Talk

Advanced search

Couple of questions re doula

(4 Posts)
shinyblackgrape Thu 25-Oct-12 13:55:17

We are expecting first DC on 24 November.

We are learning hypnobirthing and hoping to have a water birth in a MLU.

To let DH concentrate on the hypnobirthing and give us a bit of support as it is DC1. We have a meeting with a possible candidate next week and I just wanted to check what is reasonable.

I want to stay at home as long as possible and DH are really keen not to go in too early as will be v depressing to be turned away at 1cm. On the other hand, DH doesn't want an emergency home birth at home! Will the doula come to the house or just meet us at the hospital? I don't need someone there from the first twinge. But DH would like some support/advice as to when to go to the hospital.

Separately, I understand the role of a doula. However, what will the midwives' view be? I don't want there to be any sort of frisson or upset if we turn up with a doula. On the other hand, part of the reason we are having one is my ante natal care has been quite shit!

shinyblackgrape Thu 25-Oct-12 13:56:13

Sorry - that should say "To let DH concentrate on the hypnobirthing and give us a bit of support as it is DC1, we have decided to hire a doula"

AliceHurled Thu 25-Oct-12 16:14:36

My doula came when I wanted her to and gave advice re when to transfer. She was with me at home for a while then hospital too.

It does depend on the doula/MW. The doula is there for you rather than the baby which is a key diff. If your MW's approach is different to yours eg medical/ not medical then there might be friction although a good doula will be aware and manage that. Mine worked together with the MW as I had good MWs who worked with my birth plan.

exBrightonBell Thu 25-Oct-12 21:26:51

Every midwife I saw kept mistaking my doula for being my mum, and eventually I gave up correcting them! Seriously though, I was induced over a long period of time (5 days!) - I kept in contact with the doula via text, and she came in when my waters had broken and there was a definite timescale towards delivery. The midwives did not mind at all and worked well with her, and I really felt it was a valuable thing to have done. HTH.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now