Talk

Advanced search

If you had a CS once do you have to have one subsequently?

(8 Posts)
TheOnlyPersonInTheRoom Sat 27-Oct-12 14:49:06

Probably a stupid question but something I am wondering. I had to have a CS for DD because she wouldn't turn and they thought I had a heart shaped womb or something <3 confused but it seemed like they were guessing a bit grin

I just wondered if I'd have to have a CS a second time even if the baby turned now they've ventured in that way so to speak.

ivykaty44 Sat 27-Oct-12 14:53:04

vbac is possible plenty of people do have them - I had one smile

I was given the choice

imtheonlyone Sat 27-Oct-12 14:56:56

Of course you can have a natural birth - many many women do!! If you are not keen on having another CS please do not let them tell you 'have' to have one!! You have the right I a vbac - they may even call it 'trial of labour' - they try to make it sound as unlikely as possible but you have every right to fight for what YOU want!!

Good luck!!

Lavenderhoney Sat 27-Oct-12 15:09:08

Yes, you can, my sil did and recovered much faster. Her first was emcs as cord was round baby's neck and there was a massive panic.

I had 2, as I had a big 5kg baby first time with emcs - supposed to be all water but turned out to be all baby plus other complications. Had 2nd cs as advised by dr as another big baby and he was concerned after scans my womb where the cs scar might split in contractions and I would end up emcs after hours of labour. recovery was quick mind you, 2nd time.

Your consultant shold be able to help with risks versus recovery etc.

MommyVan Sat 27-Oct-12 15:23:08

Hi perfectly possible if it's what you want, and medically there is no reason not to. DC1 was EMCS due to foetal distress (all fine in the end), and I went on to have DC2&3 the normal way. Good luck!

wheresmespecs Sun 28-Oct-12 10:45:22

Not necessarily at all - but you would want to know as much as you could about why you had one the first time round and talk to mws and consultants about what to bear in mind for a second birth.

Individual hospitals do vary a lot in terms of policy (pro VBAC, or pro repeat CS). They also tend to be more restrictive in terms of what sort of birth you can have if you attempt a vaginal birth after caesarian (more monitoring, no waterbirth etc) although some mothers do challenge this successfully.

People tend to be vocal about risks associated with a CS but there are risks associated with a VBAC - in particular uterine rupture, which is very dangerous - and although it is a small risk, there is a higher risk of the baby dying during a VBAC than a repeat CS.

it also depends on your indidvidual circumstances - if you are planning a large family or not, and also your individual health. Some women are better candidates for surgery than others (a high bmi isn't great for example)

As always, the answer is, do as much research as you can....

hzgreen Mon 29-Oct-12 08:52:36

Hi Only, you are entitled to try for a VBAC if that's what you want but i agree with others who suggest that you find out everything you can both about the reason for your first CS and about VBAC in general.

I am aiming to try for a VBAC and have successfully negotiated a spot in the low risk birth centre with mobile monitoring, no time limits on labour (as long as the baby and i are ok), no canular unless necessary and use of the pool if it's available. i am lucky to have a supportive midwifery team who helped me negotiate with the consultant who was horrified when i threatened a homebirth (i think this essentially was what got my list of demands met!).

i found this book very useful as a starting point for the research and information i used in trying to secure what i wanted and being realistically informed about risks. i hope this helps and good luck with whatever you decide.

www.amazon.co.uk/Vaginal-Birth-After-Caesarean-Handbook/dp/1905177240/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351500313&sr=8-1

PS. if the bloody baby doesn't come soon i'll be induced and virtually all of the above will go out of the window (will still insist on mobile monitor though!!) 40+3 and counting :/

mawbroon Tue 30-Oct-12 14:47:16

Wow! Same as me. I have a bicornuate (heart shaped) uterus and ds1 couldn't turn and he got completely stuck in the breech position. They told me about the womb shape after my CS where they would have been able to see it clearly.

When it came to having ds2, I was warned that my bicornuate uterus was a rupture risk, as well as having had a previous CS. Also that sometimes the two halves of the womb might not be able to co-ordinate to contract effectively.

In the end, ds2 turned head down and despite the heart shaped uterus, I had a vbac.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now