Talk

Advanced search

Giving birth for second time. . Will it be same?

(20 Posts)
chubbychipmonk Mon 19-Nov-12 23:15:32

Am due second baby in March. Had relatively easy birth with DS1, 10 hour labour all in , gas & air, no stitches. Worried now that I'm in for a horrible labour this time!
Any mothers of multiple babies, were all births the same? Is it wrong to expect the same??

AndMiffyWentToSleep Tue 20-Nov-12 03:39:43

I thought it was supposed to get easier (or at least quicker)...I've only had one myself though

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Tue 20-Nov-12 03:47:42

Quicker, more painful though for me! But very similar drug free home births (appreciate I'm one of the lucky ones)

MakeTeaNotWar Tue 20-Nov-12 04:18:49

Quicker - I has a lovely homebirth with a glass of merlot as pain relief & less than an hour's active labour! First labour also v straightforward - 4 hours, water birth at the MLU so fingers crossed & positive thinking that yours will follow. Good luck!

Pochemuchka Tue 20-Nov-12 04:31:05

Quicker for me too.
Epic 48 hours with DD.
With DS I knew in the morning I'd have him that day. Did some shopping (while contracting!), put the cot up, finished last minute things off.
Settled down for Saturday night TV, went into labour properly at about 9pm and had DS in my arms at 12.45am.

Was less painful for me - had just gas and air - and there are photos of me laughing in labour and being generally excited! smile

Good luck!

MoleyMick Tue 20-Nov-12 04:34:21

Quicker for me too - 22 hours with dc1, 12 with dc2. Also more intense!

Chunkychicken Tue 20-Nov-12 05:59:40

Quicker for me too. Was about 12hrs from show to baby with DD and maybe 3-4hrs in active labour/2nd stage, whereas I went from 4cm to baby in less than 1.5 hrs with DS.

Had a couple of stitches this time around, but think they were to do with scar tissue from the stitches I had with DD. Used only G&A both times for the last bit but stooped using it to push this time.

vvviola Tue 20-Nov-12 06:03:26

Much quicker, and very different.

DC1: waters broke, contractions started, about 6 hours later she arrived.

DC2: went to routine appointment to be told I was already 5cm. Wander around for a couple of hours. They broke my waters at 8cm & she arrived 45 minutes later confused

AnathemaDevice Tue 20-Nov-12 13:34:56

Both labours were the same length for me- 6 1/2 hours. But the pushing stage was a little quicker. 12 minutes for DD as opposed to 19 minutes with DS.

I found it easier the second time around as I knew what to expect. The midwife didn't believe how dialated I was when she examined me as I was so calm. I was just calm as I knew there was no point in panicking, the baby was coming whether I liked it or not.

DC3 is due in 10 weeks. I'm hoping for a similar experience this time around.

dreamingofsun Tue 20-Nov-12 13:41:50

quicker - about 2 hours instead of 4. hurt just the same and i had more stitches afterwards. 3rd one i had an emergency caesarian as got induced as so late and baby alarmed.

so quicker, but no less painful. but my babies were all largish with big heads.

first 2 both 10 days late. 3rd one - well over 10 days.

chubbychipmonk Tue 20-Nov-12 14:48:13

What about being born earlier? DS was 2 weeks early, is it likely this one will be too?

dreamingofsun Tue 20-Nov-12 15:30:33

is your monthly cycle always early or late? I thought this might have made a difference as mine was always a couple of days late.

ShushBaby Tue 20-Nov-12 19:53:55

Quicker (4.5 hrs compared to 16), easier, more straightforward, earlier (39 weeks vs induced at 40+10)- and just better!

Ohhelpohnoitsa Tue 20-Nov-12 19:56:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

xlatia Tue 20-Nov-12 22:34:58

oh that really lifts my spirits!currently 10 weeks but DS1 took 24 hours from start of induction to finish, 19 hours with contractions. i was desperate for an epidural after about 7 hours of contractions but of course i was unable to leave the bed for the rest of the time... 45 mins of pushing is also something i'm not keen to repeat!

DewDr0p Tue 20-Nov-12 22:44:03

dc1 - 6 hour labour, went straight into proper contractions, all went smoothly, 1 hr pushing, G&A, 2 weeks early, few stitches

dc2 - 1hr50 labour, went straight into full on contractions, very smooth, out in 3 pushes, about 2 puffs of G&A (only just made it to birthing unit in time!), 9 days early, few stitches

dc3 - 5 hour labour, more niggly before proper contractions, back to back and head up so very painful and quite a long time pushing but ultimately straightforward, G&A, home birth, 3 weeks early, no stitches

So more similarities than differences but not identical either. Delivered them all in different positions too. Must admit the difficulty in pushing out dc3 was a bit of a shock after the amazing experience I had with dc2 where I was all "I am woman hear me roar " grin

Chunkychicken Tue 20-Nov-12 23:14:26

Apparently, if you have the same partner for both pregnancies, it is likely (except in extreme cases obviously like seriously premmie births etc) that you will have roughly the same gestation.

My DD - 39+3
My DD - 38+6

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Wed 21-Nov-12 02:22:18

Also earlier, DC1 at 41+3, DC2 at 40+1 (she was also a pound heavier!)

Chunkychicken Wed 21-Nov-12 03:43:58

My post should read DS - 38 + 6. My phone clearly hasn't worked out I have one of each yet, but then he's only 10do!!!

humblebumble Wed 21-Nov-12 04:14:33

Both quick easy labours and delivery (under 2 hours for both), first induced at 40+2, second 1.5 weeks early.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now