Talk

Advanced search

Failed sweep but bloody show this morning

(10 Posts)
PinglePongle Wed 20-Mar-13 11:41:39

Hi All

I had a membrane sweep yesterday at 40+6 and the midwife said she wasn't able to reach and do it. This morning I've woken up to a brown stained show - is there any hope that I will go into labour naturally before my booked induction?

catlady1 Wed 20-Mar-13 11:47:00

Do you have another appointment before your induction? I had three failed sweeps, bled a little after the third attempt at 41 weeks, then finally a successful one at 41+2. I went into labour the following day and gave birth hours before my induction was due to take place.

It might be worth asking for another try if you want to avoid induction, things can change quickly and if she made you bleed last time she might have opened you up enough to manage it after a day or two smile

PinglePongle Wed 20-Mar-13 12:11:50

Hi catlady

I have another booked for Monday where I will be 40+12 with the induction booked for wed

really praying something happens on it's own - holding all hope on the show this morning!

Carolra Wed 20-Mar-13 12:42:39

It took 4 days for me to go in to labour after I had a show. But you could always ask to postpone the induction, this is your right... they might ask you to come in for additional checks if you postpone, but you could buy yourself a couple of days that way to see if you go into natural labour. Induction doesn't have to be awful, but if you want to delay it, you can.

PinglePongle Mon 25-Mar-13 11:36:54

well i've been for my second sweep this morning and still nothing, gutted that I have to have an induction on wednesday now sad

I'd gotten my head around being ok with labour based on the facilities at the midwife birthing unit and the private rooms and now it looks like im going to have to go onto the hospital ward after birth which I'm really uncomfortable with sad

5eggstremelychocaletymadeggs Mon 25-Mar-13 11:42:54

If they cannt even do a sweep as your cervix isnt favourable? I would ask for expectant management and wait a few more days rather thsn being induced.

PinglePongle Mon 25-Mar-13 11:46:35

my notes say 'cervix soft, 1 finger inserted' any idea what that means?

All that she said to me was that it's not likely to happen anytime soon and would be ok by next week but that they couldn't let me go over that much

Welovegrapes Mon 25-Mar-13 11:59:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheOneWithTheHair Mon 25-Mar-13 12:03:32

Can I recommend not eating pineapple. Although it serves as an irritant it also hardens your muscles instead of softening them so labour can be harder.

Curry though and walking and a bit of nipple playing (you could get someone to help with that one grin).

Good luck!

jessebuni Thu 04-Apr-13 22:11:01

having a favourable cervix is a couple of things. it goes soft which if your notes say it then yours is. it comes forward, if she inserted one finger it means she could reach your cervix so it may not be completely effaced but must at least partially be there, dialates. if she could only hook one finger in there then the chances are that you aren't dialating yet which isn't essential.

there's still a chance that you could go into labour especially if you've had a show. i had 4 failed sweeps with my second baby and went into labour naturally the night before my induction was due! i had a homebirth so called the midwife out and said labours starting, she popped out and said i'm only 1-2cm so it probably won't be until morning and she went off home for some sleep. i hopped into the bath then got out and tried to sleep. i called her 1 hour after she left and said come back NOW! she made it just in time to see my daughter arrive on my bed as she tried to get her gloves on. so really ANYTHING can happen! I've got my fingers crossed for you that things start off for you soon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now