Talk

Advanced search

39+3 and DH has just come down with winter vomiting bug

(6 Posts)
Graciescotland Mon 19-Nov-12 13:25:29

DS (2) and I have just had this all in all it took me 10 days to recover. DS still has a bit of a dickie tummy but is definitely on the mend. I'm very grateful that baby managed not to arrive when I was ill but now DH has caught it. I reckon it'll be at least a week before he's well.

If I go into labour before he's recovered can baby catch it from him? I'm hoping I'll have passed on antibodies and planning on bf will that be enough protection?

Also I'm assuming he's not allowed in hospital with me? Or would it be ok in the private labour room but not to visit on the ward. I don't really want to be by myself in labour, which is selfish, I know but understandable?

BrewEmoticon Mon 19-Nov-12 13:30:18

It took you 10 days to receover because you're 9 months pregnant and run down. He'll be over the worst in 24 hours and able to step up if required.

But hopefully you won't go into labour anyway. I'm not sure of the science behind it but I do pretty much beleive your body won't relax and allow itself to go into labour until you feel safe to do so.

So try not to panic too much about it. Keep zen. Good luck.

NellyTheElephant Mon 19-Nov-12 14:48:20

Please try not to worry too much.

I had a similar experience when expecting DC2. I was booked for a CS on the Monday. I was up all night with DC1 vomiting all over me on the Saturday, on the Monday morning as I got up to prepare for the CS, DH was being sick. To cut a long story short, he was not allowed into theatre with me for the op (but remember, he was actually in mid throws of being sick every half hour), and we were asked that he did not visit the wards for 48 hours (not that anyone would have checked if he had, but we respected that). I took DD2 out of the hospital to see him as soon as I could walk (although I didn't let him hold her). I asked to stay in hospital an extra day, not because I was worried that the baby would catch the bug (and none of the staff seemed too worried about that either, I was BF and they seemed to think it would be fine), but because the I wanted to relax with new baby without the stress and exhaustion of convalescent DH and DD1 (never thought I'd see the day that a crowded NHS ward would be more relaxing than my home!!)

Your situation is slightly different though, firstly I very much doubt that they would mind your DH being in a private labour room with you - the issue for us was the operating theatre and even then it took them quite some time to actually decide to exclude him.

That fact that your DH actually has the bug is a good thing. In all likelihood he will recover much more quickly than you did and as long as he is not actually being sick everywhere (as my Dh was) then you can arm him with loads of disinfectant wipes and alcohol gel and I am sure all will be fine. The usual advice is to be symptom free for 48 hrs before going into a hospital. Good luck. I hope the baby holds on a few more days and he is fully recovered.

Graciescotland Mon 19-Nov-12 15:14:08

Me too, I will cross legs and try and avoid all the usual baby inducing things. DH not really vomiting too much and I'm feeding him toast and diaorolyte. I found that I stopped vomiting fairly quicker, it was the back end which was the real problem.

I had assumed baby would come early (DS was 39+1) but hopefully baby will wait it out.

crunchingautumnleaves Mon 19-Nov-12 15:41:34

The best thing to do would be ask what your hospital's policy is or google the hospital/trust name & norovirus. Many hospitals seem to have a policy in place. It seems the general rule is no visiting within 48 hours of vomiting or diarrhoea. Also, please note that alcohol hand gel is not seen as effective in combating norovirus - instead, go for regular thorough handwashing with soap and water.

Graciescotland Mon 19-Nov-12 16:28:48

I have a midwife appointment on Wednesday and I'll ask then, I know the hospital has had ward closures in October and February this year due to the same bug so they might have a bit of a zero tolerance policy I can only find old articles by googling. I should be in the MLU though which is separate to the main building.

The joys of childbirth...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now