Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Contractions 3-4 mins from beginning! Advice pls

(17 Posts)
SilverSixpence Thu 17-Jan-13 12:21:48

Contractions started about 2 hours ago, they were 3mins apart lasting about 30-40 seconds. Since then have got slightly further apart about 4-5 mins but more painful. Mw at birthing unit advised to wait and see. This is my second labour, first was 11 hours all together.

How long should I wait and what would make me go in if they already so close?!

mayhew Thu 17-Jan-13 12:54:39

its sounds like you are getting going now. I would wait to let them get back to 3 mins at this level of intensity and then go in.
Watch out for a sudden change of gear, as this is your 2nd! ie
:a bloody show
:water breaking
:pressure sensation deep in the pelvis
:wanting a poo
:much bigger contraction.

Any of the above, scoot straight there.

CailinDana Thu 17-Jan-13 13:06:19

How painful are the contractions? And how long are they? If they're really strong and lasting a minute I'd say get yourself to the unit to be checked regardless of the what the MW says. Second labours can be much faster and your first wasn't particularly long.

Oh and please update when baby appears! Good luck thanks

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 17-Jan-13 13:11:00

How cool. Good luck!

If you're not in by now, lying in the bath on your front with your head on a towel at the end whilst MNing is a tried and tested occupier.

When I was at the stage you are at with my 2nd I had about 5 hours to go. 3.5 of them were spent at home.

With 3rd I had about 3.5 hours and all of them were spent at home.

SilverSixpence Thu 17-Jan-13 13:15:25

Thanks everyone smile

Contractions are stronger but still about 5 mins apart. Using Tens which is helping (and Mnetting of course!).

DH is picking up DS early from
School so we can drop him off at SILs house on the way then will go
in to be checked.

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 17-Jan-13 13:40:35

How far away are you from the birth centre?

SilverSixpence Thu 17-Jan-13 14:02:31

Around 40 mins drive so not
That close

StarlightMcKenzie Thu 17-Jan-13 14:15:21

Oh that's clot too bad. Which centre is it?

If you can MN I reckon you've got a bit of time.

Have you/woukd you check yourself?

Bicnod Thu 17-Jan-13 14:19:02

Erm, don't want to frighten you but my first birth was about the same length as yours.

My second started with contractions 3-4 minutes apart and then DS2 was born within an hour.

If you feel like you need to go, then GO.

I had planned to wait until DS1 was in bed but in the end I knew when I needed to go, I told DH and thank goodness we did go then or DS2 would have been born in the car.

SilverSixpence Thu 17-Jan-13 16:54:54

Contractions seem to be tailing off sad. Not had a proper one for at least ten mins so wondering if it's worth going in yet. The MW I saw two weeks ago wondered if it was OP but then two more midwives checked and said it was in a good position. Waters not broken yet either. I wasn't expecting it to go like this! dH keeps saying its a 'false alarm' which is quite annoying as the contractions can still be bloody painful!

Flisspaps Thu 17-Jan-13 16:57:59

My ctx were about 6-8 minutes apart, but 3-4 minutes long with DS hmm

Not everyone gets the standard 3-4 mins apart, 30 seconds long 'standard' ctx.

mayhew Thu 17-Jan-13 16:58:07

Even if they are tailing off, it is likely those contractions have softened and thinned the cervix. Ready for fast dilation later!

Eat, drink and relax. See what the night brings...

SilverSixpence Thu 17-Jan-13 17:12:38

Thanks for all the support! I've turned the tens off now, last contraction was really feeble and didn't need it. I'm going to send DH out for a pizza and watch a film I think

Bicnod Thu 17-Jan-13 19:12:04

Keep us posted and enjoy the pizza smile

SilverSixpence Fri 18-Jan-13 09:18:19

Thought it was going to kick off again last night as I had some more strong contractions but it's all gone quiet again

<sigh>

Bicnod Fri 18-Jan-13 10:12:20

Boooooo. How's the snow where you are?

SilverSixpence Fri 18-Jan-13 13:33:00

It's getting nice and snowy smile I've decided to do some baking so I can sit and eat cake for the next 2 days

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now