Talk

Advanced search

Water births-advice, eperience and help for DH.

(16 Posts)
sleepyhead1234 Tue 23-Oct-12 22:39:14

DC2 is due in Dec and i'm thinking i like the sound of a water birth.

From what i've read water is very soothing and helps with contraction pain so if i can i'd like one. My problem however is DH saying he doesn't want to be present if i'm in the water as he thinks it will be disgusting and bloody more so than on a bed! He says it's hard enough watching me in pain and really doesn't like the idea?!?

I know it's me who will be in labour but i want it to be a special experience for him to like when DD1 was born.

Anyone got any advice for him or me?

kdiddy Tue 23-Oct-12 22:54:59

Well I've only given birth in a pool, so can't compare to a bed, but my DH had the same worries beforehand - think he was concerned about seeing (shock horror) poo!

Anyway until my waters broke at 9cm (after 3 or so hours in the pool) the water was just like a bath. I felt my waters go; they were just cloudy with a slight pink tinge but not bad at all. After I'd given birth I was expecting it to look like a massacre but actually the water wasn't bad at all, and I only know what it looked like from a photo DH took of me and DS in the pool. I don't think either of us actually noticed at the time because we were too distracted by the baby to look at the mess in the water. Really - it was totally fine. And no poo (although I hadn't eaten for 24hrs before which was probably something to do with that).

Tell your DH to get a grip and realise that birth is bloody and messy whichever way you do it. He has a great opportunity to be hugely supportive to you in your choices and if you do have a water birth he can be really active in helping you. If he doesn't like you in pain or discomfort, has it occurred to him you might be in less pain in the water?

scarlettsmummy2 Tue 23-Oct-12 22:58:23

I've given birth on the floor and in a pool. The floor was ten times bloodier, I didn't even notice blood in the birthing pool! It is lovely and my husband said it was a much less stressful experience to watch too.

sleepyhead1234 Wed 24-Oct-12 11:45:59

Thanks everyone will keep working on him wink. Might compromise and start in the pool till i'm ready to push.

BlueChampagne Wed 24-Oct-12 13:22:09

Like Scarlettsmummy2 I've done 1 pool and 1 floor, and totally agree. Make sure he's got jobs to do, like feeding you G&A (if required) or food and drink, putting music on. Tell him it's likely to be quicker with DC2 anyway.

whatsonyourplate Wed 24-Oct-12 15:11:23

I've just had a water birth (on Sunday!) after two 'dry land' births, and DP def thinks the water birth was less 'yucky', the water didn't look gory at all when I got out (although the midwife had been at work with the poo catching sieve blush ). Also baby is much cleaner rather than being covered in blood etc.
You have to get out to deliver the placenta but the midwife caught it and associated blood in a cardboard bowl, so not too messy.
Oh, and it def helped, I was able to get into a better position (kneeling up leaning over the edge of the pool) and DD was born within 20 mins of getting in the pool, having been 5cm less than half an hour before.

Bearhugs43 Wed 24-Oct-12 18:04:03

Had dc4 at home in water midnight last night (before anyone arrived but that's another story!) Dc2 and 3 were also waterbabies (once you've felt the pain relief you can't go back!)
My top tip would be to get on you tube and seek out some lovely waterbirths to watch :-) good luck x

chipsandmushypeas Wed 24-Oct-12 18:22:24

To those who had water and land births, what was the pain difference?

ThreeWheelsGood Thu 25-Oct-12 12:40:06

Just a quick reply, I had a water birth this week, it was amazing, I was only 5cm dilated after days of labour, went to fully dilated in a matter of minutes as it was so relaxing and able to get into more comfortable position. There was barely any blood/gunge! My DH loved being able to help from the side, he held the gas and air for me.

BlueChampagne Thu 25-Oct-12 13:37:17

DS2 land birth (+tens) easier than DS1 water birth (+G&A), but much quicker too so that's probably why it seemed easier.

brandysoakedbitch Thu 25-Oct-12 13:44:34

My DH was in the pool with me - he is HARDCORE!

Welovecouscous Thu 25-Oct-12 13:47:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

rogersmellyonthetelly Sun 28-Oct-12 10:41:27

Childbirth is a messy business wherever you do it, but at least in a pool you can let the plug out and it all goes down the drain!

kicker Sun 28-Oct-12 10:59:44

2 terrestrial and 1 water. The water only got gory straight after the birth. Didn't see any poo but I was in the 'zone' so wasn't noticing anything else. Water really helped with the pain and I just had gas and air. It's great being able to get into different positions.
I actually rewatched it a week ago. I amazed how calm the whole thing was compared to the land ones. I delivered her head, waited for the next contraction and she just shot out. It was really special to be the first person to ever touch her, and bring her to the surface into my arms. She was lovely and clean and much calmer.
The only difficult bit was because she had a short umbilical cord I couldn't really lift her clear of the water so I had to get out quickly
Your DH can be kept busy monitoring water temp (I liked it at 35 degrees for labouring and when I was ready to push I turned it up to 37.) It also helps if you have a wonderful midwife who isn't phased by waterbirth.

kicker Sun 28-Oct-12 11:07:14

Pain wise. First labour was very long and at home but I managed on gas and air and got into a rythym and soon after we arrived at the hospital he was born.
Third labour, in hospital, excruciating constant labour pains that I couldn't get a handle on at all so I asked/screamed for an epidural which I got.

NAR4 Mon 29-Oct-12 08:56:59

I fancy a water birth this time and hubby immediately said 'I don't really fancy getting in with you though', which I found highly amusing as I don't either. Couldn't resist showing him Brandysoaked post and teasing him a bit though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now