Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Private room-scented candles?

(18 Posts)
Rowanhart Sat 03-Nov-12 17:48:12

Having a casaerian on Thursday so will be in for three or four days.

I hate the smell of hospitals. Also dont fancy it being baby's first smells either. Wondered whether anyone had taken an oil burner or scented candles in with them?

halloweeneyqueeney Sat 03-Nov-12 17:50:11

the room probably has piped compressed gasses for emergencies so I'd say no, what about some oils in your pillow?

VivaLeBeaver Sat 03-Nov-12 17:54:52

No chance. Fire risk, health and safety would go mad.

Panzee Sat 03-Nov-12 17:54:58

Or oil in a dish of water or on cotton wool?

halloweeneyqueeney Sat 03-Nov-12 17:56:40

The room will be hot anyway so it'll diffuse anyway, you don't need a burner

QTPie Sat 03-Nov-12 18:24:21

No - even in private hospitals these are not allowed (have asked): as previous poster said - "compressed gases"/oxygen etc - fire/explosion risk.

You could dry "oil diffusers" (scented oil bottle with little reeds in), pillow spray etc. however, I honestly don't think thank you want to "overwhelm" the baby's lungs and sense of scent. When I gave birth (also ELCS) we were warned not to wear perfumes or deodorant (both husband and myself): the early days and weeks are when baby is heavily using sense if scent to bond to both of you - perfumes confuse this (as would "room perfumes"). Think this is particularly important with ELCS - when baby doesn't get scraped along your insides on the way out...

To be perfectly honest, you will probably be too busy to notice the smell too much ;)0

stinkinseamonkey Sat 03-Nov-12 19:03:06

QTPie makes a good point, my DS would get REALLY frantically upset if I wore any perfumed body lotions or purfumes, he hated it! he would scream as he tried to feed I'd have to go and shower in un scented stuff then he'd be fine. the baby wants to smell you not chemicals

Rowanhart Sat 03-Nov-12 20:18:10

Wow didn't know about the baby perfume thing. I'd have been flummoxed...

Thanks for the responses. Spray it is...

stinkinseamonkey Sun 04-Nov-12 10:46:19

it might have just been mine??? but I imagine when air first hits your nostrels it is pretty overwhelming anyway without extra over powering chemicals. Purfumes give lots of adults headaches so why not babies I suppose.

I'll have lavender on my pillow to help with labour but hopefully as that's pretty pure and natural it wont bother the baby too much????

rogersmellyonthetelly Mon 05-Nov-12 09:04:52

They won't allow a candle I'm afraid, but if you can find a nice subtle scent that isn't overpowering you could use that. Second what everyone else says about unscented body wash etc, even a bit of deodorant can confuse a newborn with regards to breast feeding, at that stage their main senses are touch and smell, which are very sensitive, much more so than ours.

seabuckthorn Mon 05-Nov-12 14:31:09

I had camomile and lavender in a mug of hot water to help me dilate by my midwife in labour.

xPennyx Thu 08-Nov-12 14:30:49

Maybe a room and linen spray? Body shop do some nice ones!
x

1944girl Thu 08-Nov-12 17:28:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

1944girl Thu 08-Nov-12 17:28:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

justcait Thu 08-Nov-12 19:50:42

You can get electric oil burners (it's a little ceramic thing that you plug in and it heats up) - maybe they would let you have one of those?

justcait Thu 08-Nov-12 19:51:47

Oops just checked the date. You're in hospital now blush I hope it goes well!!

glastocat Thu 08-Nov-12 19:58:29

First baby I take it? smile

Good luck, I expect the smell of the room will be soon forgotten. I do remember the smell of a bunch of flowers making me puke in labour though.

AmberSocks Thu 06-Dec-12 13:27:38

i used candles in the hospital with ds2 and dd1,they said it was fine?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now