Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Breeched baby

(9 Posts)
xmasevebundle Fri 12-Oct-12 17:33:19

Im 29+4, on wednesday i had the MW and she wrote on my notes hes breeched?

Will he move? He has been like this since 27-28 weeks and hasnt moved since(he might be very comfygrin)

I have got her again on the 31st, i will be 32w, i have a consultant on the 6th nov as i want a c-section.

If hes still breeched at 33, will it be another thing i can tell the consultant/will be another good thing(so to say)

Twinkleinmyeye Fri 12-Oct-12 21:58:41

Hmm, don't think they'll do a c section just cos he's breeched. If there are other reasons as well, it can't hurt to point it out if he is still in that position! To be honest there's still plenty of chance he could turn around, DS2 turned around about 30 weeks I think (it looked a bit freaky: alien style!!).

Good luck whatever happens.

QTPie Fri 12-Oct-12 22:33:23

It is standard to do a CS for breech babies. However, 29 weeks is far too early to tell (they only start to consider CS, for breech, at 35/36 weeks).

QT

popsypie Fri 12-Oct-12 22:37:08

My dd1 was a breech baby until 37 and a half weeks. She did an epic alien style turn one evening about two days before I had a scan booked to check she was still breech, if she was she would have been turned that day. However the sonographer just said "the head is down" and that was that!! I was a bit gutted tbh cos I wanted to avoid labour! In hindsight I can see natural delivery easier to recover from. But OP 29 weeks is far to easy to be concerned. Don't worry until 37 weeks.

MummysHappyPills Fri 12-Oct-12 22:39:54

You could still be ok at this stage. My dd was breech at 36 weeks but unfortunately she then didn't move and I had 2 failed ECVs and an ELCS.

I'm sure lo will move back! grin (spend all your time on all fours, didn't work for me but worth a go! grin)

popsypie Fri 12-Oct-12 22:41:10

Walking up and downstairs sideways is supposed to help too. As is on all fours as has just been said and swaying from side to side!

MummysHappyPills Fri 12-Oct-12 22:42:38

And yes cs is standard for breech baby. You could push for breech birth if you like, but it is not recommended and it might be difficult to find mws/obgyns who are experienced in breech births. That's what swung it for me in the end.

Emerald6 Fri 12-Oct-12 23:29:36

Hi Xmasevebundle,
I noticed on your post you're asking for a csection.
I had my consultant appointment and sizing scan two weeks ago. Following traumatic first delivery I was going into appointment asking for a c section (long story, another thread). At the scan we discovered baby was breech (I had thought this for ages). I'm booked in for c section in two weeks. After consultant appointment, I was granted a c section regardless of baby being breech. But i think breech baby's are often c sectioned - i only know one VB, rest all been c sectioned.

MummysHappyPills Sat 13-Oct-12 00:16:31

My mum had a breech vb with my brother. But after a paper published in 2000 which found that vb had worse outcomes for vb breech babies, the policy has been to offer cs. This paper has been criticised since, but however now as many breech babies are born by cs, hcps experienced in breech vb are hard to come by.

iirc, breech vb will be doen with an epidural and "hands off"c approach to minimise pushing and trauma to baby, i.e. baby will be delivered by gravity only. So a completely "natural" breech vb will be unlikely nowadays (although my mum had one in the 80s). Sometimes I wish I had given breech vb a go, but then again dd and I are both happy and healthy, so whilst I may never have the full vb "experience", I still feel very blessed to have had a very calm and serene birth experience with my elcs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now