Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

I'm in early labour two days before ELCS - what should I do?

(14 Posts)
missrose Sat 08-Dec-12 08:33:08

I'm due to have an elective c section on Monday because I had a placental abruption and emergency c section with DD1.

However I've been in hospital for the last 24 hours as I've been having contractions every 10 mins for that time.

A senior registrar has told me I may have to have a vbac as they are very busy and may not be able to fit me in for c section.

I'm totally unprepared for this, mentally and physically, and spent months deciding whether to go for the c section or not.

I'm really worried as I have a higher risk of having another abruption having already had one and the risks of vbac after a previous c section.

The only thing I can do is hope the baby doesn't arrive before the planned c section on Monday.

Is there anything I can do to have the c section if it does arrive before Monday? I'm terrified of having another extremely traumatic birth and feel as if I'm being forced to have a vbac. I know the risks of another abruption or scar rupture are very small but they are there nonetheless. Has anyone been in a similar position?

ShhhhhGoBackToSleep Sat 08-Dec-12 08:48:11

You poor thing, sounds really stressful and upsetting sad

Unmumsnetty (((hugs)))

in my experience you will need to be really pushy, overly emotional and verging on the unpleasant to make you you get the CS. If they think you will be really difficult and/or it will make their lives much harder they will prioritise you. It's a fact of life that the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

A friend in a similar situation told the register that anything that happened to her or her son would be entirely his fault and he would know that for the rest of his life, and demanded to see the consultant. She got the CS.

Another friend was very polite and told them repeatedly she really wanted a CS as soon as possible (due to previous 3rd degree tear). She had an unwanted VBAC and a 4th degree tear.

If you are calm and polite and dying inside they will put you at the bottom of the list. Have you got someone with you to help fight your corner?

BuntysFestiveCollocks Sat 08-Dec-12 08:56:35

Agree with pp.

Also, is there another hospital you can go to close? I'd turn up there with my notes and try my luck.

MarzipanAnimal Sat 08-Dec-12 09:08:26

Poor you, how stressful. I do know someone though who was in your position who had a quick, easy and natural delivery so she was very pleased the cs was delayed in the end!

friendlymum67 Sat 08-Dec-12 09:13:28

You could try asking to speak to the Supervisor of Midwives - she should listen to your concerns and hopefully speak to doctors on your behalf.

missrose Sat 08-Dec-12 09:31:44

Thanks everyone for your comments. We're just waiting for the doctor to come round. The contractions seem to have slowed down now so that's good news.

Just had a chat with DH about how we will have be really pushy if the labour picks up again and we will demand to see the consultant. I've had to justify why I want an ELCS to everyone I've seen so far and everyone has said I would be fine with a VBAC even though I have never been in labour before and I, let alone them, have no idea how I would labour.

A new midwife has just come on duty and ld me she thinks it's Braxton Hicks even though I have dilated 2cm. I'm so confused now as everyone is telling me different things.

mmmmsleep Sat 08-Dec-12 13:55:38

OP demand to see the consultant on call and supervisor of midwives. The consultant might have to call in second on call anaethetist and get permission to open second theatre which all takes time.

Did you have abruption before labouring at all last time. How dilated were you? Factors like whether you have had a vb before , your age, weight and position of baby (?back to back) affect your chances of successful vbac. Completely understand how you feel and i get that if you"ve experienced an abruption already all the stats in the world saying low risk still doesn't help get rid of your experience and the emotions around what must have been a scary experience before.

I'm not saying don't have vbac...just think if cs is your birth plan and you are not prepared to consent to risks of vbac then time to get a bit demanding for senior input. I wonder whether your fear of vb is what's brought it to a halt..handy sometimes those hormones! Good luck op for a safe birth of your lovely baby.

rainrainandmorerain Sun 09-Dec-12 00:10:17

agree with shhh and others. I wouldn't wait for labour to 'pick up' - you need to get clarity now about what is happening. If you don't get a consultant/supervisor of mws and state your case assertively, there is a danger you will be left to 'see how it goes.'

All very well if a trial of labour is what you want and have agreed, but that's not the case for you.

Yes, theatres do get busy - but they get windows, they just need to prioritise fitting you in rather than just not bothering. Have you checked whether you are even on the theatre list yet....?

I really wouldn't wait. You don't know how fast things will progress if they do kick off (fast labour would make it harder to fit you in to a theatre slot and they are likely to expect you to attempt a vb). You need to talk to a consultant asap. Good luck.

LadyStark Sun 09-Dec-12 00:17:34

I would suggest being quite heavy handed, write down and sign, date and time your request for a c section and that you don't consent to a VBAC - sk them to sign confirming receipt. Do this every time, with every doctor. The fear that you'd use this to sue them should anything go wrong will probably be enough to get your CS.

drcrab Sun 09-Dec-12 00:55:38

Isn't placenta abruption pretty serious and therefore dangerous for you and baby?? I would be pushing for the CS and make a lot of noise. Good luck.

ShhhhhGoBackToSleep Sun 09-Dec-12 22:13:16

How's it going missrose? Hope all is well.

missrose Thu 13-Dec-12 20:59:52

Hi everyone, thanks for asking after me.

I'm at home now with my brand new dd!

I was kept in hospital until Saturday afternoon. I saw the consultant and she was amazing - I didn't have to be pushy or anything. She'd obviously read my notes so saw the abruption and emergency c section and said it was fine or me to request another one now. She was in charge until Monday afternoon and was actually booked in to do my planned c section anyway.

She wrote in my notes that if I went into labour she had agreed to a c section and any problems to call her. So... My waters broke at 4am on Sunday morning and I started having two or three contractions a minute immediately. We rushed to hospital and two hours later dd was born by c section. The doctors were great, especially the anaethetist, who organised the screen being lowered so we could see her being born, skin to skin and asking the midwife to bring the weighing scales to where I could see her being weighed. I think I honestly love that man!

It wasn't that I was scared of having a vaginal birth, it's just that the risk of having another abruption increases if you have already had one, and there are risks of scar rupture from the first c section. Also, as I hadn't been in labour before I didn't know how smoothly it would go. What I wanted to avoid was rushing to hospital in extreme pain again and in fact that was what ended up happening. The contractions were so fast and close together I don't know how I would have managed that labour. It was almost as bad as another abruption.

Anyway, we're home and happy, and thanks again for all your comments an help.

rainrainandmorerain Fri 14-Dec-12 08:54:14

Very happy to hear it all went ok -congratulations, and I am so glad you didn't have a fight on your hands!

ShhhhhGoBackToSleep Tue 18-Dec-12 13:49:58


Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: