Talk

Advanced search

Local hospital consultation - should I transfer?

(7 Posts)
philbee Tue 30-Oct-12 17:13:16

I'm 16wks pg, and booked in at the local hospital, hoping to go to their birth centre.

Today I found out that there are recommendations to close some or all of the maternity services (can't work out if it includes the birth centre, waiting for clarification). Public consultation, recommendations in Feb, changes over 3 yrs. I'm due in April. So it will prob still be open when I come to give birth, but staff probably looking for other jobs, morale low etc.

There is another hospital a bit further away that I could transfer to. No standalone birth centre but v good reputation for maternity services. We don't have a car, but would have to get a taxi to either tbh as I wouldn't be up to walking to the local one either. If I transferred I couldn't have a home birth, but I'm not keen anyway.

Should I transfer or stick it out where I am not knowing what's going to happen?

lindsell Tue 30-Oct-12 17:25:45

Are you in lewisham by any chance? If not then something v similar is proposed here. I'd check with your mw how late you can leave transferring but I think it's highly unlikely that anything would be closed by April and if it is lewisham you're talking about the birth centre is only 3 years old so hopefully they won't close it. I had ds2 there in may and it was great smile

lindsell Tue 30-Oct-12 17:25:48

Are you in lewisham by any chance? If not then something v similar is proposed here. I'd check with your mw how late you can leave transferring but I think it's highly unlikely that anything would be closed by April and if it is lewisham you're talking about the birth centre is only 3 years old so hopefully they won't close it. I had ds2 there in may and it was great smile

lindsell Tue 30-Oct-12 17:26:45

Sorry for double post - ds2 is 'helping'

philbee Tue 30-Oct-12 19:14:18

Yes I am! grin I know it will prob still be there, but am worried that it will stress me that its not being announced until Feb and also that staff might leave or there might be temp staff by the time I have to go. I'd be transferring to King's. DH and my mum think I should transfer. Not sure why I'm not convinced really, I guess convenience and that fact that King's are less well equipped in terms of midwife led facilities.

lindsell Tue 30-Oct-12 21:06:49

Have you looked at guys and st Thomas instead of kings? Friends who went there had good experiences and I think they have a midwife led birth centre too.

I'm very much hoping the lewisham proposals don't go ahead - particularly getting rid of the a&e & maternity is just ridiculous - they are both oversubscribed and v busy as it is.

philbee Tue 30-Oct-12 21:49:55

I had DD at st Thomas actually, we lives nearer then. It's just too far now though because we don't have a car. DH does drive but he's not always confident and I think would feel under pressure if we borrowed one. I had a very good experience of the birth centre at st Thomas but antenatal care was patchy and postnatal very poor, so don't feel it was so amazing it would be worth worrying about the journey for. I don't know how to decide really. I don't know that Kings would be that much better than Lewisham, but at least it would be there!

I hope the proposals don't go ahead either. I can't see how it makes sense at all. Will do the consultation response and go to a meeting. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now