Talk

Advanced search

CS and leaving cord uncut for a while? Can it be done?

(9 Posts)
Wiggy29 Thu 18-Oct-12 08:30:39

I'm really interested in leaving the cord between 3-5 mins after birth until it has stopped pulsing to allow all of the blood to transfer. That said, I may be having an ELCS- if this is the case could I still leave the cord for a short time? Does anybody have any experience of this? hmm

QTPie Thu 18-Oct-12 08:42:22

It would vary hugely depending on the surgeon. Generally no: they want to get in and get out again (and not stand around for 5 minutes).

You need to ask your specific consultant. Are you private/NHS: there are a few more "natural ELCS" Consultants out there, but you are more likely to be able to get one (by choosing) if you are private.

Wiggy29 Thu 18-Oct-12 09:01:17

NHS. I'm not sure about the technicalities so excuse me if this question is a bit blush, but could they not lift the placenta out at the same time as the baby so it could be kept attached for a few moments? hmm

ChiefOwl Thu 18-Oct-12 09:06:25

When I had a elcs as they dropped the green screen a bit and lifted my dc up to show me i instinctively put my arms up to take him and everyone shouted no! When I asked it was the fact that I was not scrubbed etc and he was still attached and I was open. They cut the cord, wrapped him in a towel then I could have him.

I don't think they'd let you hold the baby while the cord was attached as it would be out of the sterile area. It's also very hard to hold a baby when you are flat on your back in that situation.

Wiggy29 Thu 18-Oct-12 09:14:56

Ah, seems unlikely then. sad Thanks for the info though, was wondering if I should put it in a birth plan but seems a bit pointless.

badmumalert Thu 18-Oct-12 10:20:43

I have had 2 ELCSs. With both of my children they were put straight on to my bare chest (gown on back to front) for immediate skin to skin and feeding. One had the cord cut because it was a little too short but the other baby was with cord until it stopped pulsing.

Ask the surgeon (in all probability not a consultant) if this is possible. If they say no then ask why not - what are the risks, and do they outway the benefits of retaining the cord.

I wouldn't accept any comments about being out of the sterile area!?!? Sterility is required to stop you getting an infection in your cut body, not to stop your baby getting an infection from your skin. Otherwise, a baby would never breastfeed!

I'd really like to hear how you get on with this.

QTPie Thu 18-Oct-12 13:10:09

Agree with asking the Surgeon - they really do vary: mine wouldn't allow husband to cut the cord (although some surgeons do) - her reason was that husband wasn't sterile. Personally I have a dislike of arguing with the person wielding the scalpel over my body smile

The placenta takes a bit longer to come out than the baby (a bit if tugging and pulling to get it out ;) ). Once the placenta is delivered, the "more risky" part of the operation is finished (and my surgeon allowed skin-to-skin at this point).

QT

Fairylea Thu 18-Oct-12 13:15:09

My dh was allowed to cut the cord so I'd definitely ask 're any other requests. I think it depends on how busy they are etc.

I was unable to hold ds as I was very shakey from the drugs etc but dh held him close to me so I could see and talk to him.

IcouldstillbeJoseph Thu 18-Oct-12 13:22:30

I work as a MW and there is a quite old school consultant where I work that has researched this and changed his practice to delay cord clamping at CS - provided baby does not require immediate life-saving action, of course.
The baby will remain in the sterile field in this time. It us not until the cord has been clamped and the third stage drugs given that the placenta is lifted out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now