Talk

Advanced search

Labour starting naturally with posterior baby?

(16 Posts)
ellangirl Sun 21-Oct-12 13:36:34

Just wrote long post and lost it-grrr!

39+5 with Dc2, DS was born at 40+8 after a sweep. Very definite strong contractions from start.

This time, baby is 3/5 engaged but completely OP. I have had lots of false labour signs, usually in evening-strong and painful Braxton hicks that stop again, lots of period cramping on and off. This has been happening for a week. Lost plug of mucus 2 weeks ago.

So, is is false labour common for all second babies? Is it worse because baby is op? Might it continue for a long time and me never go into labour naturally? I REALLY don't want to be induced with OP baby. Am scared enough after hearing the horror stories as it is sad

I know no-one can say for sure, just want to hear others experiences...

maxbear Sun 21-Oct-12 14:13:01

About quarter of babies start labour op and most turn during labour, the fact that you are having lots of bh is a good sign that you will go in to labour (hopefully soon). This happens a lot with second and subsequent babies, the labour is usually shorter but that is because you have done half of it by the time it is established. Don't let it stress you out, that won't help labour to start. Have a brew or even a sneaky wine and enjoy the peace!

newyearsday Sun 21-Oct-12 21:26:59

I had exactly as you describe for about 2 weeks!

I realised afterwards it was the baby trying to get into a better position.

You can help it to reposition, have you heard of the spinningbabies website? Try doing the position where you kneel on the side of the bed and lower your hands onto the floor (you'll need help doing this when heavily pregnant, be careful), so your torso is tilting downwards.

I ended up getting really stressed out with the false labour and I had a sweep at 40+3, four hours later I was in labour with back contractions, baby was still OP. I did regret being so impatient, if I'd waited he might have repositioned.

So my advice would be try and be patient, give baby room in your pelvis to move (see spinningbabies for positions) and good luck, baby will be here soon!

I've had three OP pregnancies and labours.

One (DS2) was induced (but that was due to problems with the placenta), the other two came naturally. I didn't have any major issues (interventions, false or extended labours) and in fact I didn't know that I 'should' until I heard all the horror stories on MN! They were late. I had very irritating back labour. It wasn't fun, but it was okay smile

OP doesn't have to mean you have a crappy labour - stay moving and upright (lying down hurts a lot more), it does help.

ellangirl Sun 21-Oct-12 22:03:40

Thanks everyone. I am trying my best not to be scared about it all,wish I didn't know it was OP! First labour was quite quick as it goes, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed this one might be ok too.
newyears I have found that website. Have tried the exercises. To begin with I could spin it round and then it would move back to back later. Now it has engaged it hasn't budged!

Twixed Sun 21-Oct-12 22:09:21

This could've been me a few weeks ago!

2nd baby, OP, loads of bh and cramping for weeks. Cervix shut tight so couldn't get a sweep even. Ended up induced (v reluctantly) but only needed a couple of pessaries and he shot out in the end! It wasn't a bad experience at all, and he turned no problem during labour.

Please try not to worry, easier said than done I know! All the best.

ellangirl Sun 21-Oct-12 22:12:23

Thanks twixed! I don't mind idea of pessaries to induce, just don't like idea of drip and being hooked up to monitor continuously. Having more contraction type pains tonight every so often, so you never know something real might be happening grin

Musomathsci Sun 21-Oct-12 22:12:46

DC2 was OP and I had a longish stop-start labour, but baby turned in labour and shot out 7 minutes later

DC3 was born OP, 41+5, single pessary induction, easy labour, no problems

Don't listen to the horror stories!

EarnestDullard Mon 22-Oct-12 17:10:08

I've had two OP labours/births. Both spontaneous, DD1 at 40+2 and DD2 at 39+4 (19 days ago!). With DD1 I needed ventouse as she just wasn't budging after pushing for 2.5 hours. DD2 took about an hour to push out, but I did it all by myself in the end. Just G&A for both.

I had one false start before 'proper' labour with DD2, 2 days before the real thing. And plenty of BHs and crampy pains in the weeks beforehand.

Try not to worry, it doesn't necessarily mean it will be a difficult birth, especially as it's your second DC.

R2PeePoo Mon 22-Oct-12 18:27:15

I usually post this blog post on these sort of threads. I found it very helpful explaining posterior positioning, sadly after I had had my two posterior babies.

Both labours were long but actually weren't particularly painful. TENs machines are good for providing counter pressure against the back contractions, also try to avoid lying down on your back if you can. Both of my started spontaneously at 41 weeks and 40+5 weeks and DD was born back to back. DS was my second baby and there was space for him to turn in my pelvis (despite him being 9lb 6oz) and he popped out the right way up. I only had G&A and TENs for his birth and it was incredibly calm and almost enjoyable.

OP labour doesn't have to be bad, its just different, the pattern of labour can be different - but that link is very good at explaining why and what you can expect.

PickleSarnie Tue 23-Oct-12 14:15:57

Both mine were OP. DS1 arrived 40+1. Went into labour naturally but was taking forever and not progressing so had syntocin and epidural.

DS2 born at 39+5. Regular contractions right away, then a few hours later I had 19 minutes of pushing (4 pushes) and no pain relief other than a tens machine.

carrielou2007 Tue 23-Oct-12 17:01:31

Induced with both of mine, both op and came out face up. Both had anterior placentas as foes this ond do bound to have this one op too! I don't know any different though, dd needed forceps, ds pretty much shot out grin

Had lots of Bh with both, couldn't do sweep with either, maybe just luck of maybe that's just how my body does itgrin

ellangirl Wed 24-Oct-12 20:37:41

For anyone reading this in the future who might be having the same worries as me, I thought I would update!

DD born yesterday on her due date. Waters broke 6.20am no contractions until 8 when she was still OP. during next hour or so contractions got a lot stronger, but she turned round spontaneously. Rest of labour v fast, 2 hours from 3-4cm and 75% effaced to her being born in the pool after all of 3 or 4 pushes grin

Thanks to all who gave advice and support on this thread.

EarnestDullard Wed 24-Oct-12 22:29:57

Congratulations! Sounds like it went really well, glad your worries turned out to be unfounded smile

newyearsday Fri 26-Oct-12 13:45:26

Wow congratulations and well done ellangirl! I'm due in March, a birth like yours is what I dream of wink enjoy your babymoon x

newyearsday Fri 26-Oct-12 14:05:47

r2peepoo thanks for the link, I've read with interest, it explains a lot - I wish I'd had better support in my b2b labour with dc1. I'm looking forward to trying again in March!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now