Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Do I ask for ELCS?

(15 Posts)
Emsyboo Sat 09-Feb-13 17:18:21

Hi all I am completely confused so please bear with me!
Had complete PP most of pregnancy but last scan 34+5 weeks yesterday showed it was 17 mm clear of cervix. Not sure if this means they will re scan before making a decision or if this will either be an issue but suddenly thinking ELCS will be the best option even if moved.
However I am Sh!t scared of a section!
I was induced at 39 weeks with DS due to bleeding from 36 weeks birth was fine but then had PPH. I then had retained product which got infected and was in and out of hospital for 6 weeks till they did a D&C.
Now after PLacebta previa and 3 bleeds this pregnancy I feel although I really want a vaginal delivery it may be the riskier option.
But I could have a lovely natural birth no complications and quick recovery which would be ideal with a newborn and toddler.
Like I say I may not have the option but seeing consultant Monday and feel I should make a decision in case I do have the option or they wait for another scan before deciding which may drag out further.
Thoughts appreciated x x

mendora Sat 09-Feb-13 20:24:00

Can't comment on what is safer delivery for you but I can tell you that my experience of ELCS was that it was a doddle. My reason for ELCS was that at age 46, having had 8 miscarriages (including 1 at 21 weeks), and a xmas due date, I was sh*t scared of something going wrong with a natural birth while the consultants were out at a party! My BF had first 4 kids natural birth and 5th was ELCS. She told me there was no contest - ELCS so much less traumatic. Don't think there is any real difference in recovery time between natural and ELCS. Think the long recovery arises after emergency C, when you have in effect had both ie a difficult labour plus surgery. Obviously everyone's history/circumstances are different, but I don't think you need be so scared if doc advises ELCS is good idea. Even an old gal like me recovered quickly.....

Nigglenaggle Sat 09-Feb-13 20:36:05

I had an emergency c-section last time and look likely to have an elective next time. If someone said that I could have a natural birth then I would jump at the chance (it isnt likely hence the section) but only because I would like the experience, the thought of another section is no bother. You get a lovely epidural and you can still see your baby come out, ask them to lower the screen. Your birth partner puts on scrubs and sits with you, and the anaesthetist chatted to me the whole time and told jokes, lovely man. Its very safe. Recovery wise, you do have to stay in for a couple of days, which is a drawback. The first time you move is hard! But after that its all OK and I recovered better than some of my friends who had 'natural' births. By 2 weeks I felt fine to drive, although I didnt until 6, as told. Talk to your consultant and if they OK a natural birth. I understand why you would want that, but dont be put off by a section, as life experiences go, its not bad.

Nigglenaggle Sat 09-Feb-13 20:37:49

What worries you about a section?

Emsyboo Sun 10-Feb-13 06:30:49

Thanks that is a bit more reassuring.

I'm not sure why i'm so scared it is a completely unreasonable fear of a surgery I think. I was scared of the D&C and they put me under. Local anaesthetics don't work well with me which I found out during surgery at 14 which was pretty traumatic and painful, doctors had to hold me down and try to pump more anaesthetics into me to give me some relief from the pain and this was a minor op but had worked as they started so they couldn't stop, always works at first but I metabolise very fast, same with all the women in my family. Never had an epi with DS but didn't work for my Mum but doesn't always work anyway so may not be to do with this anaesthetic thing.

With DS I spoke to the anaesthetist about it in case of emergency and he said he could put me under in 30 secs if I started to feel pain.

My actual birth with DS was fine - amazing in fact so if I could guarantee no complications I would jump at it but after having complications from a normal pregnancy this higher risk pregnancy feels more likely.

I am really conflicted over the whole thing and even trying to talk about it makes me feel like an idiot....
I want a natural birth but worried its not safe for me feel c section safer but don't want one just feel like I sound really naive I mean baby has to come out somehow! Lol x x

Nigglenaggle Sun 10-Feb-13 21:02:28

And he/she will smile Worry not

ICompletelyKnowAboutGuineaPigs Tue 12-Feb-13 09:25:11

I've had one vaginal delivery, one elcs and planning a vbac this time. I understand your reticence about both options.

My elcs was fine but it was major surgery and this shouldn't be underplayed. My recovery was straightforward as recoveries go (I was driving after 2-3 weeks on the go ahead from my Dr) but there were some things I couldnt do (picking up a 3 year old was a no go even with the best will/recovery in the world). Not trying to put you off but I sometimes think that elcs are discussed as if they are risk free whereas VB are inherently risky and this is obviously not the case.

