Talk

Advanced search

Vaginal breech birth stories

(10 Posts)
wkmmum Mon 19-Nov-12 16:58:29

I'm 39+3 and baby is still breech. Have seen the consultant midwife and we have a plan in place for a vaginal breech birth. But I'm suddenly feeling really scared about this and have become really worried that it's all going to go wrong.

Can anyone tell me your breech stories (vaginal) and what it was like? Is it very different to if baby is the right way round? This is DC2 but DS was the right way round and there were no problems xx

HardlyEverHoovers Mon 19-Nov-12 20:32:16

Hi, I'm afraid my story probably isn't quite what you had in mind, but saw your unanswered question and thought it might help you consider all eventualities!
I opted for a vaginal breech birth, it was my first pregnancy. I had to be quite assertive to get the health professionals to agree. My waters broke 3 weeks before my due date, and I had many people at the hospital attempt to talk me out of a vaginal birth, however, some were also supportive. After 24 hours of not progressing I was told I really needed a csection for babies sake. I've since found out there were other options at that stage that I wasn't told about. I can't tell you much about labour as didn't get very far with it, but found tens machine helpful until it fell in the toilet blush
On the positive side I had the c-section, obviously it's not really a nice experience, but was fine for both me and baby. DS was taken away for checking immediately but my husband went with him (while I sobbed in relief in the operating theatre!) and my husband then brought him to me and put him in my arms (best memory ever). We then had lots of skin to skin and he breast fed straight away. I recovered remarkably quickly, scar is OK.
Just wanted to reassure you that if it doesn't go to plan the alternative is OK as well!

HardlyEverHoovers Mon 19-Nov-12 20:33:50

By the way, apparently it's common for breech births not to progress so well, as the babies head being where it should be helps the opening up process. But of course, lots of people do manage it so not impossible!

yellowsubmarine53 Mon 19-Nov-12 20:39:19

My friend had her first baby as a vaginal breech. She had her sister, who is a midwife in rural America with her as a birth partner who was obviously experienced in delivering breech babies. Her consultant was Wendy Savage, who was on the ward that day.

It was a fairly long labour - waters went around 5am, baby born that evening - but not particularly long for a first labour. I remember her saying that the second stage went on for ages, as her contractions stopped and there wasn't anything happening, possibly because a bum isn't as heavy as a head to push on the cervix?

I think she only had gas and air, did tear a bit, but healed well etc. Result is now 12 years old. the hospital monitored her very closely, and I think it really helped that she was with people who were experienced in delivering breech babies vaginally and believed she could do it.

Good luck.

DoulaKate Mon 19-Nov-12 23:14:27

Hi. Good to hear you are being supported by your midwife. You will hopefully be attended by an experienced midwife who is confident with breech deliveries. Have you read "Birth Reborn" by Michael Odent? You may find this book useful and informative, giving you information on how best to prepare and position yourself during labour for a breech delivery. I attended my sister who had a natural breech delivery and she found that supported squatting really helped during labour, particularly when actually giving birth, using gravity to assist the baby to move down the birth canal. Hope all goes well. One last thing; there's still time for baby to move position if it wants to! smile

peanutintheoven Mon 19-Nov-12 23:22:26

Ds1 was vaginal breech delivery with no problems whatsoever. Arrived at hospital fully dilated after 6 hours of contractions and waters breaking at home. Paracetamol and tens only, baby out after 30 mind of pushing and no tearing etc. Was undiagnosed until I got to hospital thank goodness otherwise I probably wouldn't accepted a section. For me the vaginal delivery was far preferable!!

wkmmum Tue 20-Nov-12 12:49:47

Thanks everyone. It's good to hear your stories and also to know that if things don't go the way I want it doesn't have to be a bad experience.

Am feeling a lot calmer and more positive about it today. Think I was focusing too much on all the potential problems. But I've decided that I'm just going to go with it and deal with anything if and when it happens. That's not to say I'm ignoring any potential problems as I'm well aware of them. But I was working myself up and making myself really stressed and unhappy and that's not good for me or the baby xx

HardlyEverHoovers Tue 20-Nov-12 14:10:51

Glad you feel better. To be honest all labours are so unpredictable it's probably best to have the attitude you've got.

HowToChangeThis Tue 20-Nov-12 14:12:14

I'm being supported in having a breech VB if ECV fails in a few days time. Have you been offered ECV, they should offer two attempts, at least one using salbutamol to relax the muscles. They can attempt ECV right up until delivery.

The midwives I've spoken to are very matter of fact about breech VB and don't seem to think it is too big a deal so long as baby is continuously monitored and the head is supported on the way out (so it doesn't get it's chin stuck).

My first labour was very quick and uncomplicated, I'm hoping this will be too just potentially with the head coming out last.

By the way, I've been told to be very insistent that baby's hips are repeatedly checked over the first few weeks and by different people so if baby does require any intervention it gets it before it is too late.

Apparentlychilled Tue 20-Nov-12 14:17:51

My DD was N undiagnosed frank breech (so feet beside her head) and I had a vaginal delivery, which was fine. I had an episiotomy, and apparently the incision was larger than normal because she was breech. Otherwise all was fine. She did have clicks hips, but by time of 6 week check washable nappies had sorted her out.
btw, it did mean all the. Idwives thought I was amazing and I got great TLC from them all!
Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now