Talk

Advanced search

What to wear for childbirth?

(21 Posts)
rubyhorse Fri 12-Oct-12 15:10:45

Hello - expecting my third DC so you think I'd remember, but I don't have a clue what I wore to give birth the last couple of times.

Could anyone remind me what's sensible, please? Also any links to actual, real items of clothing would be brilliant - I know that one recommendation is a button-up nightshirt, but I've never yet seen one in a maternity size...

Twinkleinmyeye Fri 12-Oct-12 17:15:33

I just got a cheapy nightshirt from Asda, thinking it'd probably get stained and ruined, and then I'd just chuck it. It didn't get ruined first time round though, so I wore it again for DS2! Now it's a teeny bit stained, but will still be going on if we ever go for DC3... smile

It was just a regular nightshirt, but in a larger than normal (for me) size. Then I changed into button up cotton PJs for my hospital stay which were v practical for BFing.

Good luck with your labour and new baby!

PoppyScarer Fri 12-Oct-12 17:18:25

I did buy one of those Womama black birthing wraps for DC2 and I have to say, it was really good, maintained some dignity and covered me up enough, plus didn't show the bloodstains!

First time around I found a cheap long shirt from Tesco with buttons or poppers down the front for the first feed/skin to skin time. It had to be chucked out afterwards.

KateByChristmas Fri 12-Oct-12 18:50:51

I wore primani long nightshirts, I bought a couple in case I wanted a freshen up £6 I think - also they have button tops good for bf. I actually threw them straight on the bin though.

KateByChristmas Fri 12-Oct-12 18:52:12

Don't forget dark pjs are best for just after giving birth and BIG pants to keep the pads on place wink the glamour.

weegiemum Fri 12-Oct-12 18:55:16

I had a large size knee length nightshirt. I wore it for all my births and still have it in the cupboard

rubyhorse Fri 12-Oct-12 20:09:28

Thanks, everyone. I'll have another look around again, but large, dark nightshirts seem to be rarer than hens' teeth at the moment!

Flisspaps Fri 12-Oct-12 20:13:24

An old white t-shirt of DH's. same one for both DC.

WhispersOfWickedness Fri 12-Oct-12 20:18:40

Weeeell, I had a normal baggy nightie for dc1 which was fine and survived well after a good wash so was going to wear it again for dc2. DH helped me out of my clothes and went to get it out of the bag but had to be called back quickly as I got the urge to push, so I ended up giving birth in the nude the second time grinblush

kellestar Fri 12-Oct-12 20:21:07

socks... feels slightly embarrassed now, but I was hot and pacing. Once I got on the bed they put me in a hospital gown. I had taken in with me a t-shirt nightie that I've had for decades, but it only got worn once I ended up staying on the ward.

brighterfuture Fri 12-Oct-12 20:25:09

I gave birth to dc3 very quickly and had on a very lovely dress my good friend had lent me for my pregnancy blush . I also had my knickers on which had to be cut off as the head was coming out !

FloweryBoots Fri 12-Oct-12 20:29:42

I went for a shower to help with the pains early on and never put anything on when I came out blush it just never occured to me to get dressed again! Was transfered from birthing unit to labour ward and do remember them putting a (what felt at the time to be an ENORMOUS, and hugely folded thefore very think, but really probably wasn't) sheet over me. I have a vague recollection of trying to tell them I was hot and didn't want it and got quite miffed with the poor bloke trying to transport me in a wheel chair who was so insistent I keep it on!

They put me in a hospital gown to then go up to post natal (again, it didn't seem to occur to me to just ask for DH or the MW to get my pyjamas out of the bag).

I had a long cheep bagy nightshirt I had taken to wear!

Rockchick1984 Sat 13-Oct-12 09:42:29

I got a two pack of nighties from mothercare, spaghetti straps which undo like a feeding bra so easy for skin to skin. Wore one for labour, then the other one for postnatal ward.

whatsoever Sat 13-Oct-12 10:09:44

Primark definitely the best place I found for big, cheap, dark coloured night shirts. I've got a couple, one of which came with matching bottoms in case I feel a bit exposed on the post-natal ward (though shouldn't as they're knee length).

Got a couple of t-shirt type nighties from M&S too but they don't button all the way down so not so good for afterwards.

Midgetm Sat 13-Oct-12 15:54:52

Primani Have black nighties with buttons in at the moment.

VintageNancy Sat 13-Oct-12 16:52:31

I wore... nothing! I really didn't care in the slightest either.

Sophiathesnowfairy Sat 13-Oct-12 19:35:16

I have bought a JoJo birthing wrap which is a cheaper version of the womana birthing wrap. I did hospital gown last ti e and was really uncomfortable thinking that I was flashing my bum the whole time, which I don't think helped with the relaxing side of it.

surroundedbyblondes Sat 13-Oct-12 19:47:03

Bought a cheap nightie with buttons on the front which I wore for DD1. Surprisingly it washed fine and was all ready in my bag for DD2. But we didn't have time on arriving at hospital and I ended up in the T-shirt I was wearing when I came in.
Both times just hoiked it up for skin to skin/bf

cakelover75 Sun 14-Oct-12 09:43:29

Hi,
I bought a very dark grey night shirt from Primark last week for labour. They had a couple to choose from as well and I just got a really big size as it will be binned afterwards. I also bought a nice pair of black 'lounge wear' type trousers to wear after but this has reminded me I have no top yet! They didn't have a great selection of dark coloured matching jammies if I remember correctly. Got my big comfy post labour pants from there too so it does everything!

rubyhorse Mon 29-Oct-12 13:00:10

Thanks, everyone - will take a waddle over to Primark and have a look at what they have!

PurpleGentian Mon 29-Oct-12 23:28:25

I wore a black nightie I got from Mothercare, it had spaghetti straps and those drop down feeding clips.

And because it was black, it was impossible for me to tell if it was covered in blood or not.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now