Talk

Advanced search

Balloon induction

(10 Posts)
RJandA Thu 25-Oct-12 14:20:43

Hi there

Does anyone have any experience of being induced by cervical ripening balloon? I'm hoping for a VBAC and have been told my hospital won't induce with drugs, so sweeps and balloons seem to be my only options if I go overdue - and a repeat C-section if that doesn't work.

Any experience at all would be useful, even if you were offered it and decided against it as it's not something I've heard of before and don't know much about the pros and cons.

Thanks!

mmmmsleep Sat 27-Oct-12 23:40:55

Hi my friend in oz was induced that way..seems more common there. Much nicer than my syntocinon induction which i wouldn't have again.

5madthings Sat 27-Oct-12 23:51:23

never heard of it and i have been induced five times, i am allergic to the prostin gel so i have to have my waters broken each time.

anway a quick google and tbh it doesnt sound very nice, painful to get it put in and obviously as it stretches the cervix that causes pain, i am assuming they will offer you pain relief tho. a few women said it was painful whne it was taken out as well.

where are you? ihavent heard of it being available in the uk.

5madthings Sat 27-Oct-12 23:52:26

oh and it seems that the women that had this method often still ended up with the synotcinon. so i guess if it got to that point ie needing synotcin as well you would then end up with a c section as they wont want to give you the syntocin due to previous c section?

5madthings Sat 27-Oct-12 23:55:25

there is another thread on this on mnet with a few answers, i cant c&p but if you search it should come up smile

RJandA Thu 01-Nov-12 08:53:42

Thanks , I am in Lewisham and they won't induce with drugs due to previous c-section. As I understood it the balloon sits inside the uterus and puts pressure on the cervix in the same way the baby's head would rather than actually stretching it out but I will check with the midwife. My options if I go overdue are pretty limited, just sweeps and this procedure so if it gets to that point and I don't try it then I will have to have another section anyway.

ladytiredwinterbottom Thu 01-Nov-12 14:58:44

Interesting, l am in Kent and am booked in for an induction on Mon. Hoping for VBAC too, but they are happy to take the conventional route, just more limited on the amount of time they will try before c-section.

5madthings Thu 01-Nov-12 15:06:01

yes its got to be worth a try, i would opt for anything rather than a c section myself, hopefully the sweeps will help things along.

its interesting how much policies vary from hospital to hospital.

good luck rj and ladytired smile

RJandA Thu 01-Nov-12 17:15:51

Thanks. I can't find that other thread you mentioned, what search terms did you use? All I get is posts about people ballooning in late pregnancy!

5madthings Thu 01-Nov-12 17:30:41

i googlef balloon method induction and it came up on there. are you using mnet search? i would specify thread titles and maybe put ballon method induction? cant remember the thread title and am on my phone now so cant find it and link.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now