2 prev C sects , VBAC for no 3???????(18 Posts)
37 wks pregnant, have moved back home from abroad and seen the consult on monday who told me guidelines have changed and after 2 c sects , 1st EMCS for foetal distress & failure to progress 36 mths ago, 2nd ELCS 16 mths ago I can now try for VBAC for baby 3. In turmoil now, not sure what to do , do I give my 2 DS's a chance of having a mum back on her feet quicker ( if all goes well ) or do I chose what I know and have an organised stress free birth with no chance of rupture but have 6 wk restrictions. I am worried that my births have been so close together and will cause me alot of complications if I try a natural birth, has anyone else had a VBAC so quickly after 2 c sects??
I had 3 normal births then C-section. then a VBAC 3.5 years later.
I'm no doctor, but I would go for another C-section. forget guidelines.
Had 2nd and 3rd 17 moths apart, and that was too quick for comfort for me, with no complications.
I'd be feeling worried if it was 2nd pregnancy after 16 moths, but you have 2 scars, twice the risk.
I thought it was min of 2 years.
I don't want to scare you but my midwife said that although in her 15 years practice she had only 2 scar raptures, tragically they lost both babies.
One of the mums was also in a serious state, was tough and go for a while.. there's just so little time to get baby out and it's just not worth the risk!
I don't care what anyone says about statistics, there are no way of knowing what will happen either way.
Even if you tried VBAC and scars were ok that could be other complication and you could still end up with the section.
book the section asap. or if you go into labour call an ambulance and have an emergency one.
I had a VB with DS3 (first for malpresentation, second planned at term + 5) but the gap was bigger, 3 years.
Apparently I was the first person in the hospital to have a VBA2C on the midwife led unit. What gave me greatest confidence was that I knew the faintest whiff of trouble and I'd be straight in for a C/S. I desperately did not want another elective (which I found one of the most stressful experiences of my life). It wasn't that I particularly wanted a VB for any earth mothery type reasons, but it was really amazing. Zero complications and DS3 born less than an hour after arriving at hospital. Home by teatime. Ace.
Fantastic result, but as you say you had 3 years in between, which is a massive difference!
which is apparently the optimal gap to have between babies, so the body can have the maximum amount of time to recover.
(I learnt about this ages ago, graphs and charts, made sense. and why, lots of factors, very complicated, it probably isn't valid anymore, or what ever, so please let's not argue about it. let's say it's a good rule of thumb. we had 6 kids. never 3 years in between, go figure)
Can you get a second or third opinion from the actual medical people/hospital staff you'll be looking after you?
I'm thinking that the more you are asking the more you'll hear that they can only suggest this and that, it's ultimately your decision. very helpful
I used to do dangerous sports and happy to take some risks. I wouldn't chance this one. have a C-section, please.
What does hubby think?
The risk of scar rupture is still small, but the consequences should it occur are catastrophic. And the thing about risks/stats is no-one can tell you exactly how they apply to your particular circumstance.
For me, it was worth a try. I was labouring in the ward next to theatre, I had a very experienced midwife and all went well. I was also, as I said very motivated to avoid another C/S because I found it absolutely horrific. If I wasn't bothered, I'd probably have had a section.
Thanks ladies, this is such a difficult decision. My hubby is happy to go with whatever I decide, he is very supportive.
I think I am going to have to do more research, but MerylStrop your first sentence is the niggle in the back of my mind, ever since the consult mentioned VBAC. I could never forgive myself if something happened
I had two c-sections before a VB with DC3. Not by choice - he was premature and roared into the world very quickly.
It's impossible to take that extra stress out of the equation, but I did prefer the c-sections even with the extra recovery time.
I remember very clearly the first consultant into the room after the delivery asking me questions about shoulder pain as that was a sign of a rupture.
How did you find your c-sections and would you have extra support after the birth?
EyeoftheStorm 1st emergency c sect- long hard recovery had rectus sheath nerve entrapment, like someone stabbing me with a hot poker in the abdomin, would immobilise me sometimes. 2nd c sect ( elective) they gave me a new scar and was up on my feet and fine within 10 days.
Yes I will have my hubby home with me for 6 wks if I have c sect and just 2wks if I have a VBAC.
Hi losing it, I had 2 sections (emergency then elective) with a 32 month gap between the two. Baby 3 was booked elective but like eye of storm came too quickly. Although I am happy to have had him this way I recovered quicker and felt better after the sections and I'd choose a section again (if I was going for a fourth)!
First section would have put me off - sounds awful. But 2nd one sounds like mine. If I'd had DH on hand for 6 weeks, I would have snapped the doc's hand off for a section if DC3 hadn't had other ideas.
I suppose I liked the known of a c-section compared with the unknown of a VB.
Would you like to experience a VB?
Just be grateful that you are offered another ElCS and keep your fanjo intact.
I am not fussed about experiencing a VB, I have felt contractions, experienced pethidine and dont have a big desire to feel a bowling ball come out my bits. Truth is as long as the child comes out safe it can come out my nostrils for all I care, its just trying to decide whats best for this baby and the 2 kids I have...aghhhhh
The evidence for VBA2C is the same as VBA1C, but in any VBAC waiting at least 12 months before conception is advised, which you're a bit short of. So it's not the 2 previous CS that might be the problem, it's the slightly (albeit only a bit) shorter gap between the last one and this birth.
I've had a VBAC and it was lovely to be home for my toddler the same day, and be running up and down the garden the next day, but it wasn't a magical mystery experience, and I felt like shit afterwards, although for a shorter amount of time than I would have with a section. The piles were fucking awful. I can't emphasise that enough. It's the great untold secret of vaginal birth, I reckon.
Iamlosingit - You are only laughing because you don't know what vaginal birth can do to your lady bits. Especially first VB as this will be for you.
I am very serious. Take the elCS offered and thank your lucky stars.
best for kids to have a happy healthy mum and happy healthy sibling!
my VBAC boy was 9lb 14 and they said it was a good thing my C/S was 3.5 yrs previously!!!
my firstborn got stuck and after 3 hours of pushing they delivered by forceps delivery, had massive episiotomy, scar of which hurt for about 8-9 months!!
it was THE most traumatic birth out of all 6!
had to have stitches with 2nd, 3rd and 5th sons, it's like a frigging embroidery course down there! (4th was the C section)
thankfully my daughter was gracious enough to be born without the need for stitches (6th child)
be safe and keep it honeymoon fresh!
Ladies thank you so much for the laughs and advice, I have decided to keep my lady bits intact and tight and go for the ELCS. Really it was that slim chance, that if I did rupture that I could lose my baby that swung it, any chance is too high for me. I agree my scars are too fresh too risk it. But sometimes you just need the honest unattached advice of others to help make your decision, and you guys have been very honest, especially about the pleasures of natural child birth lol
Thanks to you all and mumsnet for providing us with this very helpful forum xx
Hi just to update those who commented on here. I decided to have a c sect and was told by the consultant who delivered my daughter, that the mebrane was so thin , that when I was opened up the baby was looking up at her. If I had of gone for a natural she is sure I would of ruptured, and she does not recommend any more children for this reason. So thank you everyone for your advice, it helped me make the right decision x
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.