Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

any drs, mws, or obs? unstable lie and excess fluid

(10 Posts)
pmgkt Sat 08-Dec-12 21:00:04

I am 37+1 with ds2. I was scanned on Friday and told I have an unstable lie and excess fluid (28) . The doctor and midwives in the day unit said that due to these factors they would be expecting me to have a section ( previous section with ds1 after failed induction) at about 38 weeks. I originally wanted a repeat section anyway but was pursued to try for a vbac. I am now more than happy to have the section as I don't feel many units have the experience of breech delivery. I was then told I need to stay in as due to excess fluid if ny waters break there is a risk of the cord or other body part coming first and that it would be an emergency, however they balance that out against getting to 38 weeks + which I accept. The weekend consultant came around this morning and wants me to stay in until I either go into labour or he may section at 41 weeks. Everyone else is saying that labour would be too risky . In my mind, as the baby is unstable the only one natural outcome is if I go into labour and at that moment it happens to be head down, however any other outcome/ position/ term will result in a section and an emergency one in most cases. It's my thought that the risk of a planned cs at 38+ weeks is lesser than any of the other outcomes. Sorry its long but can you let me know your thoughts or explainations to back up what he is saying. Ask for extra detail if you need it.

pmgkt Sat 08-Dec-12 21:40:23

Bump bump bump

mrsbugsywugsy Sun 09-Dec-12 18:20:00

Bumping for you

pmgkt Sun 09-Dec-12 19:07:56

Thanks bugsy

TaggieCrimbleBlack Sun 09-Dec-12 19:15:39

It does seem unreasonable to want you to sit and wait for 3 weeks. Going slowly mad with the what-ifs.

If you were booked gor elective cs would they aim for 38 or 39 weeks?

Can you ask to see a different consultant who could change the plan?

mmmmsleep Sun 09-Dec-12 23:38:07

Agree would get second opinion at consultant level. Elcs at 39 weeks are relatively safe. Did the consultant explain reasons for change of plan? Explain risks of your options?
Good luck hope you get sorted asap

pmgkt Mon 10-Dec-12 01:38:58

Thanks for your replies. I see my consultant tomorrow so should get answers and a plan proper, not robbed off by weekend doctor

BuntysFestiveCollocks Mon 10-Dec-12 08:48:04

Bumping for you again.

civilfawlty Mon 10-Dec-12 09:24:30

Hello. I had EXACTLY this situation. I wet in a 36 weeks and had a section at 38. They didn't want to do it before to give the baby's lungs a chance to develop (or something) and I also had steroids to help with that. It was explained to me that the chances of delivering vaginally were practically nil because anything other than head down would lead to an emergency cs anyway. Their logic seemed to be that a calm cs rather than a mad panic was better.

However, I did see different consultants every single day and each one had different suggestions. When I questioned this, I was told they all have to posit different theories. I felt I could trust a particular consultant and went with his plan. So I had to be tough to resist the constant vacillation.

Anyway - all went well in the end. I was really pressured to "get into bed" but I declined and made sure I was up, showered and dressed every day. I felt less like a victim and like I just had to stay there just in case. Also- since I didn't need any drugs, I asked them not to wake me at six for their rounds. I was monitored at about 10 and 5:30 everyday. Made for a more normal routine (and less work for them).

So - hope all goes well. Feel free to pm me if you want to discuss further.

pmgkt Mon 10-Dec-12 09:36:08

Thanks civil. It seems logical to me in the same way as your consultant thought. They have done their rounds today and as the head has been down for a while now, they have 2 plans. If the head stays down, although its not engaged and is still moving around but down, for a few more days, she will let me go home. If she is still unhappy then I can section at 39 weeks.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: