Talk

Advanced search

VBAC at the Portland?!

(6 Posts)
MooMe Tue 02-Apr-13 22:15:39

Hi all
Would love some help and advice.

DC was born in a horrendous emcs (won't go into all the gory details).
Am currently prg with no2.
This time around, I have a private, lovely OB, who is keen on me having another section.

I was really keen on a vbac before starting private care, but he is trying to dissuade me, and truth be told- I'm having second thoughts.
I think I'm a bit afraid of giving birth (vaginally or via cs), and currently see cs as the only way of "controlling" the situation and my fears. He of course knows that and really "pushes" in that direction (though not through bullying, just keeps on talking about that being "The only option", and me being so unsure myself- don't know how and if to answer to that)

The birth will probably take place at The Portland- haven't met the MWs there yet, but was just wondering if anyone had an experience with a vbac there (are they even supportive of it?) and if anyone has any tips on how to handle my decisions, indecision, and fears.

(Have tried hypnotherapy which turned out to be nothing more than a waste of money hmm, GP isn't being too cooperative about mental health help- she says it'll go "on my files/records" and that I'll be "monitored too closely" afterwards and can't afford private consultations- over 120£ per meeting!)

Sorry for lengthy post, and thanks in advance smile

anonymosity Wed 03-Apr-13 00:23:19

I had my DS at the Portland in 2006, a vaginal birth with a midwife there. I did not have a good experience (due to the particular failings of one particular mw who may not be there anymore, nor is she necessarily any reflection on the others) and chose for my 2nd child (DD) to go with a private OB at a different hospital.

I think if you have an OB you don't need to worry about the MWs so much as he / she is in charge of the birth and they are in more supporting roles.

My OB was very definite that I should have a V birth as I'd done it with the first one, even though number 2 was breech until the 28th week. He said if it came to it, he'd simply "turn her" if necessary (it wasn't). But ultimately, if you have a private OB and your'e paying the bill you can choose how to give birth yourself.

If you've had a CS and you know how that can go, I see absolutely no reason why you shouldn't do it again. No matter how you get the child out, its no the most fun experience in the world - just make sure you choose a method which is safest for you and the child is what I'd suggest.

And remember - its such a wonderful outcome, if you can focus on that it may help mitigate the fears.

anonymosity Wed 03-Apr-13 00:37:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Audrey2013 Wed 03-Apr-13 01:03:01

MooMe, how far along are you? How soon do you need to decide?

I am only pregnant with my first (so don't know anything!) but I think if you don't feel strongly about natural birth, if you don't want to do whatever it takes to achieve it, then perhaps it is not worth attempting it? I mean if you are having second thoughts you are probably more likely to stop trying at the first signs of anything going wrong (and end up with CS anyway)?

Sorry if I am not being helpful... just going through same decisions heresmile

fgr Wed 03-Apr-13 10:42:16

Yes, I was offered a vbac and there are loads of consultants who support this, can recommend Katrina Erskine as being particularly supportive so if this is what you want then change.

fgr Wed 03-Apr-13 10:58:38

Hi Anoy, me being the nosey bugger I am had a look at the midwife pictures and did not recognise the midwife from when I had my 2 DS. I do know however very well 2 of them one of whom is the overall head and have both been there a very long time and I know they will want to know if they don't already that you had a bad experience. I really hope you have a better experience this time around xxxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now