Have you been given any advice? I would personally speak to both an obstetrician (usually more surgically oriented IMO) and the Supervisor or Midwives - hopefullythus should give you a more balanced view than just speaking to Drs, who tend to medicalise birth a bit more.

Out of interest, what is it that makes you feel that a c/s would be safer?

Emsyboo Tue 12-Feb-13 14:04:17

I don't thing labour will be a big issue my first labour was text book up until I had a bleed and lost 2 litres of blood needed transfusion it was an induction based on the fact I started bleeding at 36 weeks heavy bleeds that bled through mattress protector. This pregnancy I have Placenta previa was complete PP until 32 weeks now 17mm away from cervix so borderline have had 3 hospital stays this pregnancy from bleeding and worry if contractions start it will cause a bleed and I will end up with an emergency section anyway. The other issue is that last time I had retained placenta that got infected and I was in and out if hospital till they gave me a D&C this contributed to post natal depression and really affected my first 6 weeks with my son if this were to happen again I would really struggle.
I have another scan next week and consultant will make a decision if placenta doesn't move I will have ELCS at 37 weeks if it moves enough then I can only have natural birth unless in an emergency she won't consider me opting for a section so that is that.
I guess it is in the hands of fate now!

kitkatsz23 Tue 12-Feb-13 16:14:58

Are you planning to have a DC3? I'm asking because if you'll have a c-section with placenta previa your next pregnancy can be even more complicated and a higher risk than this one. If you don't I would go for the c-section as you have a history with placenta problems and I think it's treated more effectively when you are on the table. However, if you wish to have another child I would try to avoid the section and go for the natural birth assuming the placenta moves a bit by next week. It's a tough question and it's such a difficult decision. I would wait until next week and I would suggest you to write down all your questions. Good luck!! Let us know how you get on!

It's all ahead of me, I'm 29+2 today with my first one and with a total pp. Next scan is at 32 weeks.

discobeaver Tue 12-Feb-13 16:27:50

Not sure about the placenta issues, but if you are worried about the epidural consider a general?
I have had 2 ELCS with GAs because a previous botched epidural and heartily recommend them. Go to sleep, have baby, wake up. Amazing.
Unless you really want to see your baby come out of course then it won't be any good.
Recovery from both was great as well very easy.
Good luck whatever you decide!

Emsyboo Wed 13-Feb-13 05:00:39

I want DC 3 but DH doesn't I don't want to rule it out though.
Doctor thinks normal delivery is safer so happy to go with that if they let me but part of me is still concerned about both lol will find out next week anyway and sort of glad the decision has been taken out of my hands.
My DH is more scared of a natural birth as he saw the bleed after last time but doctor said although a bleed is more likely for me it doesn't mean it will happen and chances are even greater for a section.
You can't anticipate for an emergency anyway sad
Just counting the days now till I get a decision and know what's happening

FergusSingsTheBlues Wed 13-Feb-13 08:59:16

I had a v traumatic birth the first time, 37 hours back to back for 10.5 lb baby, utterly barbaric experience. This time, ive chosen an ELCS, and the relief is amazing. I am not scared. I know the day my son will be born, how, etc, and i am much more relaxed as a result. I say go for it...who knows, might be another nightmare but for me going into the experience less stressed will shore me up emotionally to get through abdominal surgery! Ive got ten days to go and feel so chilled about it.

MyDarlingClementine Wed 13-Feb-13 21:03:15

If you have an ELC make sure you prepare in advance and do as many things as possible to make life easier for youself after. You may be someone who is up playing tennis the next day, but just in case grin, get stuff that will help.

BTW syrup of figs was far better for the dreaded constipation than dried apricot.

Emsyboo Wed 13-Feb-13 21:48:49

Thanks for the advice I am taking lactolaise ATM as anaemic from the bleeds so taking horrible ferrous tablets.
I am leaving it up to the consultant she is very good but cautious so feel she wont put me at risk and on Thursday of she is making a decision after a scan if I go for natural or ELCS I feel better after talking to her and the fact I have raised the issues means they will be more prepared for it all.
Anaesthetist said it would take 30 secs to do a general in an emergency.
Still don't know what I want but do feel happier about safety for either.
Will update when I know more thanks lovely ladies x x

Nigglenaggle Sat 16-Feb-13 20:09:28

Good luck hope all still well smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: