Talk

Advanced search

Best friend 34 weeks & had a 'show'

(19 Posts)
pumpkinsweetie Sat 27-Oct-12 15:34:21

My Bf who i'm gladly going to be birthing partner for has had her bloody show.
She has seen her midwife whom has told her if baby is to be born now she will be able to take he or she home not long after birth.....I think she's been spun a lie tbh as 34 weeks is still very early and i'm worried she is going to be very shocked that baby will have to stay in.
How long after the bloody show (pre-term) has any of you mnetters went into labour and how were your babys, ie how long was it before you were able to take them home?
Very worried friend here, especially as she under a lot of stress aswell now!
Midwife told her now she's had show, she could labour at anytime from now or in next 3 weeks-midwife also said atmost baby will only stay in until beginning of Nov.
I'm hoping baby stays in as long as possible, but she wants he or she as soon as because she thinks everything is going to be fine.
Is she right?

fanoftheinvisibleman Sat 27-Oct-12 15:39:52

I have no personal experience but I have known 2 people over the years who's babies were born at 34 weeks and both were out within a week. I hope all goes well for your friend.

pumpkinsweetie Sat 27-Oct-12 15:44:14

Thankyou fan x

Bryzoan Sat 27-Oct-12 17:04:12

Our daughter was born at 34 weeks - and we had to stay a month. She had some blood sugar probs and difficulty feeding. Most people I've met who had dc around the same gestation were out in a couple of weeks. I would reassure your friend that it would not be the end of the world to have the baby now... But she should at least be prepared for the possibility of a longer stay - I was quite shocked by it. If the baby does need a stay in Nicu, the charity 'bliss' do a great booklet which would be very helpful - I only got a copy at the end of our stay and would have found it v useful from the start. Best wishes to you and your friend - i hope the any hangs on a bit and all goes well.

Bryzoan Sat 27-Oct-12 17:05:42

Silly iPhone - I hope the baby hangs on a bit...

harrygracejessica Sat 27-Oct-12 17:10:16

I had a show with my boy twins at 33 weeks and still clung on to them to nearly 37 weeks - was having contractions on and off from 29 weeks too.

Had twins at 33 weeks and they only needed 20 days in scbu and the boys at almost 37 weeks, one was fine and one was in scbu so it really does depend on the baby not the gestation.

HauntedLittleLunatic Sat 27-Oct-12 17:12:51

I know someone that had a baby at 34+something and was out within a week.

When I was on nicu a mother had triplets at 33+something and they were all home within 3 weeks. One of them only had 1 night it scbu. The nursing staff were shocked at them tho.

It is possible that she will be our very quickly but I would say she would be unlucky to be in more than 3weeks (the 'rules' are normally expect to be until due date but the later they are born the earlier they go home.

LunaticFringe Sat 27-Oct-12 17:20:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GlaikitFizZombie Sat 27-Oct-12 17:23:08

My friend had her ds at 35 weeks and was out within the week.

pumpkinsweetie Sat 27-Oct-12 17:39:38

Very reassuring, thankyou everyone x

LonelyCloud Sat 27-Oct-12 23:24:19

Hope all goes well with your friend, and baby stays put a bit longer.

My waters broke at 33 weeks, and DS was born a week later at 34 weeks - he was in SCBU for 3 and a half weeks. He needed help breathing at first (lungs not fully developed despite me having had the steroid injections), and it took us a while to get feeding established.

Some babies do get to go home very soon, but your friend should be prepared for the possibility that her baby might need to be in hospital for a bit longer than a few days.

BionicEmu Sun 28-Oct-12 10:17:36

I had a show at 33 weeks and DS was born at 34 weeks. I'd been in hospital since the show as I'd been having contractions, so they'd given me the steroid injections. DS had no problems breathing and came onto the normal post-natal ward with me, and we.were discharged at 2 days old.

However, he was re-admitted at a week old as he had lost a lot of weight (was 6lb 3oz at birth, down to 4lb 12oz at a week old). It was then discovered that he had no sucking reflex so he was then tube-fed for 2 weeks.

I still feel awful that I had basically starved my poor baby for the first week, but he was my first and I had no idea that the way he was behaving wasn't normal.

Good luck to your friend though!

Hidethecrisps Sun 28-Oct-12 13:28:05

My daughter was born at 34+ weeks and we were out within 3 days, and she was at my bedside the whole time in a normal crib. She had a bit of jaundice and they wanted to keep an eye on her but actually they didn't need to do anything in the end. I had a bleed at 30 weeks and they gave me steroids to mature her lungs in case she was early, I think this really helped. If your friends baby is almost certainly going to be early she could ask the midwife about the steroids? As bionic says my little one had a poor sucking reflex too and I didn't realise she wasn't getting much milk. Perhaps your friend should be prepared that she might need to syringe or beaker feed in combination with however she plans to feed too, doesn't necessarily need to be a big problem just something for her to keep an eye on. Good luck to her!

TwelveLeggedWalk Sun 28-Oct-12 13:33:04

Has she been to her maternity unit?she should ask about steroids for the babies lungs and possible medication to delay labour for her. I personally wouldn't be relying on a community midwife at this stage (had 30 weekers myself)

pumpkinsweetie Sun 28-Oct-12 13:45:08

smile so far she has had no pains.
I'm hoping baby holds on a little longer for her.

TwelveLeggedWalk Sun 28-Oct-12 13:55:02

That's great, but steroids can be given well before labour starts (I had them at 24 weeks). Also there are 2 doses so it's good to get the first one in! Wishing her all the luck and hope baby doesn't come for aaaaages!

HauntedLittleLunatic Sun 28-Oct-12 21:39:01

Steroids aren't usually necessary after 32wks (but some give them up to 34wks) so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

TwelveLeggedWalk Sun 28-Oct-12 22:55:05

Interesting Haunted, thunk our trust does it automatically up to 34. Must depend on where you are.

Nuttyprofessor Sun 28-Oct-12 23:22:32

My DD was born at 33 weeks and weighed 7lbs 4 Ozs and had no problems at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now