Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

SPD - how do you roll over in bed?

(17 Posts)
datingthedevil Tue 23-Oct-12 00:13:44

Hi all,

I've got wicked SPD and struggle (under estimate of the year) to roll over in bed.

How do my fellow SPD sufferers manage to roll over? I'm single and have no one to help me sad. It's complete agony.

Thank you x

confuddledDOTcom Tue 23-Oct-12 00:37:54

I have long term PGP, mostly SI pain, I'm fortunate that this hasn't been a problem for me, unless I can't lie on my side anyway. Have you tried lifting your knees up and then using them to lever you over? If you've ever done the recovery position, it's a bit like that.

Have you been to a PGP class? They talk you through different techniques for getting by, usually they're run by a physio who may be able to sort out with a belt or crutches if you need.

Also, have a look on Facebook, there's some lovely support groups.

Runningblue Tue 23-Oct-12 18:46:36

Keeping your knees together, perhaps with a cushion or folder towel,and maintaining that aligned posture when turning helps me.
My SPD favours one side more than another (as in, one side bloody hurts, even more than the other side bloody hurts!) so I tend to lie primarily on the left side, when I need a little break from that side, I then turn to the other
It is bloody difficult tho, and getting worse as the weeks roll on... Now 36wks..

Katienana Tue 23-Oct-12 20:34:02

Moan and groan! It just hurts, there is no way to totally stop it from hurting. But a cushion between your knees will help a little. Sorry.

sleepyhead1234 Tue 23-Oct-12 22:42:50

Like others have said pillow between knees and gently roll onto my back than then other side. Runningblue i have more pain on one side than the other to, feel your pain!

A bath before bed can ease it a bit too.

GirlWithTheMouseyHair Tue 23-Oct-12 22:45:18

Had horrid SPD with DC2 - if it helps you feel any better my DH couldn't/didn't do anything to help in the middle of the night when I needed to turn over

Knees tightly shut, paracetamol before bed, oesteopath worked wonders for me

Runningblue Tue 23-Oct-12 22:47:29

Btw the pain has eased since me and DH decided he would decamp to spare room. Now I lie on my side in the middle of the bed and don't have to scrunch my legs up so much. Has definitely helped me get more comfortable!

confuddledDOTcom Wed 24-Oct-12 01:16:13

Oh and about the painkillers, I had it drilled into me (because I'm rubbish blush) "It's not pain relief, it's medication for your back" ie take it like a course, every 6 hours. It won't give you proper relief otherwise. If you take paracetamol as a course and it's still not helping, try co-codamol and if that doesn't work ask them to give you co-dydramol.

PragmaticWench Wed 24-Oct-12 03:18:10

In addition to keeping your knees together, someone on here recommended engaging your pelvic floor before rolling over. It seems to help me, although I don't always remember when I'm half asleep and end up yelping in the dark instead.

Woodifer Wed 24-Oct-12 12:09:06

either

knees together draw up towards bump - rollover

or
sitting up and getting back in

sleeping on a doubled over duvet under my side of the sheet, and having a thin pillow between legs (or try a dream genie)

HastaLanugo Wed 24-Oct-12 18:01:10

Loads of SPD threads right now, but no one on the existing support thread. Can I get anyone to join me? smile

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/a1346772-welcome-to-the-new-SPD-sofa-have-a-biscuit-and-a-brew

JackiePaper Wed 24-Oct-12 18:17:55

Just a little thing that might help you, try wearing silky pjs or nightie, you roll over a bit easier smile
Hope you find a way to manage, spd is no funsad

datingthedevil Thu 25-Oct-12 13:38:06

Sometimes I think if I'd kept my knees together 7 months ago I wouldn't have this pain now grin
I've started to take co-codamol at bed time now which I think is helping. X

Lora1982 Thu 25-Oct-12 16:13:52

i also use the edge of the bed to pull me over so i dont have to use much movement

Runningblue Thu 25-Oct-12 21:05:39

Hello all, had to share bed with DH last night due to spare room being used by visitors. Its confirmed my hunch that space to get comfy is really important. Pelvic pain thru night and today has been so much worse
DH got fed up with my huffing and puffing so relived to be back to spare room tonight too

horsebiscuit Thu 25-Oct-12 21:14:37

I used to get out of bed then get back in with my head at the foot. In my second pg (yes, babies are that gorgeous I did it again!) I stopped lying on my side at all as the grinding and cracking pain was too much. I slept sitting up in bed with a million pillows and sitting in my nursing chair with my feet up. I used to do 2 hours in each on rotation. SPD is a bastard. You have my intense sympathies.

rogersmellyonthetelly Sun 28-Oct-12 10:39:18

Pillow between legs, jam knees together and shuffle whilst grunting and muttering obscenities under your breath. There's no easy way I'm afraid.
I also had a strap fastened round the edge of the bed I could hold and pull on which also made getting out of bed easier, but it was only any use when turning one way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now