Talk

Advanced search

Caesarean after bad tearing 1st birth?

(8 Posts)
BoyMeetsWorld Sun 14-Oct-12 22:31:34

Just as the title suggests really...

I had a good birth with DC1. Up until the point he got stuck & had to be forceps-ed out resulting in episiotomy & pretty severe tearing. It's caused discomfort & sex life issues ever since.

For those who had bad tearing during a previous birth, would you ask for a C Section next time round or try au naturel again?

cravingcake Mon 15-Oct-12 07:40:32

I personally will be going for ELCS if there is a next time. I had 4th degree tear, episiotomy (which tore also), forceps delivery, shoulder dystocia and pph. I have had counselling for post traumtic stress disorder and post natal depression so for me this is a fairly easy decision.

I think its a personal choice for what suits you, if i'd only had one problem then i would consider a vb but both my partner & i never ever want to go through what we went through first time ever again.

ImNotCute Mon 15-Oct-12 07:53:02

I had 3rd degree tear with dc1 and had elcs with dc2, earlier this year. I was happy with my choice, but it's a personal decision.

The midwives were fairly dismissive of my worries and all for me doing it naturally but I asked to see docs to discuss and they said they really couldn't predict if I would tear again or do much to prevent it. If I had torn again it would be less likely to heal well than the 1st time. I wasn't prepared to risk incontinence, pretty grim.

But of course 2nd delivery might have been much easier and I could have got an infected scar from the cs, it's a tough call. Looking back I'm v happy with my choice, even tho recovering from cs was a little inconvenient at the time.

ICompletelyKnowAboutGuineaPigs Tue 16-Oct-12 20:36:34

I had bad tear with DC1 following an episiotomy with ventouse delivery then ELCS with DC2 but planning a VBAC with DC3 next year!

I chose the section because I was afraid of a second tear that would worsen and cause long term problems. BUT this time I'm having scans of the scar tissue and going to decide from there. There is a really helpful thread on here that explains about tearing and the different options for subsequent births.

Chubfuddler Tue 16-Oct-12 20:40:19

I had an ELCS with dc2 following a nasty tear with dc1. The midwives were very dismissive about my concerns, the consultant was right on board and recommended an ELCS. I made a brilliant recovery from the surgery, am still bfing dd at 14 months.

Chubfuddler Tue 16-Oct-12 20:42:44

Oh I should say my decision was made easier by fact I knew I would not be having any more children, hence I didn't have to factor in VBAC or repeat CS concerns. Consultant assured me the risks of CS such as they were were all loaded on me, which I was fine with.

apostropheuse Tue 16-Oct-12 22:29:27

I had a forceps delivery due to foetal distress with first birth. I had a large episiotomy with many internal and external stitches.

I had my second baby vaginally and had one small stitch - I tore slightly due to the previous episiotomy. It was a much easier delivery (and rapid at one hour twenty minutes) and honestly I had no problems afterwards. (I only had fourteen months between the births so if I had more time between them I might not even have had the one stitch).

milk Thu 18-Oct-12 17:23:27

My consultant (Barnet Hospital) said if I had a 3rd degree tear (or worse) then I could have a CS.

I didn't want a CS (I hate paper cuts, so you can imagine how I'd feel with a massive cut around my belly) so was happy when my old notes said it was only a 2nd degree tear smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now