Advanced search

Ok, keep me sane - those who declined Induction!

(35 Posts)
TheDetective Wed 14-Nov-12 11:33:31

I am now 40+11 by scan dates (my own dates make me a couple of days less). I am absolutely declining IOL for post dates alone. I am a VBAC, and planning a homebirth.

So, despite being a midwife myself, I have never really come across women who decline IOL. Most are begging for it at this point... but not me!

So, if you declined it... what happened next! Please reassure me that I won't be pregnant forever. Stupid hormones!

I was 40+13 by scan dates last time, but 40+9 by my own dates. However I wasn't 100% sure of my own dates. This time I am definite.

I need your stories!

shinyblackgrape Thu 15-Nov-12 00:08:24

Glad I've found this thread. Just reading one where a poster talks about a doctor 'insisting' on an induction and one being done. This totally horrified me. I'm 38+5 so not overdue yet.

If I do become overdue (40+10) at local shitty hospital, do I have to go and see a condultant? My next appointment with midwife is at 40+4. Presumably I can just refuse any consultant appointment then and say I'll discuss when properly overdue.

Am booked in to wythenshawe hospital where I haven't heard a single good word about the consultants/registrars there. Midwives are pretty crap too but the lesser of two evils so would rather avoid the consultants etc unless I absolutely have to

FruitSaladIsNotPudding Thu 15-Nov-12 10:09:25

I've been told I have to see a consultant at 40+12 ( they would normally book induction for then.) Obviously they can't make me see anyone, but I will go, but will make sure that I have my doula with me to help me argue my case if I get an arsey consultant. Is there anyone ballsy and knowledgeable you could take with you?

I'm hoping it doesn't come to that though! Am 40 weeks tomorrow by their dates which I know are out by at least 4 days. I won't consider induction until I am 40+12 by my dates, and even then would rather wait it out if all is well.

cheesesavory Thu 15-Nov-12 10:25:35

No, I didn’t see a consultant at the point I refused induction. I agreed to daily monitoring and went for my first session at 40+13 which was the day I was originally due to be induced (got my days above all muddled!). The consultant came to see me then to look at the trace etc and we did discuss putting a cut off on the monitoring so I agreed to an induction at 40+16 which I was happy with as I do think there is a point where it becomes better to do it than wait. I went into labour the next day.

shinyblackgrape Thu 15-Nov-12 12:41:36

That's great advice - thanks. I'm happy to agree to daily monitoring and could very well agree to the induction if I feel it's right. I just want to make sure that I can have a discussion regarding it.

I've seen loads of midwives ( never seen the same one more than twice) and thry're all very "...and this is when we will induce you. You'll come to the hospital then etc and be in the ward". It's presented as a fait accompli with no discussion to be had.

Re who to take, I do have a doula and DH is very good. Just want to make sure we have a discussion as I know the hospital we are going to are notorious for whacking people straight on a drip, ramping it up ASAP and then announcing that, actually, unfortunately the anaesthetists are all busy fir the next 6 hours. Cue horrific contractions very quickly with no pain relief Two colleagues have ended up giving birth alone due to this. One, to be fair, because the midwife had gone to desperately look for an anaesthetist and one because the midwife said she was "fussing" and had buggered off.

cheesesavory Thu 15-Nov-12 13:48:42

According to NICE guidelines they are supposed to talk through the alternatives when they talk about induction, but I don’t know anyone they have done that with. They booked me in for 40+12 when I was 40+5ish and I was so stressed about it (came out in tears) that I am convinced it contributed to me not going in to labour. I discussed it with several people (including a GP friend) in the next few days and came to the conclusion that there was no reason other than “policy” that they wanted to induce me. I they had come up with a medical reason I would have gone with it, but they didn’t. interestingly I later found out that my MIL had refused induction with DH on the grounds that he would come when he was ready, but without actually realising what a stir she was causing (in the 70s!).

shinyblackgrape Thu 15-Nov-12 14:27:47

cheese- - sorry you feel sad :-(

I may very well agree but just want to go through both the pros and cons with the consultant and work out why it is being recommended. I do think that's perfectly reasonable and immsorry that didn't happen with you. Its such a massively vulnerable time and things like this can make such a difference.

It's good you had a GP friend to discuss with DH's aunt is a GP (with 4 children). She's been a huge help to us and explained the issues around policy vis a vis actual medical necessity etc and made me realise it's absolutely fine to question and have a discussion re things. If the consultant has a problem with that, then that's the consultant's problem!

It's made me feel much, much calmer about the whole process as now I feel it can be collaborative rather than me just having things done to me which made me feel really worried and upset.

cheesesavory Thu 15-Nov-12 19:46:50

No this was over 2 years ago so don't worry! I was just trying to explain how I felt at the time grin

TheDetective Sat 17-Nov-12 18:45:03

Ok, I'm still here at 42 weeks today!

I need stories, and lots of them! Please tell me how you spontaneously laboured after 42 weeks! (And when...!)

I've read all the ones on!

<Cries in self pity>

Welovecouscous Sat 17-Nov-12 19:19:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StarlightMcKenzie Sat 17-Nov-12 22:45:03

Lol. You'll get there. Just be pleased your baby is quiet, feeding his/herself and changing his/her own nappies.

I was told I HAD to see a consultant at 40+12 by their dates. I told them 'no chance' but I woukd agree to a scan at 40+14 by MY dates.

They also wanted me to go for an earlier scan due to having a big baby. I also refused because so what if it's big?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now