Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.
If you were induced and had a vbac, come and talk to me!(7 Posts)
I am really hoping to be able to have a vbac with this pregnancy (second one) but I am worried about how this will work if I have to be induced. The hospital have told me that they would like to induce me at 41 weeks. Last time I was induced at about 10 days post EDD, so worried I will naturally go over EDD again like last time.
How easy is it to vbac after induction? Will it just lead to more interventions? I am really keen to avoid an epidural (this is what sent DS1 into fetal distress and caused my emcs last time) but is that possible with the oxytocin drip (which I have heard is very painful)?
I had the drip and a three hour labour with dd1.
I think the thing is, it's completely I possible to guess what will happens Nd experiences one time don't really mean anything for the second time round.
Try to relax and good luck.
Mrs Radicchio "I am really keen to avoid an epidural (this is what sent DS1 into fetal distress and caused my emcs last time) but is that possible with the oxytocin drip (which I have heard is very painful)?"
Good luck with your VBAC but can i just say that your emcs would not have been caused by the epidural despite lots of people who wrongly claim it is linked.
There's been masses of research on this and epis do not cause : a) emcs b) perineal trauma c) lengthy labour (they only lengthen labour by less than 30 minutes).
People who ask for epidurals are usually the ones with more complicated labours and more likely to end up with complications but it isn't the epidurals causing the problems - it's the other way round - the complications lead to the epidural request.
If you go beyond 40 weeks you are a bit less likely to have a successful VBAC but it is still possible. I would make sure you talk to a consultant about the induction and oxytocin though. This is worth reading: www.rcog.org.uk/files/rcog-corp/GTG4511022011.pdf
I hope I haven't been negative - just think it is good to be armed with the full picture so you can make a good decision.
Good luck whatever you decide to do xxxx
Thanks Ushy, I have had a read of the article you linked to.
I was simplifying slightly re the epidural but the anaesthatist told me after that she thought the crouched over position you assume to have the epi caused DS to go into distress, rather than the epidural itself.
I really don't fancy having one again though!
rhonda - was your experience a vbac?
I had a successful vbac 6 months ago, I didn't need the drip though they just broke my waters and contractions started about an hour later. I had already had a vaginal birth ( 10 years ago)prior to the c section ( 8 years ago), which the hospital said gave me a better chance of a vbac this time around. It was very quick ( 4 hours start to finish) no intervention and I had a 10lb baby. I have to say it was much more painful than I remember my first birth that started naturally.
I had a VBAC and was induced with gel stuff. Had it put in and went to sleep, woke at 12 for a wee and had very strong contaction, DS was born 4 hours later. My section was a little different though as I had pre eclamsia and had a section 4 weeks early under general anasthetic so wasn't a birth intervention IYSWIM. Was a bit of a shock as i hadn't had a single contaction with DS1, i personally would have prefered a section. I actually begged for one as I have prblems with early labour/slow labour starting two weeks before i give birth and had been crawling round the floor for a fortnight
I'm also aiming for a vbac (hbac) and just wanted to say do your research before you agree to induction, make sure you're making an informed decision. My hospital will not do the oxytocin drip if you've had a cs because it increases the risk of uterine rupture.
I also went past EDD with dc1 by 12 days so am a little worried about it. I'll agree to sweeps if the baby is in a good position and will do daily fetal monitoring but that's it. The sonographer at my 20wk scan said the scan date can be 5 days out anyway, so less of the 'overdue' pressure I say! ;0)
Join the discussion
Already registered? Log in with:
Please login first.