Advanced search

what are the pros and cons of injection to pass the placenta?

(12 Posts)
JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 24-Jan-13 23:30:49

Sounds like you've read up and come to a sensible plan. Good luck with the birth, ope you get an orgasmic one grin

NAR4 Thu 24-Jan-13 23:02:58

Thanks everyone. I have decided to wait until the cord stops pulsating before it is cut, but have the injection after this to pass the placenta. This is my 5th child and I know you are more likely to bleed heavily, the more children you have. I bled pretty badly with my 4th, so might not even be able to wait that long. Have filled Dh in on all the reasons I want it done this way, so he knows I agree to the injection earlier if the midwife feels it necessary to help control any possible heavy bleed.

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 24-Jan-13 22:54:58

With my 2nd and 3rd I waited until the placenta was out before cutting.

With my first I had a pph. I put this down to the natural 3rd stage being mismanaged rather than the fact I had chosen a natural 3rd stage.

MsFlippingHeck Thu 24-Jan-13 22:50:59

I had the injection 1 hour after dc2 was born. The cord had stopped pulsing, but there was no sign of the placenta coming away even though I'd breastfed as well.

I'd do the same again.

Jamdoughnutfiend Thu 24-Jan-13 21:39:39

I wanted a natural 3rd stage with my first but waited for nearly 2 hours for the placenta and in the end I opted for the injection as my midwife was worried it might ended up being retained - had the injection 2 mins later placenta - would have the injection again

CitizenOscar Thu 24-Jan-13 21:33:19

I had natural 3rd stage with my first, but had a bad haemorrhage so they've said I have to have managed 3rd stage this time.

Doesn't really answer your Q but they felt I was less likely to haemorrhage this time if I have the injection.

amirah85 Tue 22-Jan-13 08:42:12

I had the injection with my 2 and I just found out it could be related to the horrid afterpains(much much worst then labour)so will ask not to have it this time.thinking now if may be worth telling them to prepare it anyway just in case placenta takes too long?

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Sun 20-Jan-13 22:33:05

what did you have for the other 4 children?
I had natural placenta delivery for both the boys but we were at home in the pool and all was well.

If anything had been slightly compromised I would have willingly had the injection.

Gracefulbirth Sun 20-Jan-13 22:28:26

The national policy on this is on the brink of changing! As in, delayed chord clamping will become the norm and part of normal protocol in birth but NICE are not publishing the guildlines until 2014. (currently there is a petition to get them to implement it sooner)

Here's a good article you might like:

higgle Fri 18-Jan-13 14:33:04

I had two natural births where I specified in birth plan a natural third stage. Main advantage for me was the oportunity to have DH cut the cord.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 18-Jan-13 11:40:23

The injection can make you queasy or vomit, without it you can haemorrhage. I discussed it with my mw and we agreed that she would prepare the injection and if it was taking too long, she would give it to me. Also if you have the injection there is a risk of retained placenta and a trip to theatre.

NAR4 Fri 18-Jan-13 11:25:16

Currently writing my birth plan and would like to wait until the cord stops pulsing before it is clamped, but don't know what the pros and cons of the injection are. This is my 5th child (if that makes any differrence) and I will be having it in hosptial.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now