Talk

Advanced search

How did you manage pelvic floor exercises after CS?

(7 Posts)
atrcts Sun 31-Mar-13 02:29:37

The reason I ask is that when I do mine, it am aware that it tightens my internal lower abdominal muscles, presumably these get cut during a CS and so I wondered how soon post op that people manage to do pelvic floor exercises successfully?!!!!

McPheetStink Sun 31-Mar-13 02:46:04

9 months post op, and not done one since blush

QTPie Sun 31-Mar-13 08:24:32

No problem really: may feel strange because things have been "pushed and pulled about" and you suddenly have a lot more space in that area.

The surgeon does not cut any muscles - they are parted instead: it is only skin, fat and uterus which is cut (and a few nerves along the way - you will most likely have some numbness).

Great to start gentle pelvic floor exercises a few days after the delivery.

ThreeBeeOneGee Sun 31-Mar-13 08:30:25

I can tighten my pelvic floor independently of mabdominal muscles, but perhaps that's from weekly Pilates.

At least after a CS you'll still have a pelvic floor. grin I tried to tighten mine a few hours after my first vaginal delivery (just to check it was still there) and nothing happened at all!

A couple of weeks after my twin CS I was doing everything normally (except driving and heavy lifting) and after four weeks I was back to normal.

ThreeBeeOneGee Sun 31-Mar-13 08:31:33

'mabdominal muscles'? How did I manage to type that?

QTPie Sun 31-Mar-13 08:31:36

Even after a CS (probably more as a result of pregnancy), you pelvic floor can be weak - so the exercises can be very beneficial smile

Meglet Sun 31-Mar-13 08:42:42

What threebeeonegee said. I can make my pelvic floor clench without touching my abs muscles. Did pilates for years before I had dc's.

But if you've recently had a cs don't put too much pressure on yourself yet. Let it all heal and settle down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now