Anyone know of reasons for foetal infection and infected waters other than meconium?(9 Posts)
I think a debrief will help you understand more about what happened, which will in turn help you be clear with the hospital why you want an ELCS. AFAIK you can request a C section for a variety of reasons, not just physical/medical.
If you encounter resistance to your request, don't be afraid of contacting the supervisor of midwives to request a meeting. If you have strong feelings about not having a vaginal delivery they should take this seriously.
Thanks all. No one mentioned Group B Strep so I imagine that wasn't it. Sounds very much like lolly's experience, I wasn't ill at all and had no high temperature and the tests were inconclusive. I'll contact PALS and see what they say. I do wonder, though, if no conclusion was reached as to what DD was poorly with, they also didn't work out why she was ill.
I do really, really want an elcs Will going for a debrief about my first birth help bolster my case to get one, do you think? I might seem a silly reason for not wanting to try a vbac but there is absolutely no way I am risking
that crappy hospital making any future DCs ill as well.
If the mother has a high temperature during labour there can be an infection risk for the baby too I think - I had this and DS was monitored by the SCBU and given precautionary antibiotics for 3 days post birth.
There should be a supervisor of midwivest you could contact for a birth debrief. My dd was on ABs after birth as she tested high on the score you mention. They tested for all sorts of things but it was all inconclusive, so they just focussed on treating symptoms as they could find no cause. The score was explaned to me as if it is over a certain level the body is acting as if there is an infection , so they treat for infection even if they can't pin down what it is. hth
YY to contacting PALS. They'll tell you how to get the notes. I got my notes from DD's birth and am waiting to be able to afford DS's (£40!)
Just to add, I would suggest contacting PALS at your hospital as the first point of call to start the process of getting notes/organising a debrief.
If they ran cultures they should have been able to tell you if it was group b strep. If you can't remember what was said to you at the the time, you could try requesting a copy of your labour notes, under the data protection rules. They should record if it was Group B Strep or not. Tbh I don't think it would be strep in your case - I had a GBS infection after my waters broke. I was told very clearly about this and given leaflets on the risks of acquiring the infection again plus the small risks to my DS as a result of having a GBS infection.
You can, I think, also go back to the hospital for a birth de-brief where a midwife talks you through your labour notes and you can ask any questions that have been on your mind since the birth. AFAIK you can go in anytime after the birth, there's no time limit on it. That might be helpful for you to ask all these questions directly to someone who can explain exactly what went on.
I think the baby can get an infection if the mum has group b strep.
I'm just curious if anyone has any experience with the causes of infections in waters and in babies. We're starting TTC DC2 so I trying to get my head around an argument for an ELCS while I'm not hormonal
mainly because I wept like a banshee every time I was in front of medical staff when pg last time
DD was born at 40+8 by emcs. Her heart rate was erratic when I went to the CLU and the results of the feotal blood sample was enough to get me in to theatre immediately, after which DD went to NICU, spending a week there and in SCBU. They ran cultures on me and DD but they said there was no serious infection to worry about, and DD responded well to a mix of antibiotics. She had no lung or breathing problems, as far as I am aware from talking to her consultant at the time, and she certainly wasn't ever on any machines that helped with her breathing and DP, who went to NICU with her, says she wasn't having problems breathing. All I really remember is that she had an infection 'rate'/'score'(?) if 50-something, when a normal rate would be under 10. She has absolutely no lasting health problems.
I want an ELCS as I think the hospital cocked up by not monitoring me properly and that didn't help DD at all. The CS was the only decent part of the experience for me, and we don't have a choice of maternity units where I live so I have to go back to that hospital.
I was under the impression that my waters had been leaking a tiny amount, possibly since my show at 40+4, and that had led to the infection. But I might just have made that up.
I'm not sure either how I go about requesting mine or DD's notes, so I wondered if anyone had any experience on this - am I completely imagining this whole leaking waters scenario? Does any know of any other reasons for a baby to get an infection?
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.