Talk

Advanced search

If you're worried about c section, I'd be very happy

(12 Posts)
Cathycomehome Sun 04-Nov-12 00:43:56

to tell you about my marvellous experience, and put your mind at rest.

shinyblackgrape Sun 04-Nov-12 00:47:28

Please do. 37 weeks pregnant. Presume it was planned??

Cathycomehome Sun 04-Nov-12 00:56:36

Yep. Elcs, second child, beautiful experience, fast recovery and no trauma. Going to sleep now, but can give more detail tomorrow if you like? smile

bluefroggy Sun 04-Nov-12 06:09:58

Yes please. Was it nhs? What was postnatal care like?

PseudoBadger Sun 04-Nov-12 07:08:32

If you can tell me how you persuaded them to let you have an elcs <already panicking at 8 weeks with dc2>
Glad it went well smile

Cathycomehome Sun 04-Nov-12 07:53:24

Hi, yes, it was NHS. I was home after 48 hours and didn't need any other pain relief than paracetamol every so often for a couple of days. Scar small, thin and hardly noticeable. Post natal care was fab, staff couldn't have been more caring and helpful, and the staff during the operation itself were also lovely, reassuring and friendly. Honestly felt pretty much back to normal after a week.

I got the section by asking for it after being traumatised by the 'textbook" no intervention, no lasting physical damage birth of my older son! I just couldn't cope with childbirth at all, as it turned out.

Really was a great experience and I've found it easier to bond with ds2, I think, (although obviously I love both equally, I have no negative emotions about the birth this time, and I did the first time).

Anyway, hth grin

Penny2012 Sun 04-Nov-12 10:26:44

I went through labour (10 hours to 10cm then 3 hours pushing in vain) the. Had emergency c section. I was so relieved to have it and the procedure was so peaceful I slept through it just felt like I was having a tummy massage. I will definitely opt for one next time and forego labour. The recovery is quicker than you think. People say 6 weeks but I was able to sit up using my tummy muscles by 3 weeks. Oh and the not being allowed to drive for 6 weeks is a myth - just check with your own insurance co. Unfortunately my post natal care was not great but that was more on an emotional and caring level than a medical one.

I also have breastfed happily and many people say it's harder after c section. Only in terms of picking baby up at first. Good bf cushion was all I needed and loads of tips from bf team at the hospital. He took a few days to latch properly after pethadine and spinal block but I was determined to do it and succeeded! smile

ladymarian Mon 05-Nov-12 10:03:17

Thanks so much for this OP! This is just what I need to read as I am having an ELCS a week today for my 2nd DC. Like you my DD's vaginal birth was textbook, normal etc yet I developed PTSD, anxiety and PND. Turns out I had undiagnosed tocophobia. I had no problem getting the consultant to agree to an ELCS (she referred me to a psychiatrist who confirmed all of the above. Obviously I am nervous about having an operation and worried about the recovery so its great to hear positive stories like yours. The recovery from my DD's birth was hardly great - physically and mentally - so this can't be any worse

RunningOutOfIdeas Mon 05-Nov-12 10:45:39

I also had an elcs for DD2, after emcs for DD1. Elcs was so much better, mainly because I did not have the same rollercoaster of emotions due to nearly losing DD1. With both CSs I have reacted badly to the spinal block - v low blood pressure, vomiting, breathing difficulty but for the elcs the anaesthetist was prepared for this.

I am now 4 weeks post cs, have a neat cut that is healing well. I can drive and do whatever I need to around home. BF has been fine right from the start.

choceyes Mon 05-Nov-12 10:57:34

I had an ELCS for my DD and I loved it. It was really really nice. Nice, easy recovery and great postnatal care (NHS). I had one because I had an EMCS for DS after a traumatic labour of 27 hours active labours and 3 days of slow labour. DS was jaundiced and all the drugs made him so sleepy and he just woudn't latch on, so BF failed.
DD on the other hand, born peacefully by ELCS, latched on perfectly, we've had absolutely no issues with BF whatsoever and still going strong at 2.2yrs!

choceyes Mon 05-Nov-12 10:58:44

yes and I bonded from day 1 for DD, but took me awhile with DS. The horrible labour and elcs was so traumatic, plus the failed breastfeeding, it was a horrible first couple of months.

choceyes Mon 05-Nov-12 10:59:16

i mean emcs was traumatic!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now