Talk

Advanced search

Homebirth Birth Plan

(7 Posts)
thepartysover Fri 12-Apr-13 11:12:22

I know opinion is divided on birth plans but it works for me. This is my second baby and I'm hoping for a birth experience far removed from my first (very medicalised) labour.

What might I like to add to a birth plan?

Notmyidea Fri 12-Apr-13 14:28:09

think about how you feel about continuous monitoring, water, how you could stay active...
Just a start.
What happened last time that you want to avoid?

ICompletelyKnowAboutGuineaPigs Fri 12-Apr-13 15:30:05

My HB birth plan consists of stating I want to be active during labour and what/who I want to be there at different stages etc. TBH the actual labour section is short as lots of the options available in hospital aren't available at home (i.e. pharmacological pain relief, continuous monitoring etc).

Most of my 'birth plan' consists of saying my preferences re. third stage, what I want when baby arrives and also under what circumstances I would transfer to hospital. Obviously if it was an emergency I would go in regardless but I've done a lot of research about different aspects of labour/birth this time and there are some of the more standard reasons for transfer that I would prefer to wait/discuss further (i.e. failure to progress).

I really did it so that the MWs that come will understand my preferences as by the time they arrive I probably won't be very coherent! It was also helpful as a discussion between me and DH. I'm approaching it as birth preferences rather than a plan because I know I need to remain flexible as birth can be unpredictable but I have found it a really helpful exercise.

thepartysover Fri 12-Apr-13 16:16:31

Notmyidea - I really just felt a loss of control. Hoping that being in my own environment will remedy that.

ICompletelyKnowAboutGuineaPigs - This is exactly how I feel. 'Birth Preferences' is absolutely right...

bogwoppitinatree Mon 15-Apr-13 14:33:12

I am going to mention vaginal examinations, when I want the cord to be clamped, whether I want the baby cleaned straight away or skin to skin contact and whether I want a vit K injection.
I will also say that I want the minimum of intervention in every stage, fingers crossed hey!

thepartysover Mon 15-Apr-13 20:29:34

bogwoppitinatree - thanks for putting it so concisely! I'm making notes...

nannyl Thu 18-Apr-13 14:27:15

My home birth included things like

midwifes help themselves to anything from my kitchen
what we would do in the event of hospital transfer.
delayed chord clamping
oh to cut the chord and tell me if boy or girl
skin to skin
no injection unless i asked for it
no pain relief unless i asked for it
do NOT ask me to lie on my back
minimal monitoring.
Vit K by injection
do not get baby dressed until i am ready as long as it takes.

My birth plan for number 2 (due in 9 weeks) will be nearly the same
differences being NO VE at all unless i feel the need to be examined or feel something is wrong.
DO NOT make me lie on my back at all.
No injection unless medically necessary or 90mins has passed since birh

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now