Hi all, I have just come back from a consultant appointment about the date of my induction, and she has frightened the crap out of me by saying that if i try for a vaginal birth following a c-section then there is a 1/500 chance that the scar will open internally. She said that if i go for a vbac with induction then this can rise to as much as 1/100. Has anyone else had an induced Vbac? If so what were your experiences and would you do it again if you had your time over. I am so stressed out about this now that i am tempted to just book in for an elective.
I was induced for a vbac, unfortunately I ended up with a crash section, but that was due to a cord prolapse, my scar didn't rupture and I had decided it was worth the risk (obviously a personal decision). Had the cord not prolapsed at the last minute there would have been no problems
I was induced for DS (12 years ago!) for a vbac. I wasn't keen on induction because of the risks of rupture, but I was 14 days overdue and going crazy. The midwives kept the drip turned low so the contractions didn't increase suddenly and helped me to stay mobile for as long as possible. The birth went well and I had no rupture and no further intervention.
I have had 3DCs, one CS under spinal block, one crash CS and one normal delivery. Normal delivery was the easiest to recover from, but a cs with a spinal block was a very positive experience for me so don't worry if you decide to have a planned cs.
I'm in a similar position so looked into this. There's a fair bit of info in this document: http://www.rcog.org.uk/files/rcog-corp/GTG4511022011.pdf on the royal college of obs and gynae website if you want more research stuff. From what I can make out the risk of rupture varies according to how they do the induction. I think a lot of units don't use the prostaglandin pessaries to induce a vbac, but will use the syntocin drip as it can be turned down or off if needed. Personally I find the risk of conversion to emergency cs of more concern for me as I'd be really disappointed to go through the same experience of a long and painful labour and end up in theatre in the early hours when I know I could opt for a less stressful elcs and go home the next day. I think that just shows its a personal descion, not that you should worry about this too!
The risk of UR with a spontaneous labour is very small. IMHO the increased risk of UR with induction makes it unacceptable (to me). I would certainly discuss it further with your doctor/midwife. Are they recommending VBAC or CS for you? And do you have a preference?
thanks all. Doodle alley, Re: immobility: I have been told they have some new kit which should allow me to be monitored and still have a water birth which would be brilliant if i decide to go ahead with VBAC, but after doing a bit of research i am leaning towards an elective. Will do more research, talk to DH, and then discuss with consultant. At the end of the day if i am really worried from the word go, then natural labour will not be an easy ride anyway. Thank you everyone for advice so far.
I've also looked into all of this, and for me, personally, I'm OK about trying for VBAC with no induction, but I would ELCS rather than be induced.
However, it's a close run thing because as someone who's only had an EMCS, and never given birth vaginally at all it's less likely that I'll succeed with VBAC than someone who has had one normally. I think that if I was going to be continually monitored, immobilised in bed then I would actually opt for the ELCS as I remember that the first time the only way I managed was being able to fidget (I had mobile monitors when being induced for my first one)