Advanced search

Help, my fanjo's broken...

(15 Posts)
aimingtobeaperfectionist Fri 12-Oct-12 12:45:51

When I had my DC I tore my labia in half. After the birth one of the midwives said to the other (seemingly more experienced) one 'I've never seen this type of tear, I'm not sure what I'm doing'. The more senior midwife said 'just put a couple of stitches in'. There was a discussion about types of stitches/needles to be used and then she stitched me up.
Over the next couple of weeks I was checking the healing and realised the stitches were very loose (they fell out after a week) and the skin wasn't even touching so not healing at all. I kept mentioning it to my visiting midwives as it was very sore and I was concerned about it. Finally someone looked at it (oh, the dignity) and decided I'd need to see the doctor for antibiotics (there was no infection). The visiting midwives were quite anxious to get me signed off at this point so not too happy about the docs app but I kept insisting. Their line till then had been 'oh it'll heal just give it time'.
So I saw the doctor who told me there was no tear at all (!!) and I was imagining it. It looked like that before I had DC- she managed to tell me this even though id felt it tear, been stitched and she's never seen my fanjo pre baby?!
So she refers me to a consultant 'as its cosmetic'. Had an op, very painful 2/3 week recovery and now... IT'S STILL BROKEN!!! There's a hole in my fanjo (an extra one). I just can't believe it. Back to see te consultant an he's very dismissive, not really giving me any answers/hope and I just can't go through all that again for it to end up the same or worse. Any thoughts please?

stargirl1701 Fri 12-Oct-12 12:51:44

No advice but horrified on your behalf. My legs are crossed! I would def seek a second opinion. Then make a complaint! Bloody shocking treatment.

snowmummy Fri 12-Oct-12 13:06:24

Also very shocked at your treatment. I would seek a referral elsewhere and make a complaint about the dismissive midwives and the consultant. Good luck.

aimingtobeaperfectionist Fri 12-Oct-12 17:49:26

Can I complain? I feel like I need to but no idea where to start. Have considered asking for another consultant but a bit scared of having anything else done as its now worse than it was to start with and I can't see how it's ever going to be any better. sad

stargirl1701 Fri 12-Oct-12 18:18:08

There is a formal NHS complaints procedure. Ask for the leaflet. It is yellow I think. You are def entitled to a second opinion. I have heard of an organisation called PALS - I think they can help with patient complaints

TodaysAGoodDay Fri 12-Oct-12 18:20:47

I'd complain if I was you. A similar thing happened to my SIL, she tore very badly, and when she was stitched up they gave her an extra flap shock She was too scared to get anything done, but she did complain, not that it got her anywhere. Good luck with sorting it, it sounds very painful sad

whatinthewhatnow Fri 12-Oct-12 18:30:04

Cosmetic or not, it's your fanjo after all, you do have a right to have it looking and feeling ok. So my qualms would be:

1) the initial repair - should a more experienced mw or dr have done it?

2) the community midwives - could they done anything? probably not, if it was healed by then, but perhaps they should have informed you better of what course of action you needed to take (eg wait a few weeks then ask for a gynae referral for repair). Also it sounds like they reassured you initially without actually looking at it? if so, that's not ok - if someone is reporting increased or persistent pain then it should always be checked.

3) the consultant - if you're left with another hole in your fanjo then they've fucked up.

Complain to the hospital (s) about the midwives and the consultant. PALS will help you do it. It's patient advice and liaison service. I think every hospital has one.

4) the GP for being a bellend and thinking she knows more about your fanjo than you and not listening to your problems properly.

You'll have to go through the PCT for this one.

Good luck.

whatinthewhatnow Fri 12-Oct-12 18:30:32

oh, and of course request an appointment with a different consultant.

ledkr Fri 12-Oct-12 18:31:30

Pay to have a private consultation for second opinion with a plastic surgeon then skip back to NHs I did it when had breast cancer. Pals can advise with this too.

ledkr Fri 12-Oct-12 18:33:08

You can ring their private secretary directly just ask at the switchboard

Shakey1500 Fri 12-Oct-12 18:38:55

I absolutely second seeing a different consultant. In fact, demand to be referred. That's just awful.

I had a 4th degree tear which was stitched incorrectly, became infected, repaired again (and I thought childbirth was painful!), repaired yet again by the same consultant and STILL wasn't right. All because I stupidly trusted the butcher consultant and all he was telling me.

It took me almost a year to pluck up the courage to go back to my GP and ask to be referred to a different consultant. He couldn't have been nicer and I was repaired correctly.

Incidently, I tried making a claim and couldn't as, they couldn't prove (without doubt) that it was the consultant who was responsible for any infection, he had used the right sized stitches. I gave up in the end.

Two years later, I served the first consultant at my place of work. He didn't recognise me of course (was just a tad arrogant as an individual). I threw his goods down and snatched payment from him. Unprofessional? Undoubtedly. Worth it? Oh yes grin

aimingtobeaperfectionist Fri 12-Oct-12 19:38:26

Its so nice to have people listen, understand and have compassion- I could cry. DC is nearly 5 months now and it's the only thing im struggling with. It might be a small thing to some people but it's not for me and I've just felt so sad about it, not really knowing what to do. Thank you for the replies. Means a lot just knowing people are listening.

rogersmellyonthetelly Sat 13-Oct-12 10:51:00

Ask for a different consultant. I had a repair 6 months after ds1. It did at least make me functional again as I could have sex normally and sit down properly, but 7 years on and I still hate how it looks and won't allow dh to go down there because I hate how it feels. This is possibly just me being a bit neurotic but you fanjo is such a personal area, feeling that it's somehow not right is really difficult to live with. After this dc is born, def our last, im going to see someone privately and see what they can do.

ledkr Sat 13-Oct-12 10:53:33

How dare they fob off women in this situation I bet it would be different if it was a mans penis grrrrr

rogersmellyonthetelly Sat 13-Oct-12 13:23:20

Thing is it can be quite tricky stitching complicated tears in the immediate aftermath of birth trauma. It's understandably very swollen and bruised, so easy to see why stitches that were tight and correct at the time would be loose and useless after a few days, and even 24 hours is pushing it a bit to restitch something, you need fresh wound edges to get a good result. That said the way op has been treated by her gp and consultant since is a bloody disgrace!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: