Talk

Advanced search

Experiences of water birth?

(12 Posts)
Msbluesky32 Thu 18-Oct-12 11:54:51

Hi everyone, I'm considering a water birth and wondered if anyone has any experiences they would be willing to share?

RikersBeard Thu 18-Oct-12 11:57:05

My experience was that DH didn't get the pool filled in time, so I ended up having DS2 on the sofa.
So if you are considering it, check the adapters work properly and start early grin

biggestregret Thu 18-Oct-12 13:09:00

Hi blue sky, I had a water birth last Friday with DS2 . It was fantastic. Intense and quite quick but the support the water gives you made the contractions more bearable and much easier to move around and change position. I had to be monitored throughout but my hospital used a wireless telemetry system that can be used in the pool. It was the natural intervention free labour I wanted and my midwives were amazing. Go for it xxx

PebblePots Thu 18-Oct-12 13:57:46

Fabulous. I had a pool at home that was already filled, so I could use it every evening to sooth my achy pregnant body in the final weeks of pregnancy. Also no rushing around filling it or keeping it warm when I went into labour. It had a heater. smile

KeithLeMonde Thu 18-Oct-12 14:01:05

I had a water birth. We hired a pool and labour progressed a bit quicker than we'd expected so it wasn't as deep as it was meant to be. Was still wonderful though.

I found that as soon as I got into the pool my contractions lengthened and deepened - I think it must have released a wave of oxytocin as getting into it was just a wonderful, relaxing feeling. DS was born in the water and was so chilled out, didn't cry but just lay in my arms looking around.

Msbluesky32 Thu 18-Oct-12 14:56:27

Thankyou ladies, I'm really hoping to create the most relaxing start to his or her life I can. It's really inspiring to hear most of you had good experiences!

halloweeneyqueeney Thu 18-Oct-12 14:59:13

I wasn't keen, but could sort of see what people liked about it, I think its the warmth, so I'll try and use heat pads this time but wont go in the pool

MikeOxardForHalloween Thu 18-Oct-12 15:04:55

I had it on birth plan for ds, having been told that everyone who wants one gets one as the hospital has 3 (or more) birth pool rooms. When I got to hospital, they said there was only enough staff for one pool birth, and someone was already having it. I had an epidural instead. Had to have an emcs in the end anyway as ds was too big to come through my pelvis. Good luck, I hope the waterbirth goes well for you. x

PebblePots Fri 19-Oct-12 18:27:54

Oh mike, rough sad

Op, if you are going for a home birth & don't mind spending a bit more, I would recommend a pool that is already filled for the 5 weeks of the pool hire. I didn't get so fed up in the final weeks & when dd was late & I'm sure it was partly thanks to having the pool to wallow in twice a day. smile

Purplecatti Sun 21-Oct-12 17:12:36

Pools are awesome. I have a heated one I've rented set up at home. I'm awake for roughly 13 hours of the day and 11 of those are spent in the pool. People do laugh to see me paddling about in my less than flattering bikini but the relief being weightless and the ability to move about without hurting is immense.
I really hope I get to stay in it for labour, I feel really safe and enclosed in it.

paperclips Mon 22-Oct-12 10:07:19

I really really really wanted a water birth. Was determined. The pool was free when I arrived at the MLU so was like yay, lemme get in! But unfortunately my waters broke as I arrived and had meconium in so I had to go to consultant led unit for monitoring, things moved very fast and ended up needing forceps delivery when his heart rate dropped.

It wasn't the perfect chilled out birth I'd daydreamed of (hurt too much to be chilled out!) But I didn't care at all when I held my beautiful healthy boy.

What I'm trying to say is, be prepared to not get the ideal water birth etc. I know a few people who've been disappointed, there are lots of reasons why people don't get to use the pool, perhaps that's why the pool on the unit is free more than you'd think.

Good luck I hope u get your peaceful water birth.

Indith Mon 22-Oct-12 10:19:26

Dc2 was a water birth. It was lovely. Watching her come out was the most amazing thing in the world, it was as though everything was in slow motion (well ok she had a bloody big head so it kind of was!), I could feel every bit of her body as it came out but without pain. One shoulder, 2 shoulders, and she slipped out and was brought to the surface. Then she screamed and screamed and screamed so not like one of those calm water babies and the cord was quite short so I couldn't keep comfortable in the water and got out. It was lovely though. It definitely helped with the head though, the stetching and ring of fire part was much better than dc1 who was born on land.

Dc3 was supposed to be a water birth too but I was well on my way to giving birth when dh broke the news that there was no hot water left (loooong story) and I had a bit of a panic thinking I couldn't do it without water. Once I'd calmed down though it was also a lovely calm birth and I felt very in control and aware of what the baby was doing and as I started to feel stretching for the head I asked the MW to apply pressure and the head popped out, no ring of fire at all it was fab smile.

So, ultimately, water birth is great, absolutely great but don't get too hung up on it. If it happens then lovely but if it doesn't you can still have a calm, in control birth. It is about mindset more than anything. And by that I mean that it is about how you deal with what comes up during our birth, I don't mean that nothing goes wrong so long as you are positive

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now