Talk

Advanced search

Second Induction

(11 Posts)
waitingimpatiently Thu 25-Oct-12 14:46:40

Been to the midwife today for my third sweep at 39 weeks (baby measuring about 41). My cervix has changed minimally since my first sweep and I have an appointment with my consultant next Wednesday for an induction date.

My absolute worst nightmare, I do not want to be induced again, but if I have to be, which im suspecting I do, does anyone have any experiences of two inductions?? Was it longer / shorter / more / less painful etc.
Tearing my hair out here, please advise!!
Thanks

yellowsubmarine53 Thu 25-Oct-12 14:55:29

Sorry that you're so stressed.

I've had 3 inductions, and the labours became shorter. Either a drug or pessaries were used and my waters were broken in the second one to speed things along. I managed fine with no pain relief or tearing. I think it's the artificial hormone drip syncotocin? which makes labour accelerate painfully.

Subsequent labours generally are quicker, although it depends on the reasons for induction and your particular circumstances eg baby's position. DC3 was less than 3 hours from 'oh, I just felt a twinge' to one of the midwives panicking that she wasn't going to get her gloves on in time to catch the baby.

I chose my inductions, which makes a mental difference of course.

You know that you don't have to be induced, I guess? Hope whatever you decide to do goes well.

carrielou2007 Thu 25-Oct-12 19:41:49

My second induction I was dreading it, very long drawn out with dd, for eps, second, peasary st about 3pm, 4.30pm thinking defo feeling something, 6pm rolling around screaming blue murder but 'only 4cm'. Found pushing at 7.20pm by spluttering midwife who came in to tell me to stop making so much noise, ds shot out 15 mins later. Much quicker, yes hurt like hell again, though hoping not to be induced this time too bug bound to!!

StrangerintheNight Thu 25-Oct-12 22:57:47

Although I didn't want another induction the 2nd time was a much quicker, easier, more positive experience, like most second labours seem to be. Try not to psych yourself out before you even know if it's necessary smile

Heavensmells Thu 25-Oct-12 23:03:48

First induction took 3 days!

The second time had pessaries at 9am, contractions started 5.10pm ds2 born at 7.13pm.

5madthings Thu 25-Oct-12 23:08:11

All five of mine were induced and no 2 took 7hrs all in. Laboured in the bath and with gas and air, delivered kneeling up smile

No 3 took 3 hours, bath, gas and air and kneelin up.

No 4 took one hr! Had him in birthing pool with gas and air.

No 5 took 3hrs, she was back to back and i ended up with the syntocin drip but still kept mobile and used gas and air.

I cant have the gel as am allergic to it so they break my waters to start labour, worked fine for all except no 5 and am pretty sure that was because she was back to back.

My first took three days and was a nightmare! but the next four were fine smile hth

Btw you dont have to be induced witj no 2 and 3 i opted for expectant management, but once i got to almost three wks overdue i was fed up and opted for induction!

Midgetm Fri 26-Oct-12 19:37:18

First induction about 12 hours, epidural, no intervention but problems post delivery (nit related to induction).

2nd induction just needed ARM 5 hours from waters to delivery. Needed ventouse as baby had turned and was distressed. Just gas and air. Much easier right up to the ventouse bit....

RandomMess Fri 26-Oct-12 19:41:14

First induction was erm, 40 hours.

2nd was 10 hours

smile

shinyblackgrape Fri 26-Oct-12 20:46:55

Why are yiu being induced if you're only 39 weeks? Is it due to baby's size? What are the risks of not being induced and are there any benefits/alternatives?

Sorry if these are all thick,questions but I would want the consultant to be giving me some clear answers

shinyblackgrape Fri 26-Oct-12 20:48:30

Sorry! See the induction is next week. However, you would only be 40 weeks then. Won't they allow you to go to 40 plus 10?

waitingimpatiently Sat 27-Oct-12 09:25:34

They have said that because he is measuring large for dates that they don't want me to go over loads so probably wouldn't advise +10.
I am worried about him though as his dad was a c section baby because he got stuck as his head was too big so im panicking that he is taking after his dad (who doesn't really have a massive head now haha!!)
But, from the sounds of it (?), im looking at slightly easier induction if it so happens, plus my family history tends to be rubbish first, 25 minute second labours so I might be in luck! Thanks guys for your help!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now