Talk

Advanced search

Caesarean after bad tearing 1st birth?

(8 Posts)
BoyMeetsWorld Sun 14-Oct-12 22:31:34

Just as the title suggests really...

I had a good birth with DC1. Up until the point he got stuck & had to be forceps-ed out resulting in episiotomy & pretty severe tearing. It's caused discomfort & sex life issues ever since.

For those who had bad tearing during a previous birth, would you ask for a C Section next time round or try au naturel again?

cravingcake Mon 15-Oct-12 07:40:32

I personally will be going for ELCS if there is a next time. I had 4th degree tear, episiotomy (which tore also), forceps delivery, shoulder dystocia and pph. I have had counselling for post traumtic stress disorder and post natal depression so for me this is a fairly easy decision.

I think its a personal choice for what suits you, if i'd only had one problem then i would consider a vb but both my partner & i never ever want to go through what we went through first time ever again.

ImNotCute Mon 15-Oct-12 07:53:02

I had 3rd degree tear with dc1 and had elcs with dc2, earlier this year. I was happy with my choice, but it's a personal decision.

The midwives were fairly dismissive of my worries and all for me doing it naturally but I asked to see docs to discuss and they said they really couldn't predict if I would tear again or do much to prevent it. If I had torn again it would be less likely to heal well than the 1st time. I wasn't prepared to risk incontinence, pretty grim.

But of course 2nd delivery might have been much easier and I could have got an infected scar from the cs, it's a tough call. Looking back I'm v happy with my choice, even tho recovering from cs was a little inconvenient at the time.

ICompletelyKnowAboutGuineaPigs Tue 16-Oct-12 20:36:34

I had bad tear with DC1 following an episiotomy with ventouse delivery then ELCS with DC2 but planning a VBAC with DC3 next year!

I chose the section because I was afraid of a second tear that would worsen and cause long term problems. BUT this time I'm having scans of the scar tissue and going to decide from there. There is a really helpful thread on here that explains about tearing and the different options for subsequent births.

Chubfuddler Tue 16-Oct-12 20:40:19

I had an ELCS with dc2 following a nasty tear with dc1. The midwives were very dismissive about my concerns, the consultant was right on board and recommended an ELCS. I made a brilliant recovery from the surgery, am still bfing dd at 14 months.

Chubfuddler Tue 16-Oct-12 20:42:44

Oh I should say my decision was made easier by fact I knew I would not be having any more children, hence I didn't have to factor in VBAC or repeat CS concerns. Consultant assured me the risks of CS such as they were were all loaded on me, which I was fine with.

apostropheuse Tue 16-Oct-12 22:29:27

I had a forceps delivery due to foetal distress with first birth. I had a large episiotomy with many internal and external stitches.

I had my second baby vaginally and had one small stitch - I tore slightly due to the previous episiotomy. It was a much easier delivery (and rapid at one hour twenty minutes) and honestly I had no problems afterwards. (I only had fourteen months between the births so if I had more time between them I might not even have had the one stitch).

milk Thu 18-Oct-12 17:23:27

My consultant (Barnet Hospital) said if I had a 3rd degree tear (or worse) then I could have a CS.

I didn't want a CS (I hate paper cuts, so you can imagine how I'd feel with a massive cut around my belly) so was happy when my old notes said it was only a 2nd degree tear smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: