Our DD was born at home and it was a wonderful experience for her and us as a family, that is until my partner suffered a postpartum hemorrhage. Nevertheless she was immediately taken to hospital, cared for and discharged the next day (she didn't require a blood transfusion).
We would love a home birth again but have been warned this is unlikely because of the hemorrhage.
I had a pph with my first in hospital and had 2 home births after that. Is there any reason why you may have a pph? For me I think it was something to do with having a drip to speed up labour, but that wouldn't be the case at home. They were very keen for me to have the injection to speed up the third stage, which I had. I was told this would reduce the risk of a serious bleed. You can have a home birth against medical advice and the midwives still have a duty to come out to you. Good luckwith your decision.
I had a PPH with the first - like Brownowlahi probably caused by an induction. Beautiful drug-free homebirth with the second. Don't let them tell you it's a reason not to have a homebirth. Nor do you have to have the injection for the third stage second time around: I didn't.
Will she be 'allowed'? I had a PPH with my first- it was pretty severe though- and I had two c- sections after her on medical advice. It depends on the reason for the PPH because I had added complications.
I had a fairly severe PPH after dc1 which required two blood transfusions. I had been transferred to hospital due to slow progression in planned home birth. I tried to book into a midwife-led centre for dc2 but was refused due to previous PPH. However, I was told a home birth would be acceptable if requested! Didn't make any sense to me, but there you go....
I had PPH in hospital with DS1 (needed blood transfusions afterwards) and was advised against HB & MLU with DS2.
I imagine I could have challenged it but (a) I actually had a very positive birth experience in hospital last time and am happy to deliver there again and (b) DH found the experience traumatic (more than I did as he was left holding the baby for 2 hours while I was in theatre) and will feel much more comfortable with us being on delivery suite.
But if we hadn't been happy with it, we'd have discussed the options in more detail and teased out the reasons behind the PPH and the increased risk (or otherwise) of it happening again, and then made our decision.
I had a severe pph (having planned a home birth-one of the very few situations where I was actually lucky to be in hospital rather than birthing at home). I am very pro home births and this one was initially planned with a supervisor of midwives as a vbac.
However in my debrief it was made very clear I would be safer in hospital if I was to have another one. Not that it would nec happen again but it was quite possible and I'd be dead if I lost that much again. In my case I'd not risk it, and I'm very pro home birth. Can you arrange to chat with a midwife supervisor and go through your previous notes?
so planned ah homebirth next time (midwife very unspportive so she had an independant midwife)
There was a big study published in November which conclude PPH are more likely in hospital then at home.... of course they can happen anywhere, but the risk is lower at home.
Im pleased to hear your partner is doing ok
Im planning my second homebirth, but the thing that actually bothers me the most is severe PPH at home, rather than in hospital, as that is a real worst case scenario, but i just hope it wont happen to me, and also that i am reducing lots of other risks by being at home too.
I had a severe delayed pph with DC2 and was refused all support for a home birth with all successive DCs, though it would have been so much more straightforward with childcare. Point blank refusal from all medics concerned.
remember that unless you have been sectioned no medical proffessional can "refuse" you a homebirth
they can give "advise" but the decision is yours and only yours..... there is no "not allowed a homebirth".... everyone is allowed to choose where they birth, so long as they are of sound mind, and is entitled to a midwife to attend them in labour wherever they are.
nannyl I wasn't sectioned or indeed sectionable but in my case the doctors made it very, very difficult. They quite rightly have a duty to spell out the risks they assess in a particular case which means one feels trapped by guilt at what might happen to the baby. I was left in no doubt that the decision to go ahead would have been not just foolish but selfish.