Talk

Advanced search

Do first timers always stay overnight in hospital?

(27 Posts)
Msbluesky32 Wed 20-Mar-13 14:42:22

Am I being a bit ambitious to think I can have my first baby and get straight home afterwards? I am hoping to give birth in a birth centre and really don't want to stay overnight if I can help it. I would have given a home birth a go but as its our first DP is a bit fearful Of not being near a hospital. So far I'm pretty text book ok - BP is low, feel fine, baby is in right place and doing well, i feel pretty relaxed about everything...assuming everything goes ok I'd like to try and get home. What were your experiences first time around?

stargirl1701 Wed 20-Mar-13 14:45:48

I stayed 4 days in our local MLU. I wish I had stayed longer. The bf latch wasn't right when I left and it led to a chain of events culminating in both of us being admitted to hospital 10 days post birth. I had blood poisoning from infective mastitis.

Sleepwhenidie Wed 20-Mar-13 14:54:57

It depends what time your baby is born, they usually won't let you go until he/she has done a wee and been checked by paediatrician so if it is late afternoon/early evening then they will usually keep you in. If it is middle of night/morning then you have a good chance of going home well before the end of the day.

OTOH I had a lovely time staying at Queen Charlottes birth centre with DS1 as I had a (free) private room with ensuite and a truckle bed for DH. DS was born early evening and I was in no rush to leave, felt very looked after there. Very different on a ward where I spent first night after DS2 was born. Home birth gorgeous too of course (had one with DD), but I understand your DH being nervous.

NandH Wed 20-Mar-13 15:01:44

I stayed 5 weeks.... but dd was 2 months premature...sooo doesn't count! ... however my ds was 2 weeks early and they allowed me to go home 3 hours after smile

Muser Wed 20-Mar-13 15:10:59

At my local birth centre they like to have you out within 6 hours if all is well, first timer or not. The midwives there are trained to do the newborn checks so you don't have to wait for a doctor. A lot will depend on how the birth goes and what time of day it is. Not ambitious to think you can get home though.

Msbluesky32 Wed 20-Mar-13 15:34:09

Thanks, there is hope! Phew! I only ask because when we did the tour of our birth centre and maternity ward the tour said all first timers stay and my heart sank... I have nothing against the lovely hospital staff etc but I've never liked being in hospitals (although if I manage to give birth in the birth centre it's much less 'hospital' in there). The only two serious things where I've needed to be in hospital I've discharged myself as soon as I could get my coat on.

Caitycat Wed 20-Mar-13 15:37:45

Had dd at 10.20am in local hospital and left 5pm same day, I never even had to move rooms. Most hospitals aim for a six hour discharge if they possibly can these days AFAIK. Best of luck with it.

HorraceTheOtter Wed 20-Mar-13 15:49:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HarrietSchulenberg Wed 20-Mar-13 15:57:03

I asked for a 6 hour discharge with ds1 (Queen Charlotte's). It was more like 8 hours as I had to wait for the doctor to see us but it was great being able to take my lovely little new baby home and not have to hang about in an unfamilar environment.

Msbluesky32 Thu 21-Mar-13 09:05:46

Phew thanks! I was chatting to DP about it last night and he said he rightly thought it would depend on when baby arrives. He also said wouldn't I like to stay in for a rest...I can't really imagine being able to rest in there tbh. When we did a tour of the post natal ward it was really packed full of people - six women to a room and boiling hot. Fingers crossed for a quick exit! smile

OneLittleToddleTerror Thu 21-Mar-13 17:11:45

Msbluesky you won't be able to rest at all. DD was born in the evening. I was discharged first thing in the morning when the doctors come around. The entire evening, there were baby crying non stop in the ward. I couldn't wait to go home!

OneLittleToddleTerror Thu 21-Mar-13 17:12:03

I mean you are right and your DH is not.

AmandaCooper Thu 21-Mar-13 18:01:42

We were discharged after about 7 hours and stayed in the delivery room after the birth. Could have left earlier had we wanted to but we'd have had to go back later for the checks.

bebejones Thu 21-Mar-13 18:10:24

I transferred to our MLU the day after DD was born...stayed there 5 days! She didn't feed at all (except by syringe) or 4 days and their help and support was invaluable and it was restful! BUT if I hadn't been able to transfer there and had had to stay at the bigger hospital on the hideous postnatal ward I'd have been doing everything in my power to get home ASAP!!

Depending when your LO is born and when you get seen by doctors etc, do whatever YOU feel most comfortable with!

BlueChampagne Fri 22-Mar-13 14:11:44

I had DS1 at 6pm and was offered the chance to go home that evening. However, as I was going home to a house in the middle of having an extension built, I opted to stay in!

Had DS2 at home (unplanned!) and didn't need to go to hosp at all which was fab!

GingerDoodle Sat 23-Mar-13 15:55:31

We did but she was born at 11:34. I politely told the midwives i would be leaving at lunchtime, paperwork or no. They cannot force you to stay in.

GingerDoodle Sat 23-Mar-13 15:55:50

We did but she was born at 11:24PM. I politely told the midwives i would be leaving at lunchtime, paperwork or no. They cannot force you to stay in.

VisualiseAHorse Sat 23-Mar-13 23:42:26

In our MLU they have a 6 hour discharge. I went in at 11.30am, had baby at 4.03pm, home by 8.15pm :D . And the MLU is 40 minutes away, So I pretty much gave birth, had a shower, had a snooze, get dressed and left.

FannyBazaar Sat 23-Mar-13 23:50:53

I had my DS at home. In a hospital or birth centre they often want to keep you in until 1) the baby check has been done 2) you and the baby have pooed and weed 3) a good feed has been observed/noted. You can speak to the midwives about your concerns and ask if the keeping in is routine or just what most mums prefer. Express your concerns and after the birth, if all goes well, ask if you can come back for the baby check or have home visit the next day or come in for a check. There is usually room for negotiation.

If they do want to keep you in you may want to ask what they would do if you had a homebirth, would they stay with you overnight then?

Twinklestarstwinklestars Sun 24-Mar-13 00:07:34

I had ds1 at 1am and went home at 10am, ds2 was born at 3am but had to go to scbu and went home 3 days later, I should have discharged us after he came out of scbu as his temp kept dropping on the draughty ward, if it happens this time I will dischsrge us.

CointreauVersial Sun 24-Mar-13 00:21:01

I stayed overnight, but I wanted to - I enjoyed having the support and the company of fellow new mums. I was being well looked-after, DH got a well-needed sleep at home too, and they made me porridge for breakfast.smile

ZuleikaD Sun 24-Mar-13 10:11:56

Had both mine in the early morning and was home in a few hours - our MLU will discharge you in two hours or less if you want to go home. I hate hospitals too!

Msbluesky32 Sun 24-Mar-13 16:40:12

Hi fannybazaar good point - I will remember this.

zuleikad yes, nothing against the staff - just not a fan of being in hospital. Tbh if DP was ok with a home birth I would be definitely be giving that a go over the MLU but the unit is a half way house

brettgirl2 Tue 26-Mar-13 18:18:01

There is no more medical support at birthing centre than at home, or do you mean its nearer the hospital?

One of my biggest reasons for having a hb with dd2 was avoidance of the postnatal ward! No awful sore waddle out into the car.

applepieinthesky Tue 26-Mar-13 18:50:15

I stayed in overnight but it was entirely my decision. They were fine either way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now