VBAC appointment when I'll be 21 weeks pg...(8 Posts)
Hi, my first vbac appt was at 29 weeks, 2nd one is this weds at 36 weeks. So i don't think 21 weeks is too late. But it can't hurt to talk it though a bit with your community midwife first if you're feeling anxious. At the least it might give you a feel for what the attitude is towards elcs and then you'll have time to prepare really well for the vbac appt. good luck!
Also to say make your community midwife your ally in this.
No-one wanted to discuss mode of exit with me (1 em c/s, 1 el c/s, 1 vba2c) until 34 weeks+
If I were you I would ring the hospital again and say you want to see the consultant midwife, and are prepared to wait to see them. Reiterate on the phone how traumatic your first birth was and also discuss with your community midwife and get it all over your notes. No point having a vague conversation with someone who has no decision-making authority.
Have you gone through previous birth notes (you can apply to get a copy but a lovely midwife doing my anti-Ds just let me sit and read and copy chunks of mine). I found it v helpful.
Not sure if this is helpful or not but I saw consultant (consultants registrar) around 16 weeks to discuss elcs vs vbac and found the appointment a complete waste of time. She basically handed me a sheet of paper with pros & cons of each on it, asked me to look at it at home and booked me in for further appointment at 36 weeks.
A loose plan agreed at 36 weeks with agreement to trial vbac but plan elcs if I go over 41 weeks. Have appointment next week (I'll be 40 weeks) to plan date for elcs.
Hopefully you get more reassurance from your appointment. It might have helped me to take some questions along with me to appt to make sure I got some definite answers instead of left hanging til last minute.
I am not seeing a consultant for the first time at 21 weeks. I am seeing a midwife then. I probably should have also said the appointment was meant to be at 16 weeks so now it is at 21 weeks instead due to staff shortages. I am very anxious. I just want the VBAC conversation started as soon as it can be as I was very traumatized after my first birth experience...
21 weeks is a normal time to see a consultant for the first time (except in certain circumstances of which previous CS isn't one of them) so definitely not too late - they normally like you to have had your anomaly scan first. I personally dont think you need to do anything at this time but just wait for the appointment. i don't think you are overreacting per se because you are clearly anxious, but i also dont think they have done anything wrong with regards to your care.
It is not too late, don't worry.
Lots of people get booked for an ELCS much much later, it is quite common for them to say they will let you 'think about it' and only pencil you in for an ELCS at that 36 week appointment. It makes no difference.
However, they are sometimes utter arsewipes about booking an ELCS even with a good reason IME. I had a crash CS under general and a horrific time with first baby and was denied an ELCS initially by the consultant.
I ended up with a 2nd EMCS after failing to progress with the VBAC I knew was a waste of time, but it was fine.
But be prepared they may say no initially, you will be able to get one in the end (I didn't fight it, I just booked a HB instead as I wasn't against VBAC as such, I just knew it wasn't going to work and I wasn't prepared to have it in that hospital, iykwim)
So I just got my appointment through for when I will be 21 weeks pg at Kingston Hospital... I had a traumatic first birth ending in a Category 1 EMCS and suffered PTSD afterwards. I am planning to push for an ELCS this time.
At my booking in appointment I was told I would be referred to the consultant midwife for this appointment, I have now been told the appointment I have is not with this person. The receptionist on the phone told me they can't get me an earlier appointment as apparently due to cuts they are overbooked. They have had to lose one midwife. Whilst I appreciate all of this, I know a decision won't be made about whether they will accept my request for an ELCS at that appointment. I have also been told the usual practice is to see a Consultant at 36 weeks. My confidence in the hospital isn't exactly high at this moment and I am now worrying more... All of this makes for a very anxious pregnancy. I am so excited about dc2 joining our family, but I just need to know how our baby is going to arrive...I will bring this up at my next midwife appointment but not sure it will make any difference.
I just won't want to be on the conveyor belt of ticking boxes and cutting costs..
Is the first VBAC appointment at 21 weeks pretty late?
Am I over reacting?
Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed?
Join the discussion
Please login first.