Talk

Advanced search

Strange feeling as if wearing a tight belt/girdle - some sort of practice contraction?

(5 Posts)
kalidasa Mon 22-Oct-12 17:38:13

I am 34+4 and have a strange feeling this evening. I have bad SPD (have been on crutches for ages) so wear a support belt/girdle thing when walking but this evening it feels as if it is on when it isn't (hasn't been on all day as was just at my desk). I mean that it feels as if there is a tight belt/girdle round my hips and lowest part of my bump. There is a band of tight pain across the bottom of my bump as if a muscle is in spasm - noticeable but not difficult to cope with, just uncomfortable. Is this some sort of practice contraction? I've had a few Braxton Hicks but they are just a tightening of the whole bump and don't hurt. I've also been getting quite a few random period-y pains the last few days but this is just such a distinctive sensation. Keeps tightening and then easing a bit but not going away completely. I keep trying to take my belt off but there's nothing there!

Can anyone shed any light? Should I worry at all? Baby seems to be fine and is shifting around as normal.

Sophiathesnowfairy Mon 22-Oct-12 20:15:14

I have those, I think is just one variation of Braxton Hicks, but if you are worried call the midwife and just put your mind at rest.

madda Mon 22-Oct-12 20:17:34

Hi OP
Agree call midwife
I would spend a few hrs this evening lying on your side alternately, to promote blood flow to the area and to take the pressure off your upper hips carrying the weight of the bump

kalidasa Mon 22-Oct-12 21:03:44

Thanks both. Seems to be easing now. Still feels a bit tight but less than before. Bump seems softer at the top as well so maybe the baby is just shifting downwards a bit and pushing on/stretching the bottom part. Will keep an eye on it and check with the midwife if it keeps happening.

madda Mon 22-Oct-12 21:30:33

I remember the softer bump at the top part happening around 35wks, baby is just probably trying to engage

rest up, hope you manage some sleep this evening OP x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now