Talk

Advanced search

Homebirths

(9 Posts)
Lisatay25 Wed 27-Mar-13 19:22:28

My and my dh are ttc #3 and i really want a homebirth can you have 1 with a bmi of 34 xx

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 27-Mar-13 20:26:23

Just bumping for you and good luck with the ttc smile

AmandaPayntedEgg Wed 27-Mar-13 22:03:52

I don't know the answer on what is advised, but have you tried homebirth.org?

In terms of what you can do, you have a right to choose a home birth, even if against medical advice. Most people don't though.

PickleSarnie Wed 27-Mar-13 22:24:55

Agree with Amanda, you dont have to be allowed. However, I don't think I'd feel comfortable if the midwives weren't comfortable. Having said that, if there are no other health issues then I dont see them having a problem with it. My bmi was 31 and no one ever mentioned it.

toastandmarmiterocks Thu 28-Mar-13 14:33:44

I think it depends on the trust.

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Thu 28-Mar-13 16:28:05

Amanda is correct. It is your choice but it would be best to have a good discussion about the idea with your midwife and/or consultant.

Angelsoph85 Mon 01-Apr-13 12:09:55

Hi

I have a BMI of 36 and we are planning a home birth with our first DS. I'm 38 weeks now. I have had quite a few raised eyebrows from various people about the home birth in general but only one midwife has mentioned my BMI.

I have seen 2 different consultants as had to change hospitals at 30 weeks in order to have the home birth. Both have been very supportive and again have not mentioned my BMI.

I have been lucky and had a very straight forward pregnancy. I don't have high BP or gestational diabetes. Both of which can be risk factors with a higher BMI.

The other risk factors that I have considered is the baby being bigger, but he is measuring perfectly for his weeks. And shoulder distocia, however I have read a good few articles that have indicated that you are no more likely to get this due to a higher BMI.

I think you must consider the risk factors and make your decision based on these. If anything was considered a risk with my pregnancy I would be going straight to the hospital. However women are encouraged now to stay at home as long as possible, to go in when your contractions are 2-3minutes apart. If you can stay there for the final bit with 2 midwives in attendance then I think why not.

I'll let you know how it goes and if my BMI is a factor x

Lisatay25 Mon 01-Apr-13 19:31:43

Brill thanks Hun xxx

jessebuni Thu 04-Apr-13 21:58:02

My bmi was about 32 and I had a homebirth. i loved it and would do it again in a heartbeat. so many people seemed shocked and said "oh no i wouldn't want that" but it was so lovely and i'm so glad i did it.

as long as there are no other problems or risks with your pregnancy it should be totally fine.

my midwife told me that basically if you live within half an hour of a hospital it's worth a go because IF the worst happens and you need to go for a c section or something then it takes that long to prep a theatre anyway.

i really hope you get the exact birth you want. i know my home birth was so special and i'll never forget it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now