Talk

Advanced search

So the VBAC pressure begins already!

(8 Posts)
PseudoBadger Sat 03-Nov-12 22:11:33

Had my booking appointment today (8 weeks). I didn't intend to discuss birth options for dc2 this early, but as soon as the midwife discovered that I'd had an emcs with DS she immediately started pushing the discussion towards VBAC.

I'm pretty certain that I want an elcs as the recovery after an emcs after a 40 hour induced labour was awful. I lost lots of blood and had a transfusion. I'm very worried that if I try a VBAC I'll end up with another emcs and be worn out again. I really don't have the VBAC frame of mind.

The midwife kept saying that because I dilated to 10cms then it'll more than likely be fine. Never mind that DS never descended beyond -2 station even after 3 hours of pushing!

I'm dreading having to defend myself at every appointment and it's so early on sad

Panzee Sat 03-Nov-12 22:21:40

Oh that's awful. But presumably you'll
Be seeing a consultant? I saw one at 20 ish weeks who asked whether I wanted to book an ElCS. I didn't, but he said I could change my mind any time as long as appointments were available. Hopefully the pressure won't last. sad

PseudoBadger Sat 03-Nov-12 23:09:45

Yes consultant care. Hopefully I'll get a sympathetic one!

hhhhhhh Sat 03-Nov-12 23:11:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Meglet Sat 03-Nov-12 23:17:26

I wouldn't worry too much at this stage, just make sure you get to see a consultant and you can tell them.

After DC1's EMCS a midwife told me I should never attempt a natural birth, fine by me! At booking in apt for DC2 the midwife dismissed me when I said I was expecting a planned CS hmm. Obviously when saw my consultant a few weeks later he was greatly relieved I wasn't hoping for a VBAC and we pencilled in the planned CS.

Penny2012 Sun 04-Nov-12 10:31:04

Put your foot down. I am in the same position and will NOT bend. Good luck. Can you get a partner to go and help fight your corner, you shouldn't have to go through this stress on your own xx

wheresmespecs Sun 04-Nov-12 11:03:17

If you know what you want and are well informed, then don't engage with the mw (unless you ask her to record in your notes that you are requesting a CS) - wait til you see a consultant.

Then be absolutely totally clear and firm that you do not want to attempt a Vbac. You may get a consultant who doesn't need persuading anyway, but if not, then stick to your guns. One can be polite but utterly firm.

If you start getting into what happened last time, what might happen next time, the truth is that neither you nor your consultant or mw have a crystal ball, and they cannot guarantee you a good or successful vbac.

Some women are happy to take the risk and see what happens, but if you are not, you need to be totally clear about that. Good luck.

Smooches Sun 04-Nov-12 12:28:56

Stick to your guns and do not waver. When you get your appointment to see the consultant call the number given and say you would like to make sure you are seeing the consultant and NOT the registrar. I have seen two different consultants and have had no trouble with them allowing me a repeat c-sec. As it happens I will have to have one anyway due to complications but I would of been granted one either way. I made sure I was seeing a consultant on my first appointment and not the registrar.
Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now