Talk

Advanced search

MW convinced baby will arrive any day, but nothing is happening!

(19 Posts)
Msbluesky32 Sat 30-Mar-13 16:27:37

Sorry if i should have posted this in pregnancy, it sort of relates to both but as im 39 weeks on monday i took a gamble on the childbirth section!

I've been 4/5 engaged for a few weeks now and i had a MW appointment this Tuesday just gone and my MW said baby was still very low (1/5 palpable, which is the same as 4/5 - I think?). She said she thought baby might arrive over Easter weekend (I'm due in 9 days) And that she would be really surprised if i made it to my due date. I'm now on high alert waiting for something to happen but so far nothing has. How long did it take you to develop from 4/5 to going into labour? Could she be wrong? Could i go over my due date? I'd hate to spend every day waiting - technically I could be waiting another three weeks if baby ends up being late and I might go slowly mad!

Thank you in advance.

WandaDoff Sat 30-Mar-13 16:31:03

My midwife kept telling me that I would have DD early.

She arrived on her due date.

Try & relax, baby will come when it's ready to I'm afraid. smile

Msbluesky32 Sat 30-Mar-13 16:35:50

Thanks wanda! Wow on her due date, that's really rare isn't it?

Flisspaps Sat 30-Mar-13 16:36:13

You could go another 3 weeks.

You could have your baby tonight.

Who knows?!

Msbluesky32 Sat 30-Mar-13 16:40:46

fliss I will go made by then, darn I hope it's not three weeks...

BlueFishWonder Sat 30-Mar-13 16:41:26

Midwifes are great and of course very knowledgable but at the 3end of the day they make educated guesses, thats it. As my midwife said to me last pregnancy 50% of the time she is right 50% of the time she is wrong!

HPsauceonbaconbuttiesmmm Sat 30-Mar-13 16:53:13

With dc1 my excellent midwifes all said he'd be early, any minute now type of comment from 37 weeks. Carried very low. He was born at 40+13. Sorry!

RubyrooUK Sat 30-Mar-13 16:58:08

DS2 was apparently "all ready to go" at 38 weeks and the midwives were very dubious I'd make it to my planned c-section for medical reasons at 40 weeks. They kept asking if I'd had any contractions or a show or waters breaking.

I made it to the section day with no signs of labour. It just meant I had two weeks terrified that I'd have to rush in for an emergency section at any moment.

So it could be any time really. grin

sparklingsea Sat 30-Mar-13 16:58:30

For me the head being engaged (or not) made no difference, neither of mine were engaged until labour started, one a week early one a week late so could be any time! Good luck though.

Msbluesky32 Sat 30-Mar-13 19:21:41

Yikes, 40 +13 ... I can't even contemplate. It wouldn't be so bad but the last week insomnia has kicked in from numbs legs and killer heartburn so I'm trying to sleep upright (it's impossible!) ...and on tuesday I got so excited that she could arrive early and we would get to meet her! Oh well, time for another knitting project I guess!

toobreathless Sun 31-Mar-13 02:52:59

Relax, as others have said might be tonight or could 42 weeks, mentally add 2 weeks onto your due date & you should have your baby by then!

I know exactly what it's like DD was induced at 42 weeks and now 39 + 2 with DD2. Was engaged with both by 36 weeks.

Radiator1234 Sun 31-Mar-13 03:02:58

Head engaged seems to mean nothing. Could be another 3 weeks... Tres annoying isn't it!!

Booyhoo Sun 31-Mar-13 03:08:29

when it comes to babies and birth, pretty much expect it at any time and at the same time, expect it to go 2 weeks over. it's pretty much anybody's guess until you are actually in labour.

as long as you have your bag packed and your lift to hospital on standby then just relax and enjoy your last few hours/days/weeks before the baby is here.

olympicvibes Sun 31-Mar-13 03:42:02

I'm 39+3 and thought I was gearing up for labour today ( head engaged-today was sick, had some new stronger stretchy tummy pains, now fine), nope! Toothless we are same d.date? 4/04? I'm counting Sunday already as +1! Love not knowing when baby will come along in a way but today just started to think ok, had enough of this now. Think the tiredness setting in again has done it. Thanks for good advice on here when I am wide awake at 3.30 am, and good luck fellow waitees!

Longdistance Sun 31-Mar-13 04:30:01

Relax, and keep mobile to get that head moving further down.

Sit on a gym ball, bounce around with legs/ hips wide open on ball.

I had one 3 days early, another 3 days late.

olympicvibes Sun 31-Mar-13 15:51:48

Sorry, toobreathless!!! Was half asleep last night...

MyNameIsAnAnagram Sun 31-Mar-13 20:57:35

My mw told me at my 38w appointment that I wouldn't be at my 40wk one as i would have had baby by then. He arrived at 42wks exactly. This time I'll be taking her words with a pinch of salt!

VisualiseAHorse Sun 31-Mar-13 23:06:38

I know it's hard, but ignore her - baby will come when it's ready!

I wasn't engaged at all when I had a scan at 38+3 days. Baby arrived bang on 39 weeks. Actually, my waters broke, gushed everywhere for about 30 minutes, and then stopped suddenly. I actually felt baby become engaged!

Msbluesky32 Thu 04-Apr-13 10:57:03

So I've had what I think is a show :-) it started on Monday - just a small amount of brown discharge, and then on tuesday and had one yesterday too, but smaller. Nothing else happening though but it's progress...surely?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now