Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone pleeease give me a clue. How long now?

(11 Posts)
mameulah Tue 30-Oct-12 16:39:02

So, we found out this morning that the baby's head is engaged. I have a new sensation that feels like the baby is standing and pushing down on my groin, it feels a bit uncomfortable. We have two weeks to go before our due date. Does it sound like the baby we will meet our baby soon or do you think we still have a long haul ahead of us?

Just wondering...thx!

NumptyDumty Tue 30-Oct-12 16:45:00

You will meet your baby soon enough, but just because it is engaged doesnt mean it will be any sooner than your due date. Unfortunately I was fully engaged at 36 weeks but still ended up getting induced at 42. Every woman's body and every baby is different, there going to arrive soon enough so enjoy the last few weeks go and have a bath in peace it will be a loooooong time before you can again

NumptyDumty Tue 30-Oct-12 16:45:48

But there definitely on there way so good luck x

cravingcake Tue 30-Oct-12 17:24:42

You may have a long haul ahead, but you may not. Generally baby's head being engaged is not much of a sign on its own, but if you have had a show (globby jelly-like goo) and have eaten 10 tonnes of pineapple, drunk gallons of raspberry leaf tea, dined on spicy curry every evening and every other old wives tale then things may be about to happen grin.

My waters broke as a slow trickle at 38 weeks and I was 3/5 engaged (I think). No matter what your baby will be here soon enough, and I agree with NumptyDumty about enjoying a bath in the peace & quiet

mameulah Tue 30-Oct-12 17:54:16

Numpty, LOVE the bath idea.

Craving, if the midwife said she could feel 4/5th of the baby's head does that mean I am 4/5th engaged?

Thx!

cravingcake Tue 30-Oct-12 19:38:39

I'm no expert and hope I'm wrong but I think 4/5 means that only 1/5 is 'down' and engaged as such and 4/5 is still up and what the midwife could feel.

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 30-Oct-12 19:42:37

I'm guessing that the baby has a 100% chance of being born on his/her birthday!

hth grin

confuddledDOTcom Tue 30-Oct-12 20:29:11

Unfortunately none of it necessarily means a lot, other than watch out for other signs and be ready to go to hospital (or call MW, whatever the plan is) when the time is right.

If nothing happens soon it's likely that you'll have a fast birth because you're doing all the work early.

mameulah Tue 30-Oct-12 20:33:05

confuddled

If we are in for a fast birth then I am more than happy to keep being patient!

Chunkychicken Tue 30-Oct-12 22:59:35

If its your first, baby can engage weeks before birth, whereas #2 usually doesn't engage until you're in labour.

However, my DD and my current pg are contradictions to this...

DD was 4/5 palpable (i.e starting to engage) exactly a week before I went into labour, and was born at 39+3. It was roughly 12hrs from show to baby, with no real BH or other warning signs or warm-ups.

This baby was 4/5 last Tuesday, 2/5 palpable (so technically classed as engaged) today but there is no definite sign of him/her showing up yet (I'm 37wks). Getting lots of twinges and definite BH but nothing happening!!

At my pregnancy relaxation/yoga class tonight, the teacher read a story to put each contraction in perspective. However, its relevant to waiting for baby: essentially, take each day as it comes, as one small part of a longer journey but don't focus on the journey, otherwise it will seem never ending. Baby will arrive when they are good and ready, nothing you do will make it happen to suit you.

Enjoy the wait and the anticipation and good luck with your baby.

mameulah Tue 30-Oct-12 23:09:07

Chunkychicken

Thank you, it is really thoughtful of you to share that story. I am just so excited to meet our baby and being patient is hugely overrated!

I hope everything goes well for you.

x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now