Talk

Advanced search

Doing it on your own - well, with a midwife but no one else

(8 Posts)
EdsRedeemingQualities Tue 30-Oct-12 08:59:24

I've not done this before. Last time I had a close friend with me, also another friend, the midwife of course - even the postman turned up when I was in transition. He didn't stay though poor chap grin as I was mid scream when someone opened the door.

This time I will be on my own, properly. I've several friends/acquaintances who have offered to take my children away when labour begins, also my parents are half an hour away and they are happy to take the other DC, if necessary they'll pick them up from a friend who is closer by, once they can get here.

But I haven't anyone to be with me during the birth, and I'm not sure how that will feel.

Has anyone else done this? I am a bit worried about it this time as I know how much it hurts - no pain relief with ds2 - and I'm told it's likely to be fast again (he took 3.5 hours from start to finish).

I just thought I'd ask for experiences, see what other people did, how they felt giving birth alone with just a midwife there.

(been advised by MW to stay at home, as transfer takes 30+ minutes and obviously I can't drive in labour)

Thankyou x

ZombieArmsDragOnTheFloor Tue 30-Oct-12 09:10:29

I had DD at home with just one midwife present. My mother was in the room next room though (dad went home as it was Women's Stuff grin and XH took the DSs away)

It was lovely and calm. Absolutely fine smile

EdsRedeemingQualities Tue 30-Oct-12 09:11:11

Oh that is exactly what I needed to hear smile

Thankyou

ZombieArmsDragOnTheFloor Tue 30-Oct-12 09:49:47

In a way, I think it was better because I didn't have to worry about anyone else IYSWIM - it was just me and a midwife. No one else cluttering up the space and trying to be helpful smile

ZombieArmsDragOnTheFloor Tue 30-Oct-12 09:51:46

The second midwife (and a student) didn't make it in time for the birth but one of them would have been able to take care of DD whilst I was being seen to afterwards if my mum hadn't been there to cuddle her smile

FlobbadobbaBOO Tue 30-Oct-12 12:46:33

DH turned up too late to be there with my second, in between getting DS to his grandparents, driving 6 miles to the hospital (i had been admitted earlier in the day) and getting through Fort Knox style security it was all done & dusted by the time he got there!
I was fine, didn't have to worry about anyone else and felt quite relaxed for the most part. grin

AbbyRue Tue 30-Oct-12 21:13:52

I may be in this position anytime soon! DH may have to take me to the hospital first before dropping kids off at friends if things move fast gringrin and I'm actually am ok with giving birth on my own though

Best wishes smile

NAR4 Wed 31-Oct-12 15:50:34

Reading this thread with interest because I am considering having noone at the birth this time. Youngest child just screams if left with anyone else and only 3 months left now until my due date. I have very long labours (4th was 38 hours) so hate the idea of my youngest screaming hysterically for that long because she has been left with someone else. Prob will be in hospital the whole time as well becuase I had to be induced with all my others. If youngest isn't better with other people I was going to get huby to just drop me off at the labour ward and go home to look after the others. Not sure though how I will feel being alone, even though hubby only sits quietly in the corner (and thats all I want him to do) when he is there.

Hope it goes well for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now