Talk

Advanced search

Afterpains with DC3+, normally worse but how much worse is normal? Your experiences...

(11 Posts)
weezl74 Sat 20-Oct-12 06:39:34

Hi,

I knew afterpains would increase with each birth, but I wasn't sure how much of an increase is normal, or at what point you would begin to be concerned?

What were your experiences?

thanks smile

Badgerina Sat 20-Oct-12 11:43:06

My afterpains with DS1 were horrendous sad After a very straightforward drug-free labour I ended up being sent home with powerful painkillers to deal with the afterpains.

The afterpains were the thing I most dreaded this time around (closely followed by The First Poo)

I'm happy to report I have felt barely anything!

I took Raspberry Leaf capsules religiously during this pregnancy so I put it down to that - my uterus must be very toned grin

maxbear Sat 20-Oct-12 11:44:25

Hi I had physiological third stages with each of my three (ie no injection for placenta) and my after pains were no worse with the second and third although unusually I had them quite badly first time around. The injection causes strong contractions which help to control bleeding but also cause pain. It is great to have when needed but nice to avoid if not absolutely necessary.

cafebistro Sat 20-Oct-12 11:57:43

Mine definitely got worse with each pregnancy
DC1 - none at all.
DC2- mild ones.
DC3 - excruciating pain - i dreaded every breastfeed for the first few days. I took painkillers for it and I'm not pill popping kinda gal.

cbeebiesatemybrain Sat 20-Oct-12 11:59:52

That's interesting maxbear and badgerina, I had the opposite experience! Managed third stage with dc1 and afterpains were barely noticeable, natural third stage with dc2 and awful afterpains for 3 days. We're currently trying to decide whether to ttc dc3 in the next few years so I'm watching all these threads with interest but the afterpains are one thing that really worries me!

Sorry op thats not at all helpful to you, are you pg with dc3 or just given birth?

tanteclaire Sat 20-Oct-12 12:55:33

Only occasional mild afterpains here (didnt with DC2 either) although have been taking some ibuprofen here & there as always get engorgement/oversupply/fever when milk comes in. I've always had a managed third stage. In the hospital they repeatedly warned me about afterpains getting worse with DC3 and subsequent babies but it has not been an issue here.

Badgerina Sat 20-Oct-12 13:07:49

The thing is though, I had semi-managed 3rd stage with DS1 (synto injection after placenta was delivered), and a fully managed 3rd stage with DS2.

I too thought the synto jab caused my terrible afterpains first time round, but since I had it this time with no ill effects, I'm questioning my previous logic confused

squidkid Sat 20-Oct-12 13:13:08

I just had first baby 3 weeks ago - I had a physiological third stage and also took raspberry leaf tablets from 32 weeks - I did find the afterpains quite nasty for about 4 days. I managed ok with paracetamol and ibuprofen though. Every time I had one in my sleep deprived state I started feeling panicky that it was the contractions coming back!

blooblies Sat 20-Oct-12 13:27:28

My afterpains have got worse with every DC so with DC3 I have needed paracetamol and ibuprofen at times. I had an unplanned homebirth so no pain relief for that and a natural third stage, but that was enough pain for me. My previous labours involved spinals and emcs or forceps. I've taken RLT for all 3.

I've found that I suffer more from bowel pains in the aftermath of labour, sometimes debilitatingly so. When the uterus is contracting it's worst. Both this time and last time the peak of pain has been around day 10 when my uterus has been squeezing down into my pelvis. If I have anything (including air) in my bowel at the time the pain is sharp and stabbing. Must be something to do with bruising..

weezl74 Sat 20-Oct-12 14:27:51

I had DS3 on thursday, and it has been really grim. I am averageish with pain, G and A and peth for all 3 labours, and these feel like halfway through labour bad. I seriously would love a can of entonox right now.

Am maxing the codeine and have mentioned it to the MWs. It was just that I wondered if I am masking something else, like a grumbling appendix or a bowel torsion, or an ovarian cyst or something, that childbirth has somehow exascerbated.

Thinking aloud really, I know my best thing is to just (wo)man up and go to the GP.

cbeebiesatemybrain Sat 20-Oct-12 15:22:14

Congratulations! I think you should call labour ward and ask them, they will be able to advise you on whats normal and whats not. Hopefully they can help you with pain relief too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now