Talk

Advanced search

Am I definitely looking at a c section now do you think?

(7 Posts)
MurtleTheTurtle Sun 04-Nov-12 15:58:07

I know no-one can give me the answer but I'd appreciate any opinions.

I am currently 34+4 with baby no 3. Placenta was low at 20 week scan but I wasn't too worried as it was with my first and had moved by 34 weeks. Went for scan this week and it is still low! Touching the OS according to my notes. I asked what this meant and was told that if nothing changed baby couldn't come out naturally.

To make matters worse baby is breech.

I have an appointment for a further scan at almost 37 weeks and to see a doctor for assessment afterwards.

I know some placentas do move at this late stage and babies do turn, but are both likely to happen in time do you think? If not, when do you think I would be scheduled for a section? I've read anything from 37 to 40 weeks.

I live a good hour from the nearest hospital but I've read that the placenta isn't dangerous as its only touching not covering, which could cause complications. Does this sound correct?

I'd really appreciate any thoughts - do I just need to get my head around a section at this stage do you think? I'd just assumed birth would be a natural one!

lljkk Sun 04-Nov-12 17:21:48

I think only the 37 week scan can answer your questions, tbh. Local protocols come into it, too. Sorry.
Only touching the OS is lower risk, for sure. But that's "risk": it's chance, not certainty.

coronalover Sun 04-Nov-12 17:26:23

don't know about the placenta but your baby could easily still turn - have a look at the spinning babies website for exercises you can do to help. my baby turned at about 34-35wks and has stayed head down ever since. Good luck smile

VivaLeBeaver Sun 04-Nov-12 17:29:09

I think they like the placenta to be a certain distance from the os, so if its still touching at the next scan then yes probably a section.

Planned sections shouldn't be done before you're 39 weeks according to rcog guidelines.

Baby may well not be turning because of the low placenta. But normally at 34 weeks there is still plenty of time for baby to turn, cople more weeks anyway before they'd start considering an ecv. But an ecv would depend on your placenta.

FrightRunScream Sun 04-Nov-12 17:29:38

My second baby was breech at 34 weeks, but turned by 36. Don't know about your placenta though.

FrightRunScream Sun 04-Nov-12 17:31:34

I'd get mentally prepared for a c section though.

MurtleTheTurtle Sun 04-Nov-12 19:30:55

Thank you for responding. I'm such a planner usually that waiting until 37 weeks for a clearer idea of what's happening will be torture!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now