Talk

Advanced search

good experiances of back to back labour pls!

(16 Posts)
mrswee Thu 01-Nov-12 22:44:15

I am 36 weeks pregnant with my second. I have an anterior placenta and my midwife thinks the baby is back to back, which is common for an anterior placenta.
The thing is I have always banked on this labour being much easier than my last. My last baby was back to back and I was in latent stage for almost 6 days then hospital for 36 hrs and finally born with a forceps delivery while preped up for a very last min emergancy CS. She was in a position that meant she just wouldn't have got out by herself

does anyone have stories of good manageable or straight forward back to back births?
I hope to have a water birth in the new birthing centre, I have been working hard doing hypnobirthing sessions so I'd like to hear some positive stories!

thanks!

Haberdashery Thu 01-Nov-12 23:25:48

I had a back to back baby from as soon as they could tell, was really worried about it, laboured at home for about twelve hours, into hospital where I seemed to be in transition in the reception area (mainly spent the time in the loo throwing up and pooing), baby three hours later. She'd turned in labour somehow, despite being definitely back to back a few days earlier. I used a TENS at home which seemed to do bugger all, had gas and air in hospital, nothing else. It was all v straightforward and manageable. The pain was bearable. DD was fine, though I did have a long pushing stage which was v tiring for her and me! Hope it works out OK for you.

PickleSarnie Fri 02-Nov-12 08:56:17

My first was back to back. Contractions for about four days, waters broke but still wasn't progressing. Had epidural and syntocin. Nearly needed ventouse to get him out. Fairly crappy overall.

DS2 also back to back. Had a few hours of manageable contractions. Waters broke, about half an hour more of contractions then 4 pushes and no pain relief he was born at home (planned!) . Was lovely and easy in comparison.

So not all back to back labours are horrendous!

5madthings Fri 02-Nov-12 09:01:26

my 5th baby was back to back, i was induced, also had an anerior placenta! anyway i ended up on the syntocin drip but i still managed an active labour on all fours, birth ball and used gas and air, labour was three hours and only a few pushes and she was out smile the midwife said had she not been back to back she would have shot out! so it can be fine smile

it was more painful than my other labours but was manageable smile

ZuleikaD Fri 02-Nov-12 10:23:20

Both mine were back to back. First time I was in labour for four days until contractions finally went down to every 5 mins, then all night. Gas and air worked wonders. MW was incredibly supportive and found a position for me where DD turned enough to be born vaginally (on my right side with my left leg propped on the MW's neck).

DS was in labour all night but generally born much quicker. MW said that if he hadn't been back to back he'd have been born hours previously.

Am pg with DC3 and assuming he will also be back to back.

nextphase Fri 02-Nov-12 10:31:24

First baby, back to back.
10 hours from first contraction to baby out. 2 hours of "established" labour - ie from 5cm.
Zero pain relief (I threw up the paracetamol 5 secs after taking at home, and didn't get round to asking for gas and air).
He didn't turn on the way out, but no problems here (infact DS2 caused more damage, and he was the right way up, but porbably due to speed)

carrielou2007 Fri 02-Nov-12 11:13:04

Dd's birth just like your, wax induced though, anterior placenta, back to back, prep for a c section but got her out face up with forceps. Ds induced, anterior placenta, hurt like a b*****d as no pain relief on induction ward angry he shot out face up in just over three hours.

Number three also had anterior placenta but have to have c section dud to diff medical condition this time sad

carrielou2007 Fri 02-Nov-12 11:15:34

Meant to say that after dd'z birth I was dreading ds and whilst the pain was awful at the time his birth was positive, I can't explain it but it sort of drew a kind under everything and glad would never hzve to do it again but in z good way. That wax until I fell with this one grin

Stumbleine Fri 02-Nov-12 11:23:55

After my first two dc being back to back and having pretty gruelling labours and births, I feared the worst when third dc had an anterior placenta and spent most of the.pregnancy lying posteriorly.

Well I gave birth four days ago and it was lightening fast and the most wonderful natural experience I could have hoped for! This despite my fears about her position has restored my faith that every birth really is unique. Good luck.

YoullScreamAboutItOneDay Fri 02-Nov-12 12:27:04

First labour was very like yours (a wee bit shorter, but still days and days). Forceps too. Back to back.

Second DD was probably back to back. Was at home and no exams, so not confirmed, but felt exactly the same. What budged her were inversions during a contraction - have a look on Spinning Babies. Was excrutiating whilst I did it, but from then on labour didn't even hurt and it was lightning quick. Born at home, in the pool.

beingginger Fri 02-Nov-12 12:58:30

i had a back to back with dc3.
he was born at home with just gas and air and a 6 hour labour.

NAR4 Fri 02-Nov-12 16:04:49

All 4 of mine were back to back and only the 4th one turned to come out. Long labours on the whole but all were fine and came out alright in the end. Back to back labours are not always worse, so don't panic about it.

Just think of the beautiful baby you're going to get at the end.

PointyDogs Fri 02-Nov-12 17:11:40

First (and only) labour, same as you, anterior placenta and baby turned back to back at 36 weeks. I went for a sweep at 41 weeks and was already 3 cms dilated, two and a half days later had my first noticeable contraction. Long story short, DD was born the right way up 6 hours after that first contraction having turned at some point during the labour while I was in the pool. The waters also broke while in there (no idea when, we didn't notice!). G&A used throughout. Some complications at the actual birth, but she is fine now. Hope yours goes as quickly and relatively easily as mine!

greenhill Fri 02-Nov-12 17:42:59

My DD was back to back, I'd had contractions from 10.30 pm and gave birth at 11.30 am after 2 hours pushing. I only went to hospital once I'd passed the amniotic sac, so was fully dilated and didn't need pain relief. The midwife only realised my DD was back to back when she didn't pop out when she'd cut the amniotic sac. I needed an episiotomy, the first local anaesthetic injection afterwards for the internal and external stitches was the most painful part of the whole experience.

I'd read Sheila Kitzinger's Rediscovering Birth and found the breathing exercises and positions very helpful, I'd rocked on all fours and felt surprisingly relaxed as I was in the zone and each time the tempo changed, I could match the intensity needed. I had a lovely midwife too.

In contrast, my DS took 2 or 3 pushes and came out easily and again I didn't need any pain relief, but I tore and needed stitches again.

Good luck.

exexpat Fri 02-Nov-12 17:54:52

The fact that it's your second baby should make it easier. Mine were both back-to-back, both over 4kg.

DC1 took 24hrs+, but DC2 was more like 8-9 hours. I think it also helped that I was much more upright and mobile in the second labour (I refused continual monitoring, which had kept me flat on my back first time round).

InherentlyCantankerous Fri 02-Nov-12 20:21:57

All 3 of mine were back to back - I won't tell you my 1st back to back labour story, but 2 and 3 were fantastic! One water birth, one on a bed but both without pain relief.

My 1st couple of contractions with No3 started off exactly the same as with my No1 and I panicked, I jumped on my birthing ball and managed to shift the baby or something because my contractions changed from the awful, never ending back and leg pain like my 1st labour, round to the front and they became manageable.

Good luck - I'm sure it'll be fine!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now