Talk

Advanced search

If your waters broke with 1st pregnancy did the same happen with 2nd?

(14 Posts)
Plunkett Mon 22-Oct-12 07:20:35

Just that really, 1st labour started with a tv/comedy style waters breaking - so I was sure when contractions started what was happening.
Been having BH's for weeks now, and last night were really uncomfortable (though not painful as such) and quite regular. Been wondering if this could be the start of something? Guess I just assumed first sign would be waters going again.

vvviola Mon 22-Oct-12 07:25:43

Total opposite for number 2. With DD1 my waters broke at 36 weeks, contractions started about 20 minutes later.

With DD2 I went for a routine check at 39+2, to be told I was 5cm already. Got to 8cm without regular contractions (or really any I could properly feel). Waters were broken at 8cm, strong contractions starters immediately and she was born 45 minutes later grin

Plunkett Mon 22-Oct-12 07:52:00

Thanks Vvviola, guess naively presumed it would be the same. Better get timing I guess smile

AmandinePoulain Mon 22-Oct-12 07:56:08

With dd1 my membranes went with a pop and a whoosh (I must have sensed it was about the happen though, I'd got out of bed and walked into the bathroom, heard the pop and ran to the toilet so no mess grin), then contractions started a few minutes later.

With dd2 I started having regular contractions, my membranes weren't ruptured until I was in theatre during my cs.

So sorry, 2 totally different experiences! Good luck smile

AmandinePoulain Mon 22-Oct-12 07:58:37

Has your baby descended though? I was told that dd2 didn't 'pop' the membrane because she wasn't fully engaged - and despite 8 hours of labour she never went down.

Plunkett Mon 22-Oct-12 08:02:15

She hadn't at my last mw appointment but felt very low yesterday. Guess we'll just see what the day brings, all pains stopped now so thinking was a false start/wishful thinking.
Thanks for your advise ladies smile

DoNotDisturb Mon 22-Oct-12 09:36:17

With both mine the membrane didn't burst till transition. I was told I had really thick membranes so perhaps that has something to do with when your waters burst and therefore would be similar in each pregnancy.

cbeebiesatemybrain Mon 22-Oct-12 10:24:37

With dc1 my waters breaking was the first sign of labour, with dc2 they broke after about 2 hours of ctx every 2 minutes.

HappyHippyChick Mon 22-Oct-12 10:31:46

My waters broke dramatically with no other labour signs with ds1 and 2. With ds3 they had to break them and with ds4 I had been having contractions all day, then my waters broke v dramatically (during Sunday dinner with my parents!) and ds4 was born within about half an hour (I barely made it to the labour ward, nearly had him in the carpark! )

Good luck whatever happens!!

BlueChampagne Mon 22-Oct-12 12:36:10

DS1 waters broke about 12 hours before birth
DS2 waters broke at birth

mrsyattering Mon 22-Oct-12 13:09:01

waters broke with a gush with DD all over the livingroom floor at 10pm dd born at lunchtime the following day. Also with a gush all over bedroom floor (luckily I'd just got out of bed) at midnight ds born at 730am

RemindMeWhatSleepIs Mon 22-Oct-12 13:19:45

First baby (DD), woke up to go to toilet at 39 weeks, wee'd then heard popping noise and waters broke in the toilet. Contractions started about an hour later, delivered 7 hours later.

Second baby (DS), just getting into bed at 37+6 weeks, Heard the same popping noise, stuck pillow between my legs to save bed & carpet and hobbled to bathroom where waters broke. First contraction 7 hours later. 2 min contractions from the start and only just got to hospital.

sheeplikessleep Mon 22-Oct-12 13:20:20

DS1 - waters broke about 14 hours before first contraction
DS2 - waters broke an hour before first contraction.

Both times it was the first sign it was all starting.

Good luck!

iloveholidays Mon 22-Oct-12 13:23:06

They did for me... DD1 (36+2) waters broke at 4am-ish, contractions started at midday but was a gentle constant trickle. DD2 (37+4) waters broke at midnight with a gush, couldn't control a thing contractions started within 20 minutes I think on way to hospital (as she was breech so went in for EMCS).

Saying that I'd had a lot of painful braxton hicks with DD2 at 35 weeks ish which they thought was early labour. I'm now 37+3 with DD3 and had all all the early labour signs but doesnt seem to be developing and now going stir crazy not knowing!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now