Talk

Advanced search

Clary Sage Oil...really?

(9 Posts)
mameulah Sat 03-Nov-12 00:53:39

Has anyone had any experience of using clary sage oil to help relieve pain, or distract them, during labour?

How much did you use? Is a small bottle enough?

ZuleikaD Sat 03-Nov-12 06:06:59

The MW used it to enhance my contractions with DC1 because I'd been in labour for four days and was pretty knackered by the time I was in 'proper' labour. It did help. She used lavender to relax me as well.

cbeebiesatemybrain Sat 03-Nov-12 08:09:42

I used it to try to encourage labour to start. It didn't work for me but I used it in an oil burner, in the bath and rubbed on my bump for a few days and I used less than half of a small bottle. It really stinks and gave me a headache!

MrsHelsBels74 Sat 03-Nov-12 08:25:35

I asked the people in Neal's yard to mix me an oil blend for labour. They wanted to put clary sage in it but I couldn't have it as you have to be careful with clary sage if you have depression (which I have obviously or wouldn't have mentioned it!). So the professionals swear by it.

mameulah Sat 03-Nov-12 09:13:42

Thanks everyone, can anyone recommend anything else then?

happy2bhomely Sat 03-Nov-12 09:20:57

I used a blend of clary sage, patchouli and lavender from 38 weeks. I used it in the bath and rubbed on my bump. Very, very relaxing. I used clary sage and lavender on a dry flannel and breathed it in during the early stages of labour, before switching to gas and air. It was a useful distraction though and I would use it again.

A small bottle would be plenty-it's potent stuff!

cbeebiesatemybrain Sat 03-Nov-12 10:55:30

Op if you pm me your address I will send you my clary sage oil smile

mameulah Sun 04-Nov-12 04:22:30

cbeebiesatemybrain

Thank you so much, that is really kind of you, wish I had seen your post this morning, I bought my own bottle this afternoon. Cheers heaps though!

chezziejo Mon 05-Nov-12 16:12:57

I remember the midwife stuck some under my nose when contractions started flowing down and it did work, Cor they were on top of each other and he was born 20 mins later. I have had history of depression but can't say I noticed anything different after having used it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now