not the actual thing) & down the side of each inner labia ifswim...almost felt like the skin was being slightly pulled. It went after a month or so and trust me, I looked horrific down there for a while but now just have a slight difference on one side that isn't obvious to the untrained eye or my partner. I think I notice more as it's personal too.

So please don't worry smile

And be as persistent as you need to be with the GP etc. It's what they're there for.

TheYoniKeeper Wed 17-Apr-13 15:59:16

(and I remember crying for about 4 weeks straight after the first time I had a look myself. God it was terrifying! Hope you get better soon)

Novia Wed 17-Apr-13 16:02:25

Thanks YoniKeeper - sounds exactly like me. Just feel sick of feeling sick at the moment...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now